Ford Cabriolet Wanted: 1931 Slant Windshield 68C

Looking for an older restoration, good driving condition 1931 Model A Ford 68C Cabriolet. Prefer a darker color car (Lombard Blue, Black, Ford Maroon, Brewster Green & Black--not so much Bronson Yellow/Seal Brown, or Green, but am open to anything depending on price). I would prefer to avoid a project requiring major restoration. If you or someone you know is thinking of selling their car, please contact me regarding price and condition. Reply to this thread or call 937-638-5955 or 419-582-2861.

Thanks,

likesL29s

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

OP should be all over this. Reasonable price indeed and nice color. Ad seems legitimate to the degree the picture is clear and a phone number vs. Aonomous email address is provided.

Like it but still counting my blessings to have been able to add one more already this year.

It's a legit ad.  That's a little local trader.  Not much scamming in that and the price is realistic where as if it was 5-10,00 I would say yup scam.  Reverse the phone number and see if it matches where it's listed to be.  A lot of time it even gives you the owner's name and whether it's a landline or not. 

I expect a finder's fee LOL  ;)

This is how I find all these great cars.  If you wasted as much time as I do searching and networking (bs'ing) you are bound to eventually stumble across something.

Good luck and don't drag your feet.  If it's what you want and what you want seems to be fairly rare and specific you will kick yourself for not moving on it. 

Guest AlCapone

Looking for an older restoration, good driving condition 1931 Model A Ford 68C Cabriolet. Prefer a darker color car (Lombard Blue, Black, Ford Maroon, Brewster Green & Black--not so much Bronson Yellow/Seal Brown, or Green, but am open to anything depending on price). I would prefer to avoid a project requiring major restoration. If you or someone you know is thinking of selling their car, please contact me regarding price and condition. Reply to this thread or call 937-638-5955 or 419-582-2861.

Thanks,

likesL29s

Auburn seeker has found you one, look at his post !

Wayne

Yes, as Wayne states, have you contacted the seller of this car?  I'm really anxious for you to find one, you've been looking for a while, and this seems to match what you ask for perfectly, at a very reasonable price......

Let us know what you find out, and hopefully when you've made a deal!!

I have a client who has wanted a specific kind of car for a long time. I keep floating them past him, maybe as many as 15 of them. He keeps passing because the price isn't right, the color isn't right, too many miles, too few miles, not nice enough, too nice, "Gee, I really wanted a manual transmission," etc. I finally gave up, figuring he liked the dream and the pursuit of such a car, but the idea of actually owning it terrified him. I stopped wasting my time and don't really even respond to his E-mails with links to Ebay auctions and Hemmings asking, "What do you think of this one?"

For some guys, it's the fishing rather than the catching that's appealing.

Thanks for the tip--Auburnseeker.  I am not a dreamer, just a guy with a budget.  Also, I would appreciate not being called names or labelled.  This car has been listed for over 3 years at a much higher price.  I work full time and do not always check this site because for weeks and months there has sometimes been nothing to see.  You old guys wonder why younger people get turned off by the old car hobby:  just read your own posts.

Such posts are made because we've followed your search for a while now, and then when people try to help you find a suitable car, and indeed find one, there's silence from your end.  If you ask for help on a forum, and people try to give you that help, then it would stand to reason that you'd check very often to see what's being put in front of you.

What you're reading isn't meant to be mean, it's the frustration from our end of saying hey, hey, here's the car, and at a reasonable price, we're glad for you, and then being met with either silence or "car's been listed at higher price" which means what, that you don't want it now that they've lowered the price?

Not trying to be mean, trying to help. But as Matt points out, there can be a point where it's just too frustrating to even try to help.  Good luck with your search........

I have a client who has wanted a specific kind of car for a long time. I keep floating them past him, maybe as many as 15 of them. He keeps passing because the price isn't right, the color isn't right, too many miles, too few miles, not nice enough, too nice, "Gee, I really wanted a manual transmission," etc. I finally gave up, figuring he liked the dream and the pursuit of such a car, but the idea of actually owning it terrified him. I stopped wasting my time and don't really even respond to his E-mails with links to Ebay auctions and Hemmings asking, "What do you think of this one?"

For some guys, it's the fishing rather than the catching that's appealing.

Well said Matt !!!

I only stated this as mentioned because of the silence and the apparent reasonable nature of the price.  I want an auburn as well but highly doubt one will be run in front of me for 15G.  I know what I want is in the 50G range and up so when the time comes I will be prepared to entertain those when I ask for leads and tips.  Otherwise I'm wasting every bodies time and discouraging future good leads.

Like Matt,  I have a family Friend with a towing service that makes pretty good money who told me to let him know if i ever find a Nice 55-57 GMC Pickup truck he would be interested.   They are not real common in the Northeast.  I found one the next state over.  Very nice.  Excellent chrome which is a biggie and very stock which is what he wants.  Well I mentioned it to him told him 23,000  would buy it.  He hemmed and hawed then never followed up. 

I guess that's what seperates me and other guys around here from what we deem as the dreamers.  

When I get serious,  I follow through.  Hey guys I want a 58-60 Corvette.  I figure my budget then initiate my search.  I checked every site,  old leads, then within a month found a Fuel injected 60 on the other side of the USA.  It was really just a little more than I wanted to spend but I realized as many have said you get a lot less for just a little less so I pulled some strings and bought it then had it shipped.   Another 2500 over my budget that I actually had to put on a credit card and bust my butt to pay for in the next month. 

My Cord is a similar story. In fact I think alot of my cars were/ are.

These actions helped us get our new house.  The guy I bought our house from didn't know me. I know his Brother who does towing for me (different guy than above) and he's the one that told us his brother's place was for sale. I had only met the brother once before in passing.  

When we looked at the house we told him we would buy it but he needed to hold the Mortgage for a few years. (it's not a cheap place) He said he had heard I follow through with something when I say I want it. That alone got us the house.  No credit check, no income verification, just a man's word backed by results.  It's hard to believe in today's world that can still hold up but it does.

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I get waiting for the right car, but not sure where this one misses the mark in terms of seeming to be in reasonable condition for the price currently advertised. I also thought the cab that Mercer 09 was selling was a square deal for a project car. Admittedly don't remember if that is a slant or not though.

Sometimes it is a case of deciding if the range in mind is realistic. Curti suggested a pair of early CT license plates to me several months back, I wanted a set but was hoping to find a set for less money but in the same shape. Well 3 months later we bought the set Curti suggested (thanks for that suggestion!) when it resurfaced on ebay. Moral of the story is sometimes the right deal is there but it may take some time to realize that. Then the decision is if it is still worth it tor you. I figured I would rather have the nice set than spend three years looking to save say $100. For me it made sense but it took a while to get there. A

Not a typical A search in that cabs are a little unusual. Add to that one year body and certain colors, no heavy project and no high point high dollar cars and you will be somewhat limited. I think somewhere along the lines OP notes he is ok if the right deal never materializes so he knows it's a tall order with whatever his numbers are. This from another thread on same topic from the OP.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Well if the 31 is too nice and Mercer09's cab is too much of a project perhaps we have one here that's just right. Not sure how to attach link on mobile app but this is in the western MA cl this morning. How's about a 30 cab, black, running, unrestored, seller claims rust free, $14K.

Can you put in the same shape as the 31 for the difference, unlikely but a good middle ground option with some compromise

Thanks for the tip--Auburnseeker.  I am not a dreamer, just a guy with a budget.  Also, I would appreciate not being called names or labelled.  This car has been listed for over 3 years at a much higher price.  I work full time and do not always check this site because for weeks and months there has sometimes been nothing to see.  You old guys wonder why younger people get turned off by the old car hobby:  just read your own posts.

So did you call on the car now that it's been marked down to a very reasonable price?

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

a 68B was just listed on ebay last week-was a project and went for 8700. on a buy it now

looked pretty similar to the black one on CL-but motor was frozen and the big question with these cars is the wood.

of course it wasnt a slant, but quite reasonable at 8700.

sometimes you just have to pull the trigger...................................

The OP seems very adamant about the 31 slant and in non yellow nice driver not freshly restored but not really needing any real work at a very good buy.  So I don't think any of those will work.  When he does find exactly what he wants I hope he lets me know if there is an equally rare Open Auburn ,  Duesenberg or Cord in the next stall that will be available at a similar discount because I can scrape up 50 G if there is a boat tail speedster or 12 cylinder Cabriolet or convertible sedan being offered.  I'll even open the field a bit and consider a Packard, stutz or Pierce arrow of similar vintage  but they have to be open and preferably black or maroon although I may consider just the right shades of green.  I prefer a red interior as well.  Show chrome would be nice as well as a fully rebuilt engine.  

• Like 1

New would be nice but I could probably be flexible on that. I mean if the price were really really good I could probably buy a new set :) 

Speaking of that.  I have to go out to the garage and mount the new tires on my 49 Chevy pickup. Got to love the tire iron and pry bar method.  Only 4 left to go.

I've been doing one at a time.  The first one came off real hard.  Atleast getting the bead broken down. (the others went alot better)   I decided to blast just the inside of the rim for now to make sure it's real clean then paint before mounting the new shoes.  I figured why spend the extra bucks to powder coat them now.  Probably a poor decision as it takes an hour plus just to blast the inside of the rim,  then figure in the paint and another half hour messing around to paint.  My powder coater only charges 70.00  a rim.  Should have spent my time wiser sold a little junk and had them done.  I still have to blast and paint the outsides some day.  I often have said owning a blast cabinet is almost more of a curse than a blessing.  I find myself blasting stuff I normally wouldn't.  Everything always takes longer than you expect.  Especially if you have a really big cabinet you do even bigger stuff.  If I ever upgrade I'm going to get a really big compressor and switch to a big nozzle. Anyways the rims will be going back on today.  I have 2 tires left to mount.   They go back on pretty quick. 

• Like 1

Hand mounted my first set of 600x16 tires at 14, by hand with some hot soapy water and a bycicle air pump. DAD was surprised as we were planning to bring them to his friends garage to mount them.

Back to op search, nice restored slant in hmn, $27k, in latest issue. All the money and yellow, but another example of what's currently available.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest AlCapone

Such posts are made because we've followed your search for a while now, and then when people try to help you find a suitable car, and indeed find one, there's silence from your end. If you ask for help on a forum, and people try to give you that help, then it would stand to reason that you'd check very often to see what's being put in front of you.

What you're reading isn't meant to be mean, it's the frustration from our end of saying hey, hey, here's the car, and at a reasonable price, we're glad for you, and then being met with either silence or "car's been listed at higher price" which means what, that you don't want it now that they've lowered the price?

Not trying to be mean, trying to help. But as Matt points out, there can be a point where it's just too frustrating to even try to help. Good luck with your search........

I agree with you totally. Sometimes it is frustrating to try to help someone that does not seem to be legitimately interested in being helped! JMO. Wayne Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

Just curious if anyone else noticed that the partially disassembled '31 Model A Cabriolet purchased by Mike Wolfe during the August 5 episode of American Pickers appeared to be a slant windshield 68C. I thought about this discussion when I saw it! He got it in New Mexico, from the daughter of a deceased Model A collector. It was a bundle buy, if I remember correctly...the Pickers also got a '28 or '29 Roadster in the deal. No idea what becomes of the cars they buy. The episode—titled "Space Oddities"—is probably watchable online somewhere.