1935 Dodge - Spare tires on the front fenders? How can I tell?

thomas1ds

This car was inherited about 5 years ago from my dad. I've hardly had any time to work on it, until recently. Just got the original rims and tires back on. A lot of time is spent trying to find a few parts here and there to make it complete. The car was repainted in the past by the previous owner. More pictures to come.

I am not sure if this car originally had spare tires on the front fenders or not, but if you look under the front passenger side fender, you can see a wheel shaped enclosure that had been bodywork filled on the top, so you could never tell from above. (The driver side front fender does not have this enclosure).I'll attach pictures of the underside of fender soon.

Is there a way to tell if these fender well spares were original equipment? What are my chances of finding the tire covers and all the bells and whistles that come with it? All I have to go on is a Serial number on the engine. All other tags on the vehicle are gone :-(

post-78154-143142328167_thumb.jpg

post-78154-143142328171_thumb.jpg

post-78154-143142328173_thumb.jpg

Sounds as if one of 3 things may have happened. Either the car was wrecked/rusted/damaged and one of the front sidemount fenders was replaced with a non-sidemount fender and the passenger side wheel well was filled in to match OR the car was wrecked/rusted/damaged and had to have a replacement fender and the only one they could find was a sidemount fender and they filled the passenger side in to match the driver's side fender OR someone replaced the fender on the passenger side with a truck fender which had the hole for the spare in it.

• Like 1

The 4 door sedan is the base model sedan and I think it would be very unlikely that the original buyer would spring for the extra money for sidemounts and an extra wheel in the depths of the depression. I suspect ,like Keiser, that the welled fender may have been a replacement.

Nice car Thomas

It appears the rear tire cover is original so my question to the forum would be : Did cars equipped with sidemounts also have a rear spare tire ?

Cheers

Mark

Not usually, but anything is possible, I suppose. I have seen sidemount cars with a rear spare, but in those instances, they were added later by the owners.

• Like 1

Your car is called a "4Dr Sedan". A bit more rare than the "4Dr Touring Sedan" that had a trunk built into the back. Access to your "trunk" is behind the rear seat.

From the description given, and the ensuing discussion, I would tend to agree with "Keiser" who stated "someone replaced the fender on the passenger side with a truck fender which had the hole for the spare in it."

To check this out, look for a fairly large round hole (also filled) in the fender where the pickup spare tire mount tube would have gone through the fender to the frame which involves about a 2" tubular mounting. If this was a car fender (MUCH more rare), you would see a bit smaller hole in the same general area, where a rod that supports the spare tire would go through from a frame bracket and up to a chromed bracket that went through hole in the body just above the small two inch side trim piece on the cowl. This upper bracket would have attached to a strengthening member inside behind the dash. You will see the holes for this bracket there as they are on all cars but you may also then see repairs to the outer cowl area where THAT hole would have to have been filled also.

I would think it to be strange that a "4Dr Sedan" would have sidemounted spares along with the rear mount spare. I do believe there was an option to have a mounting setup for two spares on the back if desired, so why take on the extra expense of adding one sidemount? That idea does not make good sense for a "4Dr Sedan".

If this is a truck fender you will also not see the added bracket underneath for the bottom of the long thin rod used on the cars. I'm still thinking this probably is a pickup truck fender used to repair a damaged RF car fender.

If you only have access to the original "Engine Number" from the car and not the "Serial Number", that is on a tag on the "A" pillar between the two right front door hinges, then you will be out of luck for getting any info from the "Chrysler Historical Collection". They can (and will) only search for Build Records using the "Serial Number" and not an "Engine Number". But if you find the car's "Serial Number" listed on titling paperwork or any other documents that came with the car you may have a good chance of getting a copy of the "Build Record Card". That will then tell you if the car had any sidemounts, what the original color was, where it was first delivered, the date of manufacture and a bunch of other interesting stuff. It is worth trying to find the "Serial Number" if you can!

Attached is a photo set of a '35 Dodge 4Dr Touring Sedan with sidemounts. You can see how the long bar was used to stablize the spare and where the holes would be.

post-67404-143142329065_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest DodgeKCL

Just my 2 cents. Factory installed fender spares were usually put on the passenger side so the owner only had to re and re the spare while standing on the relative safety of the shoulder of the road. Actually changing the flat was something else again. The serial number should be stamped on the frame near the rear of the front left spring on most Dodges and Chrysler products in general. This is the number Chrysler Historical wants,and $45, to send you a copy of the car's original build sheet from day one.

It is VERY rare for a mid 1930s car to have the spare on one side only. For MoPar trucks it was common practice, but on passenger cars, usually both front fenders had a spare in it if ordered with fender spares.

For a '35 build card they use the serial number located on the right "A" pillar and I believe it costs only $25.00. I just got mine a month and a half ago and it was only $25.00.
Both of my 1931 DH6 build cards cost $45.00 each.

I've seen the claim that the cost depends on if they can decode things like the paint and trim numbers. But even though they could not decode that for my car they charged the full $45.

John, my very first car was a 1936 Dodge coupe and it had only one side mount spare and it was on the pass side. My 1936 rs cp now has a set of sidemounts, left and right and no rear mount spare. If a car originally had the sidemount option, there will be a mounting bracket inside the body and attached to the front door pillar. It is hard to explain, but if the car did not come from the factory with sidemounts, it most likely will not have this bracket inside the body. I am not at home now (visiting in california) but will try to get a few pics of the bracket (when I get home), both installed and out of the car, if there is any interest in seeing them. I have my cp completely apart and have been thinking of laying out the entire setup for twin sidemounts and photograph the whole setup.

It is VERY rare for a mid 1930s car to have the spare on one side only. For MoPar trucks it was common practice, but on passenger cars, usually both front fenders had a spare in it if ordered with fender spares.

Thanks for the reply keiser 31. Your knowledge and insight is priceless. I managed to remove the connection between the rear taillight and license plate bracket and low and behold, the ORIGINAL PAINT was still in between the two joining parts! Looks like some sort of army green or something. I will post photos of the underside of the fender soon. Look at the photo I found on ebay.....

post-78154-14314233687_thumb.jpg

I received my build card info on 10/20/2013 along with several sheets of additional info. I had originally requested cards on 2 different '36 Dodge cars and sent a $50.00 check to cover the fees listed on the website ('30-'42 cars--$25.00). I received only 1 card and a letter informing me that no info could be found on the other car and that the other $25.00 was being returned ,which it was, in the form of 5 five dollar bills cash. That I thought a bit odd! I just checked the website and the fees are still listed there.

To have a right hand spare mount doesn't seem so odd as door locks were only on right side doors to keep people from stepping into traffic so I would assume that safety may have also been a consideration along with improved visibilty on the drivers side as those spares ride high. Only an observation. In '36 the fender well option was available for either right or left side at a cost of $6.75. The dual well option came with an extra wheel, both welled fenders, second metal cover, second spare tire, tube and lock all for $40.00. Still a pricy option in '36 for most folks. I assume the extra hubcap was at extra cost as it's not mentioned in the option listing. Incidently, a set of all chrome wheels was available ; 5 wheels for $30.00 extra and 6 wheels for $36.00 extra. Hub caps were listed at $2.30. Prices did not include taxes or dealer installation charges.

Edited by jpage
more info (see edit history)

They sent you back $5 cash because they actually charge $45 and that is the amount you were due back for info provided for one car.

The web page you are looking at may be a link that is historically archived. Hit the "refresh" or "reload" icon on your address line and see if the page either disappears or comes back with new text and new amount of charges.

• 3 years later...
On 1/6/2014 at 7:14 AM, jpage said:

I received my build card info on 10/20/2013 along with several sheets of additional info. I had originally requested cards on 2 different '36 Dodge cars and sent a $50.00 check to cover the fees listed on the website ('30-'42 cars--$25.00). I received only 1 card and a letter informing me that no info could be found on the other car and that the other $25.00 was being returned ,which it was, in the form of 5 five dollar bills cash. That I thought a bit odd! I just checked the website and the fees are still listed there.

To have a right hand spare mount doesn't seem so odd as door locks were only on right side doors to keep people from stepping into traffic so I would assume that safety may have also been a consideration along with improved visibilty on the drivers side as those spares ride high. Only an observation. In '36 the fender well option was available for either right or left side at a cost of $6.75. The dual well option came with an extra wheel, both welled fenders, second metal cover, second spare tire, tube and lock all for $40.00. Still a pricy option in '36 for most folks. I assume the extra hubcap was at extra cost as it's not mentioned in the option listing. Incidently, a set of all chrome wheels was available ; 5 wheels for $30.00 extra and 6 wheels for $36.00 extra. Hub caps were listed at $2.30. Prices did not include taxes or dealer installation charges.

Does anyone have a picture of the original side mount locks for the 1936 Dodge?  I am still looking for them to complete my side mount set up.  I would love to even have a good picture of the right ones so I know what I am looking for. Thanks

• 6 years later...
On 12/28/2013 at 7:49 AM, keiser31 said:

Sounds as if one of 3 things may have happened. Either the car was wrecked/rusted/damaged and one of the front sidemount fenders was replaced with a non-sidemount fender and the passenger side wheel well was filled in to match OR the car was wrecked/rusted/damaged and had to have a replacement fender and the only one they could find was a sidemount fender and they filled the passenger side in to match the driver's side fender OR someone replaced the fender on the passenger side with a truck fender which had the hole for the spare in it.

You forgot another option  sidemounts one or two were ordered as special equipment and factory had blanked out fenders in case of order, standard was spare on rear like a continental kit ,very few had the tire on fender option

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2017 at 10:19 PM, 35cz8 said:

Does anyone have a picture of the original side mount locks for the 1936 Dodge?  I am still looking for them to complete my side mount set up.  I would love to even have a good picture of the right ones so I know what I am looking for. Thanks

1936 Mopar side mount lock

A6680080-FB7E-4533-B237-2770DF48B78E.png

C9E3F517-A07F-4F0F-9659-02DC6E0FBC4E.png

2545A4A1-EBB0-45C5-80BA-807346D2B9CA.png