Gemmer Steering box application .

RonB

i bought this steering box and column etc for a project (at a place I no longer work at) and I cant seem to find what it comes from originally .The wheel was originally all wood which cold mean it may have been a 1925 Packard unit,but the center is different ,mainly that the wheels center was held on with four bolts with acorn nuts.Any assistance with identifying this is most welcome :)

post-94846-14314232814_thumb.jpg

I dont think so,although the advance and throttle controls are the same,Stewart Warner branded:) .The Steering box itself is marked '19050' and the spline is 1.330 " at the large end. That would be a bit large for a car like a Whippet i would have thought.:D

I think I finally have it nailed down...it's a 1924 Chrysler steering unit. I see the same parts on some pictures of this particular year (the 1st) but as I have no access to a parts list I cannot be too sure . It has some interesting little touches such as the alloy sealing plate on the lower part of the column housing and the steering lock . Now...I want to find a pitman arm for it,condition not so important. :)

Archived