Bugatti Royale "Replica"

TexRiv_63

Think it's an interesting car, and the proportions are very close to being correct. Never be eligible for AACA events of course but it would be a fun ride! Asking price is semi-silly, but hey, one can ask what one wants for one's possession, can't one?

I just looked up photos of the real thing and it's actually closer in proportion than I originally thought. I agree that the back end is the worst part, but I think the wheels are a neat update of the fabulous alloys on the original. I looked at the builders website which has a lot of build photos, the body was done with carbon fiber, not sure about the other panels. I'd bet the offers have at least three less zeros...

www.edsrodsandrecks.com

post-51036-143142326484_thumb.jpg

post-51036-143142326491_thumb.jpg

I would think it could be worth as much as $30 to $40 thousand given all of the work that seems to have gone into it and considering they did not have to recreate the steel body and instead used much more affordable composite materials. The starting bid price of $1.2 million is just plain delusional. While I would love an original, I am not sure I would want this reproduction as the shortcuts and 'updates' to the design make me feel I would look like a pimp or drug dealer driving down the road in it.

Isn't composite just another played up name for fiberglass?

It shouldn't be... it specifically says carbon fiber in the build pics. If done properly, it should be stronger and lighter than fiberglas. I hope his build is better than his photography. I would also suggest deducting a frame paint from your $1.2M bid.

What's the deal with a 60/40 rear seat?

Why did they spend a lot of time and money only to make the rear end look like they shopped for parts at AutoZone or Wal-Mart?

The Red chassis?? HUH?

The wheels are far too wide for the car. (proportions, proportions proportions!!!)

I appreciate the work involved, but the amateur styled rear is just hideous and over-priced by $1.15+ million.

Correct, but in my opinion this is a cheap way to create body parts since one can mold them to whatever shape you like and not have to have the artistic ability of the old time coach makers who could take a sheet of steel and hand roll and hammer it into shape. That skill is pretty much gone these days except for a few exceptional folks. Carbon fiber, fiberglass, etc. has some skill required to make, but compared to hand hammering/rolling steel sheets it is not comparable in my opinion and once you have some molds you can churn out as many parts as you relatively quickly.

I don't know about easy, but I doubt working in carbon fiber is cheap. This is a pretty exotic material that is use to build formula 1 cars and fighter jets. Its about one of the strongest, lightest materials around. Asking price aside, I respect the guy for pushing the envelope. This is a hot rod after all.

post-71232-143142329704_thumb.jpg

Correct, but in my opinion this is a cheap way to create body parts since one can mold them to whatever shape you like and not have to have the artistic ability of the old time coach makers who could take a sheet of steel and hand roll and hammer it into shape. That skill is pretty much gone these days except for a few exceptional folks. Carbon fiber, fiberglass, etc. has some skill required to make, but compared to hand hammering/rolling steel sheets it is not comparable in my opinion and once you have some molds you can churn out as many parts as you relatively quickly.

post-71232-143142329702_thumb.jpg

Here is an old video of one of these running after sitting in a barn for many years:

This would be fun to watch, however my computer will not load the required flash player. Every time I try to do it I get a new home page. GRRR.

This one even has my puter guru confused.

I won't pretend to know more than your computer guru, but that's an issue if you download off the "free" sites on the net instead of going to something like Microsoft.com if you are using Windows. The free downloads have tacked on phishing programs or games (I bet you have WildTangent on your programs list now too, even if you never played it) that they will try to sell you. Flashplayer should come up as an optional download when you run your program updates unless you are running a program that is older and no longer being supported.

Two jimmy V-6s bolted together. They didn't make very many of those. (but they did make em)

Um, not exactly. The 702 was obviously twice the 351 V6, but the V12 used a dedicated block, crank, cam, and distributor. The V12 DID use four V6 heads and exhaust manifolds and two V6 intakes and carbs, so it looked like simply two V6s bolted together. The other internal parts (pistons, rods, valve train) were common with the 351.

I don't mind the profile but the grille treatment is awful, the mesh should be thicker to hide all the sausage making going on behind it. I don't hate the wheels, I get that they may be more practical for today's use, more contact patch to brake such a heavy vehicle, but I would like to see them brushed in the center to more closely match the original. The fenders bother me because they are just too flat up front, the subtle elegance of those sculpted lines are what really set the cars of the era apart as this one should now. The leather seats have a mottled finish that just looks "man made" to me, there are so many other options, especially at this price point. Add in the earlier comment about the split rear and you can begin to see that many bits were simply reused from other cars not fabricated whole. As we hear often, if they skimped here then where else? My guess is the guy hears what real Bugatti's sell for, new and classic, and thought he might get some wealthy Saudi or Emirati to bite. This is a $40,000 car to me, and maybe up to $120,000 for the right buyer who just wants a wild looking toy, but the rest of the money is better spent on any number of dozens of better cars.

I have to jump in here to clarify some points. It's my car. the built took over 2 years and 7000hrs. to complete. body is done with carbon fiber over shaped foam and carbon fiber on the inside making it 10 times stronger than regular carbon fiber. the hood and grill shell are hand formed out of 16guage cold rolled steel on an English wheel and hand hammered. everything that you see with the exception of the wheels was built for this car. at 80 mph on the interstate and the brakes are applied you can see the tail lights a mile away. carbon fiber is very tempramental and difficult to use requiring a set layup process. cost is 65.00 per yd. we used 300+yds. engine is a thunderv12. I am the builder its not a joke I have 15 national awards and at 100+ mph it floats down the highway. SEEK FIRST TO UNDERSTAND thanks edm

Thanks for the additional information EDM. However, I and I think everyone else, are giving our opinions which is what this forum is all about. I am saying that it is a nice looking interpretation of the original but that I prefer the original. Is there a reason why you did not go with making this a true reproduction following all of the design nuances and using the steel body parts of an original? It sounds like you spent a great deal of money going with modern carbon fiber instead. I am also mentioning that the amount of money that goes into something does not necessarily result in the end product reflecting that amount of resources. Restored classic cars are a good example where a collector will often put double, triple, or more of the open market commercial value into their car. Another aspect of this is a reproduction, or an interpretation will also not have the value of an original since it will have none of the historical value an original has.

Is there a reason why you did not go with making this a true reproduction following all of the design nuances and using the steel body parts of an original?
I don't think there are an awful lot of Royales, laying around, that you could rob original steel parts off of to build a custom

I have to jump in here to clarify some points. It's my car. the built took over 2 years and 7000hrs. to complete. body is done with carbon fiber over shaped foam and carbon fiber on the inside making it 10 times stronger than regular carbon fiber. the hood and grill shell are hand formed out of 16guage cold rolled steel on an English wheel and hand hammered. everything that you see with the exception of the wheels was built for this car. at 80 mph on the interstate and the brakes are applied you can see the tail lights a mile away. carbon fiber is very tempramental and difficult to use requiring a set layup process. cost is 65.00 per yd. we used 300+yds. engine is a thunderv12. I am the builder its not a joke I have 15 national awards and at 100+ mph it floats down the highway. SEEK FIRST TO UNDERSTAND thanks edm

EDM, thanks for stopping in to comment on this thread. While opinions vary on the topic it's always welcome to have both views of a story or project. I'm sure none of us doubt your creativity, just citing opinions from the strict "factory build" crowd that is drawn to this forum. Stick around, I'm sure your metal fabricating and CF experience will come in handy to others seeking advice on their own projects and clearly you are a gear head just like the rest of us.