1947 WH-47 Inquiry

multiscepter

Hello All,

I often lurk on the auto side of the house but a 1947 WH-47 has become available nearby and I would appreciate any thoughts this group may have on that particular truck. The truck has a four speed transmission, 2 speed auxiliary, and a 2 speed rear. Is this particular gearing system rugged or plagued with problems? I'm not certain if it is a 1.5 or a 2 ton. Is there a way to tell? Are parts readily available? Are there particular parts that are extremely difficult to come by? Is there anything in general to be weary of? Thank you very much. Have a Merry Christmas.

Multiscepter

P.s. I took photos but none were very good, incorrect setting I believe.

• 2 weeks later...

Would anyone happen to recognize the engine id prefix of TII3? As mentioned the truck is a 1947 Dodge Truck, model WH-47. Per the database on the "yahoo" site the engine id prefix should begin with T120. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the stamped number as the engine number, forward left portion of engine. Thank you.

Johnpost-72128-143142336382_thumb.jpg

Guest Richie09

Hi, I am only familiar with 1/2 ton so cannot comment of the gearing. That data base "Yahoo: Dodge Truck factory serial numbers" (America made) '41 through '47 shows all WH- are 2 ton, WF- is 1 1/2 ton.

T120 would be correct, but Canadian Dodge/Fargo for those years; 2 ton does show T113 (218.06 cu. in.).

If I were to consider this as a project (gearing) I would remove the power takeoff plate, or however possible to look inside to look at gears and a flexable magnet to get down inside see what you could pick up.

The people at Vintage Power Wagons may very well can comment on the gearing. Richie

Richie09,

Thank you. After thinking it was a 3, then an 8, and now maybe back to a 3 I'll put the question to rest when I get the truck home and spend a bit more time looking at it. My first order of business is getting it home, then clean the Rat dropping, then focus on function.

John

• 3 weeks later...

I recently purchased the Dodge Truck parts List and looked up information based on the serial number. It appears that this is a 1946, not a 1947 as listed on the title/registration. Is there a reasonable explanation for this? Perhaps the truck was built in '46 but not titled until '47, this is a stretch on my part. How receptive are DMV offices to correcting the year?

"Perhaps the truck was built in '46 but not titled until '47, this is a stretch on my part. How receptive are DMV offices to correcting the year?"

It happened quite frequently. The dealer would order a machine for inventory or whatever reason, wouldn't sell it until following calendar year, then go down and register the title (and by extension, the build date) at that time. I have a car that way now.

In our quiet little corner of Ohio, if you have your paperwork and documentation together, go in acting sort of sheepish, they'll usually understand and change the title. The truck has survived all these years; were it me and unless I had a compelling reason otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

BillP,

I'm leaning toward not bothering, nonetheless I'll go in with as much paperwork as possible. It will probably be a last minute decision based on who I draw at the DMV and how responsive they are to casual but on topic conversation. Once I get the truck in the backyard I'll begin a new post with the subject line reflecting the line of questions but would you or anyone else know why for a series of trucks no engine numbers were specified? I'm referring to the "'41-'47 Dodge Truck Parts List W series" under serial numbers and specifications. There are sections where no starting engine numbers are called out yet on others there is a list. Thanks.

Multiscepter

I went back and read your orig post. That's a very interesting truck. All those gears would be fun to get working properly. I would suspect that the overall assembly is robust and well-engineered and there's nothing in particular to be afraid of. I'm away for a couple weeks and don't have access to any books. It may be that the data gap is based on incomplete records availability from the factory.

Most any part you need is available from several vendors. That would be a fun project.

Dave,

I've watched the video. It helped cement my decision to get the truck. Here is another general question. The previous owner mentioned that it was a 4-speed, 2-speed aux, 2-speed rear. With the emergency brake this makes for four sticks in the cab, which is the case. The one stick that has me stumped is that between the driver's legs. Every picture I've seen calls this out as a power take off. Would this also be the location of the 2-speed rear lever? I won't be hauling the truck home until Friday otherwise I would just crawl underneath and take a good look.

C49er,

The previous owner did mention it was a brownie, no clue as to the rear end. Once I get the truck here I'll have to grab a bottle of water/chlorine and give the rat crap a good soaking, followed by cleaning, then buy several bars of soap to use as repellant. Then I'll drop below to take a close look.

I didn't see all your pics. I do see the brownie trans and the mechanical rod shifted rear end! You will have fun driving and shifting that truck! You better find an old (90 or older) log truck driver to start teaching you how to shift just in case you miss a shift on a long up hill run!

Plenty of levers to play with while driving. Worse than texting while driving...HA HA HA:D.

I didn't see all your pics. I do see the brownie trans and the mechanical rod shifted rear end! You will have fun driving and shifting that truck! You better find an old (90 or older) log truck driver to start teaching you how to shift just in case you miss a shift on a long up hill run!

Plenty of levers to play with while driving. Worse than texting while driving...HA HA HA:D.[/quote

C49er

That is my truck that I posted pictures. Its a 39. I have it up for sale.

Today I finally made the trip home with the WH-47, my back killing me but I'm happy. A coworker of mine and I came prepared with come-alongs, binders, chains, etc.. but the previous owner helped us save time by using his truck to pull the WH-47 onto the trailer (photo with truck on trailer). Our first stop was the DMV, small town offices are the best. While there an couple yelled to me from their car about a spare tire they have for the taking, I'll get that later. We then headed home, unloaded (photo with truck in backyard), then loaded another project of mine, '37 Dodge Sedan, and headed back to the DMV. The fun will continue tomorrow, after another photo shoot my first project will be to spray down all the rat dropping with a water/chlorine mixture followed by removal. I'll then head to the store to buy soap to break up and scatter inside the cab and on top of the engine. Why Soap? Many years ago my son and I were hiking and came across an old cabin, very clean i.e. no sign of mice or rats, we attributed this to the soap that was place along the baseboards, so this is what I'll be doing with the truck and the sedan.

post-72128-143142373112_thumb.jpg

post-72128-143142373095_thumb.jpg