new on here and need help

Guest cathy64

Guest cathy64

my son is thinking of trading his 1989 camaro iroc z28 project car for a 1989 buick reatta that needs work nothing too big but the touchscreen is not working right and i was wondering if there is a way the heater controls can work with the touch screen messed up until if and when he can afford to fix it. and is this a good trade. thank you for looking and time on this matter

Guest my3buicks

post-30591-14314232665_thumb.jpg

20+ year old touch screen controls or even electronic dash displays make me think long and hard about buying any car that has one. I have passed on several otherwise excellent newer collectible cars because of them. They can be rebuilt, but.

The touch screen unit can be rebuilt if needed for around $200, the rebuild takes care of original design flaws and gives you a very reliable unit. Z's are a dime a dozen, my son has one. Once sorted out the Reatta makes a fantastic road car, ultra comfortable, nice handlng, adequate performance, and they do turn heads. You didn't mention how old your son is, remember the Reatta was designed with the empty nest crowd with some disposable income, the Z was designed for the young. That said, a lot of young Reatta owners have done some impressive modifications and builds on their cars, not my thing, but some fantastic results. There is a very active Reatta group, tons of online support in a couple different places including the Reatta forum on this site. Parts are out there, there are several major Reatta parts suppliers that so far have had anything and anything I have needed. Owning a Reatta is not cheap. They were very expensive cars when new, $25K in 88 for a base coupe, up to around $38K for a 91 convertible and with most costlier cars, cost of ownership tends to be high. But to own one and drive one is to really fall for the cars. My son wouldn't even consider a Reatta but my Reatta turns more heads than his Z.

post-30591-14314232663_thumb.jpg

post-30591-143142326654_thumb.jpg

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)