around 1930 heavier higher horse power coupe or roadster

Hello, I am looking for a mostly original or mildly restored car for a driver. I don,t mind mechanic work but please no rust.

My hope is for a mostly original unrestored car and not a car that was ever brought back from a pile of parts.

I can,t afford the rare classics like the packards and there are a little over kill to drive around a small town.

I hope to find something like the big sixes or an 8 . Hudson super, Nash advanced, Buick master or the like.

An older restoration that has passed it,s show prime would be fine to as I plan to drive this car a lot because I live in a very small town.

I can be reached at 928 241 1490

Thanks for your time

Joe Hardin

Jon37, Thanks for the heads up and I saw that car. It looks to be an old restoration to me also. IT looks to be in a lacquer paint job from the looks of the cowl vent and the interior is quite worn, stained and faded. It went to 15,700 on ebay and they did not sell. I thought that was getting to be fair money for the car but I don,t know these cars as I have always been into late sixties muscle cars. would it be ok on the site for you to give me your thoughts on value. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

As you may already know, the standard "Mom and Pop" late 1920's cars don't sell for what they used to, because most of the potential customers (who remember them from their youth) are now elderly. (I consider 1930 to be more like a 1920's car than a '30's one.) There are still younger folks who are attracted to them but overall, the demand is way down from 20, 30 years ago. Thus, you should take your time, check actual selling prices, and play the field for awhile. Check Ebay, H.A.M.B., Craigslist, and do a search here at the AACA forum for cars that might have been posted for sale months ago. Thus you will immediately know a bargain when it presents itself.

Also, do some research and develop a list of the top cars and years most desirable to you. Consider styling, the marque's reputation for durability and the present-day availability of parts. (You don't want to discover, for instance, that your "new" car needs valves but they are simply no longer available at any price!) The existence of a decent club for a specific marque, is also a big plus. Especially if a good percentage of the club's members are technically knowledgeable about the older cars (instead of the later 1960's muscle car versions). Weeding out the cars you DON'T want will narrow your field so your search is easier.

I'm in the Hudson club (so I'm not unbiased on this subject) and it serves as a good support group when it comes to technical advice and acquiring parts for cars of this period. The 1929 Hudsons (for example) were well built and durable, and lots of them used to be driven to our Hudson meets from distant locales (one guy used to arrive from Canada in his '29....towing a house trailer!). Those guys have, sadly, left us now so very few of the earlier Hudsons are driven to meets nowadays. But the 1929's are still solid and durable. And since these cars were originally produced in relatively large numbers, the parts can still be found (if you're resourceful!). Some are even being reproduced.

Many other "big" cars of that era would also still be very drivable today, and have good club support. Buick, Olds, Studebaker, Hupmobile, Graham, Nash, REO, and so forth. And because they're of an era that's less in demand, you should be able to purchase them for a very reasonable price nowadays. Since you want a coupe or roadster, get used to the fact that you'll pay more than if you'd been willing to settle for a coach or four-door sedan. This older resto '29 Hudson coupe -- http://carsonline-ads.com/colsite/col?use=UC3_ViewPosting&cmd=showPosting&postingID=66337 -- just sold for $22 grand. In a four door version it might have gone for half that figure. But it's all relative: even a higher-priced roadster in a Nash, Buick or Hudson is going to cost less than it would in a Packard, Cadillac or Lincoln.

So, shop around, collect information, take your time, "study up", save up your money, and be ready to pounce when the right car comes along. Best of luck!

Edited by Jon37 (see edit history)

Jon37, Thans for taking your time to help keep me out of trouble and i really appreciate your thoughts. I find it a shame that these great and luxurious cars have fallen out of grace with the collector but I guess i can benefit as in getting more car for the money. I called on the Hudson and they wanted 32 and I don,t think it is near as nice as the cars on line car that sold for 22. I am fascinated by that f head valve arrangement and the power it made.

I am looking at a 1928 Buick master six 128" WB Country Club Coupe that is in nice shape and sits on its very nice original unrestored drive train and chassis. The body is an older restoration that is nice but never was concourse. It is almost to nice as i plan to drive whatever i buy a lot. It is on ebay at this time. Buick looks like it has a great following and I looked to see and there are a lot of parts available likes Bob,s automobilia. That engine is very nice to look at and I love the idea of overhead valves in 1928. I think this car can be owned in the upper teens. The guy that has it is supper nice and is very knowledgeable. He has it running great.

Thanks again for your time

Joe

Joe- I own a 31 Hupp L sedan but still the 90 HP eight is the same. I just had the engine rebuilt last spring and I love the car now! It is not too big (118" WB), solid on the road and plenty of power now. You will not go wrong on a Buick of this era either. My brother on law drives a 31 50 series sedan and it too is big enough, powered enough and a lot of fun to tour. There are many cars of this time that are similar to these experiences. Hupp was competitive to Buick as an upper middle price car and marketed themselves as very reliable, enough for the women drivers to be safe in. Get what you want, join a club for the marque and drive the wheels off of it! Personally I like the styling of this era a lot so many cars are desirable but I can't have 'em all.... (my wife said so!)

Avantey, I realt took a long look at the L series coupe on ebay and I just could not get a feel for that car. It looks to me like they took a quick shot of a super gloss base coat clear coat black and did the wheels. I would really have to see this car in person and crawl all over it before I could buy it.

The Buick I was working on sold and congrats to Clay the owner. I think he is off to his next project.

I had a message this mourning from an AACA member in NJ and he has a 1929 Hupp A with all the fancies on it. It has six wire wheels, rumble seat and is in supper nice condition. Brakes have just all been done and he sent picts of his work and it is outstanding. Price is very fair and I am going to buy it as it is a lot nicer car than i had planned on owning.

My next faze is to get it from NJ to Az and it has been a long time since i have shipped a car across country.

Any suggestions on the best and most reasonable priced way to do this would be great because I am out of this loop.

This car most definitely needs to be in a closed carrier.

Avantey your wife said you cant have em all and my wife said if I can have this one we can have some new flooring in the family room and the kitchen.

OH well sounds like a hell of a compromise to me. Guess I better get my Knee pads out.

Take care

Joe