My 65, another build to follow

RockinRiviDad

Looking good RockinRivDad. these projects always seem to take longer than expected, at least for me.

I have a near complete 64 parts car if you need any additional odds and ends. also have extra trim and wire harness's from another.

are you going to do a two tone or graphics on your Riv? or just one solid color? been trying to figure that out for my 64.

4 hours ago, coOverwatch said:

are you going to do a two tone or graphics on your Riv? or just one solid color? been trying to figure that out for my 64.

Thx guys

The one good thing about my car is that I basically started with a complete car. But thx for offering parts. I will let u know if I need anything. This is the right place to sell your parts. U should've have any problems with that

The Chip Foose two tone paint jobs look cool. I've seen plenty of Rivi's with that style paint & they look amazing with the right color combo's. But my Riv will receive a solid color on the whole body. Trying to keep it simple & tasty haha

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

David, I too had a weak burn out till I read up on my he fabulous ST400VP transmission that our 65 came with, get a toggle switch cut into the top wire that goes from the trans detent , pull the plug on it and you will see two blades like this  _'_  the top blade is the +  Kick Down  passing gear for the trans , cut into that wire  run it to your dash and hook up the other side to a 12 v source, these trans were the best ever made 400 with a  high stall low stall dual converter. It's like an extra gear , in a dead stop once you flip that toggle it flips the angle of the stator blades in the converter multiplying the fluid and torque. Believe me on the next burn out you could sit there and burn off the tire if you want. 

@ Snake: Thanks for the advice Greg. I actually spent this past week reading up on this fabulous ST400. My car already has the toggle switch installed under the dash. Both wires from the toggle switch were coiled up under dash. ?? Weird. Did I do that? I couldn't remember were these wires were suppose to be connected to. Now I know, thanks for the info. Now I question if I ever actually used the VP back when I was driving this car. It's only been 20+ years ago :) .

I have only clocked 85 miles on this rebuilt engine. It sounds like I should probably wait until I reach the suggested 500 mile "engine break-in" range before I reconnect this VP toggle switch. Otherwise, I know myself, I may be doing the one wheel squeal all over town & end up with a broken engine...again :( . 

• 3 weeks later...
On September 6, 2016 at 1:12 AM, fatbuick said:

I've had time to look through your restoration. What a great job. Look forward to seeing more progress and realise now you already have disc brakes.

Thank u & likewise. Your car looks amazing. 

I do have disc brakes in the front now. But totally like how Jeff (JRRivi64) did the rear disc conversion too. I may end up with that set up too

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dialtone

Holy shnikees. I believe the last time I logged onto the forum your Rivi was on the rotisserie. ( yes i know it's been a long time since I logged in)

David keep on pushing forward, you might be a jerk, but not a quitter :P  joking

On October 7, 2016 at 8:17 PM, Dialtone said:

Holy shnikees. I believe the last time I logged onto the forum your Rivi was on the rotisserie. ( yes i know it's been a long time since I logged in)

David keep on pushing forward, you might be a jerk, but not a quitter :P  joking

Hey! What's up SoCal brother? I skimmed thru this thread to find that it's been 14 months since u checked in. Welcome back. 

If I knew what I was doing I may have had this damn project finished by now. All I can pray for is that I get this car done WELL before u decide to check in again in another 14 months :) 

• 1 year later...

UGH...I don’t know where to start...how about with an apology for dragging u guys along thru the longest build thread of the century...sorry :wacko:

Happy New Year gentlemen. Time sure flies by way too fast. Looks like its been over a year since I posted any progress :wacko:

I will be fixing this build thread. I like pix. PhotoSuckit ruined a ton of threads. Lots of work ahead of me there too :wacko:

Bad news:

Back in August 2016 (post #238) I reported that I found what seemed to be a reputable bodyshop. Unfortunately, that didn’t work out. After 10 months of countless excuses from the shop owner I decided to give up hope on ever getting my car done by this shop. So I typed up my experience on Yelp. Yelp is a powerful tool haha. My review must’ve struck a nerve haha...truth hurts haha...the shop owner was so pissed that he couldn’t  even call me about the review...he called my boss to cry to him about it claiming he wanted to file a formal complaint haha...

In the end, no money exchanged hands, no bodywork was ever done, no formal complaint, my car was never touched, time, money for a replacement hood/truck & tons of frustration was the outcome. 

This whole bodyshop experience lite a fire under my butt...Tons of work to report...Some steps went forward & some went backwards. BUT I have NOT quit

Good news:

In previous pix u can see I have been rockin the Cheech & Chong color scheme for quite some time now. It was fun...the fun lasted for 10 minutes!! haha. Then I wanted it one color soooo bad. Since good shops are hard to find, I opted to do something about it myself. I bought a cool new tool to help me strip my rusty hood & trunk down to bare metal. No its not a DA as most people use. I wanted something better & faster. I was able to find monster wheels for it on Amazon which was cool too. The wheels it comes with are kinda small & super expensive. 

The underside of the hood with all the bracing was hard to clean. I borrowed my buddy’s HF media blaster & went to town. The blaster had technical issues (combined with user error haha) & did not work very well. I got the job done tho.

Bad news:

Once the hood was striped, I hired a local jobber to spray it for me with the same lite grey epoxy primer I had on the doors & fenders. He convinced me to let him do the minor bodywork on the hood. It seemed easy enough. Well, in my inexperience of the bodywork steps, the sandable primer that he applied over the epoxy was a much lighter grey. So the goal to get my entire car ONE color was not looking good...again

3C163C63-FB2D-435B-86C7-58A7C96001B4.jpeg

5AB5F037-FD5A-41FE-9604-90E8FD28932E.jpeg

1E069AD9-9448-4866-8321-1E2B8DCB967C.jpeg

4012E8F4-FBCD-4FA7-8ACF-8D140260B40A.jpeg

Edited by RockinRiviDad (see edit history)

I forgot to mention I also bought the same type of wheel for my 4.5” angle grinder for the hard to reach areas. It also helped on some of the stubborn areas. But, as u can figure, the angle grinder leaves the swirl look similar to the DA grinder would. The drum/barrel style tool I bought leaves a brushed finished look. I had multiple people tell me to rock the bare metal look on the entire car haha. I like the look...but NOT on a 60’s era car. I think the 50’s era cars (& older) look cool in bare metal. NOT this car.

A62F0BDB-5FE5-45B4-B02A-C08E464E55F6.jpeg

BB846D45-959B-47D7-B6C7-16F6AD5A2489.jpeg

BA37188B-2749-456C-9A04-145173302A1C.jpeg

C52520DC-D3F0-4A81-AD53-8B9810050F61.jpeg

FEB9E2B2-D27E-413F-BF5C-890CE9BC64BB.jpeg

89BC55C1-B448-4A7F-AE3B-FDB487D6A83E.jpeg

EE5782E6-8FF0-4DED-B5AB-EDFBC8C244AF.jpeg

• Like 2

As u can all imagine, the motivational juices started flowing. I decided to clean/paint/install my clamshells (headlight visors). I did not install the headlamp motor yet. Come to think of it, I’ve had it boxed up in the shed & never even bench tested it. Hmmm...that might be a good idea huh haha.

I also got a hair in my butt & ordered some L.E.D. Headlamps from the super nice guys at Vintage Car L.E.D.s...kinda cool but not cheap...$189...they work great & the best part was they are “plug & play”

EFDC14C0-8AF5-4DD1-A64C-9368D1AE4E3F.jpeg

644FB4EC-6723-4F7D-B01F-D7ABF1D812A2.jpeg

9E0F8E62-8C2F-4EDA-B278-A9D84256F813.thumb.jpeg.299801ad7166b20eeb4186f234b118b2.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Hazdaz said:

I haven't looked through the entire thread, but I am liking the results so far and those rims sure look familiar!

Warning: If u haven’t had a good laugh in a while then feel free to read thru my thread haha. U will see all the bonehead moves I’ve made in this process. I will be fixing all the pix soon too. This is my first build...its taking waaaaaay tooooooo looooong haha. I shoulda built a Nova haha

thank u for the feedback tho. Yes, our wheels are VERY similar haha. U have a sweet looking ride. Someday, God willing, I will have a sweet ride too haha 

Stupid me, I never painted my rotors & calipers when I installed them. They started to rust :angry: so yea, I tore into that project & get looking nice with a little love...

Bad news:

As I got into this project I noticed more drama. I will have to pull receipts or look thru this thread to find out where I purchased my front end rebuild kit. This car only has 600 miles on it & if u zoom in to see the upper ball joints u will see that the rubber they use is JUNK. Its already frigin broken/cracked all the way thru the rubber...lower ball joints & upper control arm bushing same s#!+...:angry:...never a dull moment in this journey...

8F9A68CE-D4B4-4394-91DE-A8BC85053422.jpeg

FE71DB08-362A-47CF-8D3A-8CECBFCA5939.jpeg

Bad news:

I called my machine shop/engine builder guy to ask why they used steel freeze plugs in my heads. He didn’t know why. He agreed that only brass plugs should’ve been used. Well I sprung a leak. Luckily I at home when it happened. Another tough lesson I learned was that I probably should’ve taken my engine to Russ Martin in NorCal for a rebuild... :(

U can see the cracks on my upper control arm bushings. Some cracks are almost all the way across :angry:

Good news:

I was able to remove & replace the plugs in my garage. It was a bit of a pain. But it coulda been worse right?

A5286EAC-F9E3-4FD9-9B9A-E778F27FCE60.jpeg

E240CBEE-241C-4FD4-A616-FE3DF90D3A4E.jpeg

In an effort to keep the juices flowing I went back to one of the first body shops that originally turned me away. They originally said my car was too much work. My new plea to them was that if I brought them the light grey epoxy that I used on front of the car & if I striped the rest of the black lacquer paint off would they help me get it all one color. They agreed. Off to work I went...

I masked off my entire garage with plastic. I did the best to cover my nice Nailhead & went to town on striping. LOTS of work...LOTS of hours...LOTS of beer haha. Despite hanging plastic & covering my Nailhead my efforts only helped a little. My garage was DESTROYED haha

I quickly proved that my car IS a pile of caca haha & it WAS really a bondo cake on wheels. Driver quarter panel was the worst. My heart sank & I almost threw the towel in on this project after seeing this. What I discovered was horrible!!!

DISCLAIMER: the discovery of what was hidden under the bondo is of graphic nature haha...images not suited for persons under 18 years of age haha...ensure u are sitting to avoid any head trauma from possible fainting spells haha

9C130E02-9274-4E8E-A193-0AEBED7767C3.jpeg

13BFC28D-8241-4AE7-9097-421EF946733A.jpeg

C4A295D4-1C3A-46E2-8E37-E66420D5EF2F.jpeg

A83B6DC0-270C-472E-AF0A-798A8C05F002.jpeg

8CD91A03-ADF6-4459-A3E9-F304E46C8C2C.jpeg

C0C4F0C4-C924-42C6-8D36-4F0956C34663.jpeg

2B892363-9C63-457F-8260-321AA2A54E29.jpeg

7904398B-E317-4D8E-8BFD-58AF02C0C5BB.jpeg

02749AEF-F3EA-4AAB-9C55-30E7F485BBFD.jpeg

11AF4437-A727-433A-82F4-2C0679A10827.jpeg

0F67F514-0959-43A7-B5C7-75FD36299D45.jpeg

82ED61E6-B2BB-4D26-8FD7-77686D87EA94.jpeg

Here she is the day she was dropped off at said bodyshop. They quickly jumped on getting her ready for her light grey epoxy bath to match the fenders & doors. U can see the different colored grey on the hood. Like I mentioned earlier, that was the sandable primer (poly I think) that was used over the epoxy by the other bodyshop during the block sanding of only the hood.

5DF66FAF-EF69-49BB-AE47-64158651A445.jpeg

70477665-F5EC-4A45-8A1A-6C9086057750.jpeg

• Like 1

Bad news:

The light grey epoxy I bought from my local PPG paint store apparently is not the best. It was described to be a good product for the DIY guy like me. The bodyshop uses a professional grade product called PPG DP90. They offered to continue batheing her in my DIY crap or select to use the shop stuff... :( ...I opted for the better stuff under the agreement that this shop does the bodywork for me later on too. They agreed...on one condition...they wanted the old DIY epoxy primer OFF. UGH!! What a journey, right? I agreed. 

I was also given a choice of color. I chose the black option & boy am I glad I did haha. It looks frigin AWESOME dents/dings/cellulite quarter panel & all :D

35B72129-8242-49D4-9749-92136EB298DF.jpeg

E7118F04-92A1-497B-9E38-872BAB2BFB6B.jpeg

• Like 1

Good news:

The black epoxy really got the juices flowing.  So much so that I didn’t wanna skip a beat in my momentum. I asked the shop if they would spray the front half of my car in the next couple of days if I got it striped for them. I told the shop owner I would take the next day off of work just to get ‘er done! He was cool enough to allow me to leave the car there & come back the next morning with my tools to strip it there on his lot. That helped me from destroying my garage again haha...so off to work I went haha

Obviously, taking off the light grey primer was kind of a step backwards. After striping it down, I went back the next morning to take hood hinges, grill & bumper filler off. The boss said “you’ve come this far, u might as well take the fenders off”...yup...more steps backwards but in a good way. Ugh, what a journey haha

B8B813DA-A3DA-4AE3-928A-B1705918091B.jpeg

21C00993-3281-4F12-B040-85575F49F1B8.jpeg

460F3265-793C-47F3-8468-343B67537390.jpeg

• Like 1

I am very pleased with this shops work & the look of this PPG DP90 epoxy primer. Apparently, some dudes run this as their top coat for that satin look. Interweb says it doesn’t have the UV protection that most top coats offer. I dont plan on keeping it this color. But this look will definately work well until I do get the bodywork started. Plus I keep my car garaged so it should hold up for a bit.

0E3C9253-B175-43A4-B692-45BB3D797E48.jpeg

6D6DEDB2-B335-4C5C-8D65-5832B8931C6D.jpeg

991E9D39-B6F2-4780-8BBB-F6CEF9589229.jpeg

D048F20B-88EC-488E-B215-8CE1D2D8D280.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RockinRiviDad said:

In an effort to keep the juices flowing I went back to one of the first body shops that originally turned me away. They originally said my car was too much work. My new plea to them was that if I brought them the light grey epoxy that I used on front of the car & if I striped the rest of the black lacquer paint off would they help me get it all one color. They agreed. Off to work I went...

I masked off my entire garage with plastic. I did the best to cover my nice Nailhead & went to town on striping. LOTS of work...LOTS of hours...LOTS of beer haha. Despite hanging plastic & covering my Nailhead my efforts only helped a little. My garage was DESTROYED haha

I quickly proved that my car IS a pile of caca haha & it WAS really a bondo cake on wheels. Driver quarter panel was the worst. My heart sank & I almost threw the towel in on this project after seeing this. What I discovered was horrible!!!

DISCLAIMER: the discovery of what was hidden under the bondo is of graphic nature haha...images not suited for persons under 18 years of age haha...ensure u are sitting to avoid any head trauma from possible fainting spells haha

82ED61E6-B2BB-4D26-8FD7-77686D87EA94.jpeg

At least it looks like you are making progress, that's more than I am getting done.

Even though that quarter looks pretty bad ... it doesn't look rusted, damaged yes, but NOT rusty. I am more guessing than fact here but I believe a body man good with a hammer and dolly might be able to get that a bit more into shape, then weld up any holes, and all you would have would be a skim coat of filler to smooth it out? I'm sure not an easy task but doable I believe?

Again, liking your progress, looking good.

4 hours ago, Rivman said:

it doesn't look rusted, damaged yes, but NOT rusty.

a body man good with a hammer and dolly might be able to get that a bit more into shape, then weld up any holes, and all you would have would be a skim coat of filler to smooth it out? I'm sure not an easy task but doable I believe?

Again, liking your progress, looking good.

Thx for the feedback. 

I was so bummed when I uncovered the damage on that quarter panel that I thought I was gonna need a donor car. My plan was to drive my car off of the nearest cliff. On my way to that cliff my gut said ‘ask a pro at your local bodyshop for his opinion.’  There happened to be 3 shops on my way to that cliff. Luckily for me all 3 shops said what u described.

It’s gonna take a lot of hammer & dollying to get it close to right for sure. Then a fraction of the body filler that I took off will make up the difference. The bondo I took off must’ve been 3/4-1” thick.  

Edit: u are correct. NO RUST

If it were my car I would source another quarter panel for the left side. The rest of the body looks fine to do metal work on.

I,m sure you could find a nice quarter panel if you seriously look for one......they are out there.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

If it were my car I would source another quarter panel for the left side. The rest of the body looks fine to do metal work on.

I,m sure you could find a nice quarter panel if you seriously look for one......they are out there.  

In the SoCal area, you should contact Larry Daisey. Rancho Riviera

Rivparts.com 

Replacing quarters or even a rear portion of a quarter is a real project and "get right" on these cars. Very labor intensive which means expensive. I'd be inclined to repair what is there. One benefit is retaining the original integrity of car from the factory......and saving a lot of money. Trade off is using filler.

Probably won't be able to hammer all of it due to no clearance for hammer on inside but much of it yes. There are other ways to get it pulled and flattened within say an 1/8" or less. Not a problem for any competent shop. People get over concerned about filler. Todays modern fillers are as durable as the metal itself when used properly. Filler got a bad name over the years from people filling big rust holes and using it too thick as an alternative to spending several more hours to straighten metal and minimize thickness.

• Like 1

I used to do bodywork when I was a kid. Wanted to be the next Gene Winfield. Anyhow, that quarter is going to be work-hardened to hell. Planishing that is going to be blue murder. They went to town with that slide hammer, which is kinda weird considering how accessible it is from the back side. Leads me to believe it was some deep creases. Above the wheel arch is going to be holding a lot of tension, so if you cut off the whole quarter, things are going to move around. If it was me, I'd replace the flat area between the reveals and about 3" past the wheel arch. It's got a slight crown which will be tricky to fabricate, But if you get that from another quarter, you'd be miles ahead. Then I'd make the edges of the original quarter flat enough to meet the patch. Not a huge job, but fixing a hack repair like that can be tricky.

I'd seriously consider getting the car on a frame machine, and making sure it's square first. My ponycar has a salvage title, but no collision evidence. I had it put on a frame machine, and the thing was twisted lengthwise front to rear. The driver's side rear wheel and passenger side front wheel were 6MM lower than the other wheels. Once it was pulled straight, it was easier to align the frontend, and it drove better. Doors and trunk lid shut better too. A lot of crap can happen to a car in 50 years. Just a thought.

• Like 1

I do appreciate the great sound advise u guys always offer. U guys are a wealth of knowledge. Thank u.

At this point, in regards to my bodywork, I don’t know which direction I will be going in. This project has definately become a huge pain in the a$$. I see why dudes quit & their projects sit & rot away...this sucks...

I did reach out to a couple of my more local than Larry Daisey contacts to ask about a good quarter panel to use...just in case...it seems I will have a quarter panel to use if & when the bodywork begins. I really dont feel this car of mine is worthy of spending the umpteen amount of money its gonna take to cut out sections of the quarter to replace with donor car sections. I’m leaning towards Randall & Jason’s theory, fix what I have with hammer & dolly as best as I can & use a bit of filler. I just wanna drive this SOB not show it

Cutting out sections to replace with donor car sections is great if this car had the potential to be as nice as any of your cars. I know its tough to read this entire thread & its been so long. You guys probably forgot. Here is the recap: my car is NOT a prized Gran Sport, my car is NOT highly optioned, my car is NOT numbers matching, it DOESN’T have the original engine block, the engine block is NOT even from a Rivi, the body always sat krooked on the chassis & now I’m sure its from this damage. The frame machine is an awesome option that I will consider, thanks for that idea. All good ideas, thanks brothers. I’m just irritated...we will prevail...somehow some way

As for now, I like that my car is one solid color. It totally gets the juices flowing again. So I’ve been driving the snot out of it. My latest concerns are trying to get the damn thing to idle right. She runs like a champ. But at times when I first put it in gear (R or D) she starts to sputter badly & wants to die. Ive been asking my buddy’s for advise, including our old pal Chris Nolan (Alini), in getting it right. Ive been bouncing back & forth between timing, fuel/air mixture, idle adjustment... no luck. I even ditched the points & went to Pertronix...I’ve spent time looking for vacuum leaks...NO LUCK :angry:

In order to stay motivated, keep my sanity & continue to enjoy this journey, here is my solution...yes…I’m “that” guy ?

B2AE01BD-332B-41A6-93D1-D13BC00EA208.jpeg

F8D899BA-C099-49B7-AB04-21024D7A2D51.jpeg

• Like 1

Glad to see you back at it David. Sorry for your bodywork dilema; it's the most expensive part of any build. That's one reason mine's not painted.

I'm planning on going the EFI route also and was wondering how you decided on Holley. Just wondering as I've heard they are very good units but I really don't know how to judge one from another aside from price.

Steve

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, slosteve said:

Glad to see you back at it David. Sorry for your bodywork dilema; it's the most expensive part of any build. That's one reason mine's not painted.

I'm planning on going the EFI route also and was wondering how you decided on Holley. Just wondering as I've heard they are very good units but I really don't know how to judge one from another aside from price.

Steve

Hey Steve, 

glad to be back at it myself & glad to see your still here. It’s been a long journey. This forum changed a bunch & my pix are all jacked. My build thread needs lots of work to get it back to how I once had it. 

yea I’m bummed about my bodywork. The cost for minimal bodywork is crazy. Now imagine the cost for the amount of work mine will need. The thought makes me ?…

I’d rather get her running right (EFI) & maybe spend my money to be cool like u with airbags haha (I think u had bags right?)

As for the EFI, I’m in the same boat as u. I didn’t know much. I didn’t do much research on any other units other than the Holley & FiTech units. The FiTechs got a lot of bad reviews & its only $200 cheaper. I needed the electric fuel pump setup too. With the deals u can find on Holley’s ‘Master Kit’ (includes electric fuel pump) it’s comparable in price to the FiTech. 

Bottom line, I only pulled the trigger on the Holley kit due to the Holley reputation, good reviews & the cost. 

• Like 1

If I was in your position, I'd do the same. Get it running, drive the wheels off. Plenty of time to make it pretty later. It's got character.

My 64 has about 75% good paint, but it's a custom mixed color that will be impossible to replicate to patch up. I'm just going to go with it, and worry about making it pretty some point in the next 10 years.

On 2/10/2018 at 9:39 PM, jsgun said:

If I was in your position, I'd do the same. Get it running, drive the wheels off. Plenty of time to make it pretty later. It's got character.

My 64 has about 75% good paint, but it's a custom mixed color that will be impossible to replicate to patch up. I'm just going to go with it, and worry about making it pretty some point in the next 10 years.

I sure wish I woulda known 5 years ago what I know now...I woulda totally done the same “just go with it”...live & learn

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:27 PM, RockinRiviDad said:

This project has definately become a huge pain in the a$$. I see why dudes quit & their projects sit & rot away...this sucks...

Yes exactly - you are not alone. Many projects are started and stall out and often permanently.

Its not just the money, its the frustration and delays caused by many unexpected road blocks. Years can pass with no enjoyment from driving the car and life is short. Most of us have other commitments besides car hobby. When I did the articles on the 66 GS resto in the Riview, this is specifically why I was honest about costs and challenges so that it might provide insight for others thinking about it.

Even folks with enough disposable income who can afford to pay a shop to do all the work can have equal frustration due to incompetency of the chosen shop. No easy path when restoring a Riv.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the words of wisdom, Jason. Unlike me, U definitely have the experience from building multiple cars (maybe I can borrow your wallet haha). Thanks for the input. 

I am not a quitter. I will keep plugging away. I may only be taking baby steps but that sure beats quitting in my book

Having fun with this is a great way to keep motivated. I shoulda placed this video in my thread prior to my showing u guys my bare metal & then epoxy primer process.  Oh well...hope u guys enjoy me rolling into the sunset Cheech & Chong style with my poor mans drone haha...I got tired of this look pretty quick haha

20 hours ago, RockinRiviDad said:

I sure wish I woulda known 5 years ago what I know now...I woulda totally done the same “just go with it”...live & learn

I've owned my 67 mustang for 16 years now. I've put about 14K into it, and i'll be lucky to get 5K from it. That car's been a real education, about the car, and about myself both.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Seafoam65 said:

What caused this?

I’ve got the EFI installed & have been clocking miles (200) before doing a full write-up on my findings. This EFI turned my Riv into a rocket which has me flying around town in my car haha.

Simply put, I didn’t have my radiator overflow hose secured to anything other than the pet-cock on the radiator fill neck. It was stout fuel injector hose (not very flimsy, no excuse, I shoulda secured it better). 

At 75 mph the overflow hose got sucked into my fan, PS belt came off, both overflow hose & belt wrapped around water pump pulley, overflow hose pulled radiator into fan, shredded radiator & fan shroud, pet-cock ripped off, coolant blew everywhere including onto my feet threw the firewall (can’t expalin that one ?. Good thing I have no carpet yet haha). I couldn’t even make it off of the freeway. Yea, towed it home ?

700 miles on my car & now she’s broken again haha…ugh…