Sign in to follow this  
nick8086

What car would you put this on??

When I see those wheels, this is the first thing that comes to mind. I realize they are put on cars all the time, but for me, this is where they belong:

http://imganuncios.mitula.net/1970_blue_volkswagen_dune_buggy_for_sale_in_mount_calvary_wi_53057_96635328543411648.jpg

It might work, But they are the same size 6 inch..They Dune Buggy Has wide ones in the back....

The ones my neighbor has on his buggy are ET mags and they have a Chevy bolt pattern. He has adapters for a VW chassis. 14" up front and 15" in the rear. I will enclose some pics.

As previously mentioned, wheels like these are still being manufactured. Put them up for sale, but in my opinion the cost of getting them re-polished and/or chromed will be high enough that you would be further ahead to buy new wheels. Not to mention that they may not be straight or properly balanced...I don't know why everyone is so hung up on dunebugs, they are an interesting find for anyone building a 60's retro-car, but I wouldn't expect them to draw big money.

One of the Tires is a mobil pegasus tires. Any one want it? It has the pegasus in the rubber about every six inches on the side wall..

My neighbors 1960 era Sand Flea made by National Auto Glas back in the 60's (not the window glass co.) It has a 140hp Corvair Citation engine with 4 carbs, and yes ET mags.

post-96233-143142333439_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142333426_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142333433_thumb.jpg

Are they all the same size and back spacing? They look like 14x6's with no offset, but you've never said the exact size or bolt pattern. The finish on your last post looks much better(albeit still pitted), if they are all in similar condition. Next thing is to check for damage or pitting along the inner rims, out of round, bends or cracks. If they are good you might be able to start negotiating a little higher... maybe start at $125 and be prepared to come down.

The wheel is 14x6's with no offset.

Bolt pattern is 5 x 5. I still need to get a wheel to make sure.

I took a tape measure and went from one hole across to the other.

If you decide to sell I would not make reservations for dinner beyond the Golden Arches and don't expect a combo. Not quite a dime a dozen, but close !

Maybe you need to re-make the "Lil Coffin" and use them on it....

post-37352-14314233688_thumb.jpg

Since folks seem to think these wheels belong on dune buggies or street rods, here's a photo directly from this forum. Looks pretty good to me.

post-48036-143142337131_thumb.jpg

Most of us who remember the wheels on the original pictures of this thread I think would have agreed that the American Racing wheels were aftermarket wheels. I was going through a book on Shelby GT 350 Mustangs only to find that those wheels were one of five type of wheels that were or are considered factory originals. Those wheels came on Shelby Mustangs with the R code designation.

http://hooniverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Fullscreen-capture-1142011-90508-AM.bmp-720x454.jpg