1965 riviera project

Cstang50

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice. What size wheels are u running?

I did a similar disc brake swap with what looks like the same single piston calipers. Did your rotors come polished?

One of the members here pointed out from my pic that these calipers & pads look like they will only use a portion of the available rotor surface. I still have a ways to go before I drive mine. Can u comment on your braking system now that u did your conversion.

Regards,

David

The rooters were already like that, I went with the jamco kit.. They seem like they stop better not so touchy. I just finished them today so haven't really had a chance to test them out..the disc did push the front rims out about a 1/2 inch on both sides. the rims and 20x8.5.

thanks Casey

I wouldn't think you'd need to run a proportioning valve unless you are doing rear disc brakes. Remember proportioning valves only go on the rear brakes, never the front. No way the rear drums are going to out brake the front discs, so very doubtful you'd need a rear proportioning valve if running the stock rear drums.

Ya I'm running a proportioning valve, I tried it without one and if I slamed in the brakes the rear would lock up first..

Ya I'm running 8.5 up front the only time it rubs is if I have the car real low and try and make a u turn but other then that it's been fine.. I also would rub on sharp turns on the inside with the drums but since the disc pushed the rims out it seems better.

I wouldn't think you'd need to run a proportioning valve unless you are doing rear disc brakes. Remember proportioning valves only go on the rear brakes, never the front. No way the rear drums are going to out brake the front discs, so very doubtful you'd need a rear proportioning valve if running the stock rear drums.

Sorry, not correct. Discs take a lot more pressure to operate properly. Enough to operate the new front discs properly will lock the rears up way early each time you hit the pedal. Yes, David, you need a proportioning valve, unless you are going to change to four wheel discs.

Cstang, nice 65. Keep the updates coming.

I think there's a lot of confusion here and I think I know where it's coming from. When you change out your single reservoir master cylinders for a dual reservoir master cylinder, you don't need a proportioning valve. But if you add disk, as Steve says above, you definitely need one.

Ya I'm running a proportioning valve, I tried it without one and if I slamed in the brakes the rear would lock up first..

Ya I'm running 8.5 up front the only time it rubs is if I have the car real low and try and make a u turn but other then that it's been fine.. I also would rub on sharp turns on the inside with the drums but since the disc pushed the rims out it seems better.

If you haven't read it yet…we like pictures lol. Can u post a pic of your prop valve/master cylinder set up pls

It's seems crazy to me that u are running 8.5" wide wheels with minimal rubbing. I see there's hope for me run a wide one like u. I was running the stock 6" wide wheels before and in my tear down pix I clearing have wear spots on the frame as reminder.

David

I'm still running the stock master/booster I plan on up grading some day just haven't had the funds. I will take pic of the prop. Valve next time I have it in the air..

I was wondering if the stock drums and backing plates are worth anything? They are in good shape for as old as they are..

Oh yea…I'm sure dudes will be chomping at the bit for your aluminum front drums if u decide to sell. I am gonna hold on to mine. My Riv is not for sale but I've heard the theory "everything is for sale at the right price". The ability for someone to take it back to stock might be icing on the cake…

Did u mount the prop valve on the underside of the car? If so, what is the advantage?

Oh & Merry Christmas

David

Edited by RockinRiviDad (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

Wow! Very cool, I like the color. Are u doing all this in your garage? Have u done body work before?

Did u ever sell your aluminum brake drums?

I have another question on your 8.5" wide wheels. Do u have any rubbing issues in the rear where the exhaust passes over the rear axle? I was looking at mine & it looks like a tight fit with stock wheels & exhaust.

Thx for sharing

David

Yea we have painted a few cars, couldn't afford to pay someone..haha

I'm running my exaust dumped right before the axle when the car sits all the way down it was a really tight with stock pipe.

No haven't had much luck getting rid the the drums they cost a lot to ship..

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dwhiteside64

Gotta say that is turning into one sweet ride for sure! Love the color even though it's not stock (not many to choose from huh?). :P Keep sending us pics of your project as it progresses...

• 3 weeks later...
Got the car all cut and buffed. Just need some time to finish putting the chrome back on

You've made incredible progress on your project Cstang50. The outcome is stunning. I like the grille and it appears that you have done something to the rocker moldings. What exactly would that be?

By the way, you mentioned in your first post that you hoped to have it painted by June; Looks like you made it. :cool:

Steve

Edited by slosteve (see edit history)

• 1 month later...