What would you choose 1976 Pontiac Firebird Transam or 1971 Chevy Nova SS?

Guest topangatxdan

Guest topangatxdan

Hey there everyone, I am excited to be part of a new forum dedicated to a hobby of mine. So I am in a rut as to where I want to take my upcoming project. This will be my first classic car and thus the first journey into an awesome experience. The thing is, I have a bit of a dilemma on my hands. I can't decide between my two favorite cars, 1971 Chevy Nova SS vs a 1976 Pontiac TransAM Firebird(w/ a 455). I will likely be buying a junker and building it up myself through the coming year. What is your opinion on either of these two beasts? Is there any one reason you would recommend I go one way or the other? I would appreciate the help and welcome any opinion!!

Thanks

Edited by topangatxdan (see edit history)

Both GM cars from the same era, both very much alike. It comes down to which you prefer. The Chev will be cheaper to buy, cheaper to get parts and repairs for.

DO NOT buy a junker and fix it up. By the time you are done it will cost more than buying a good one. There are lots of Chevs and Trans Ams to choose from, buy the best one you can find or can afford. This may be the most valuable piece of advice on these forums, it took some of us 20 years and thousands of $$$$$$ bucks to figure it out.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

I would go for the Nova. I already have the firebird so I can't help but think the grass could be greener on the other side. If I didn't have the firebird I would likely go for that. It is a nice car to cruise around in. Internal engine parts cost quite a bit more for the firebird though.

I agree with Rusty. Buying either one of these as a junker to fix is a bad plan. It will cost far more in parts alone than you will get back out of the car IMHO.

Guest topangatxdan

thanks for the advice boys. but if the purpose of this is to be a project, where else should i look if not a junker? are there cars that are in good condition minus the 'junker' qualities

Your asking us to compare apples to oranges here really two different types of cars.

First, California T/A's for 1976 use a Olds 403. I happen to like real Pontiac engines in Pontiac's or because I also like Oldsmobiles Real Oldsmobile engines in Oldsmobiles....so don't shop for a 76 Ca. T/A. That being said, the 1976 Firebird has much better stock suspension than a 71 Nova. Nova, and the rest of the X body cars won't get that front end sub-assembly until 1975 so if you like a handling car the T/A is much better and when modified even better potential can be obtained. Later T/A's have a rear disc option and these can be applied to a 76.

Guest my3buicks

I agree with helfen, apple to orange, even though there is only 5 years difference in age, there is a world of difference in drivability. Both cars will have a good supply of parts, reproduction parts, etc. For a car to climb in and drive without anything else considered, the T/A wins hands down.

The Nova was an economy car, bottom of the line Chevy, the SS package added some flash and dash, but you still have a Nova under it all.

Your asking us to compare apples to oranges here really two different types of cars.

First, California T/A's for 1976 use a Olds 403. I happen to like real Pontiac engines in Pontiac's or because I also like Oldsmobiles Real Oldsmobile engines in Oldsmobiles....so don't shop for a 76 Ca. T/A.

Having an Olds engine in it would be all I need to know. Did Olds ever build a bad engine?....... <shrug><shrug></shrug>

Having an Olds engine in it would be all I need to know. Did Olds ever build a bad engine?....... <shrug><shrug></shrug>

Not at all. The short deck Olds 403 is a good engine. It has a great B/S ratio ( bore stroke ratio ) and it belongs in a Oldsmobile. The problem here is a Olds engine in a Pontiac. Pontiac fans don't like it and it reflects in resale values as well. What Pontiac fans really can't stand is the Firebirds of the very early 80's, still using the the same F body and now using the SB Chevy engine. To a Pontiac fan that means there is nothing different between a Firebird and a Camaro. In other words the Firebird is a Camaro.

Many fans of the four ( BOPC) GM divisions think that the main differences of their particular brand is the engine. The engine is the heart and soul of the mark.

</shrug>

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

At one time GM fostered these differences between their divisions, and each division had loyal followers. My dads side of the family was always Pontiac and Oldsmobile, while my moms side of the family was always Ford products. I remember one Saturday my uncle ( moms brother ) came over with a brand new 1965 Mercury ( 390, C-6 automatic, 9" rear ) and my dad said "Ernie why didn't you buy a new LTD and save yourself some money???? It's got the same engine, trans and rear end as your Merc???".

Another consideration is the 1973 and after "Bumper Car Bumper" rule which led to plastic and rubber fillers that are hard to get now.

To bad the Pontiac Firebird wasn't a 70 or 71 with the 400 engine and chome bumpers.

All the advice about getting the best car you can to start with is right on. Also which one do you like? The Granny car with the SS package or the sporty muscle car? Buy what lights your fire, not mine.

At one time GM fostered these differences between their divisions, and each division had loyal followers. My dads side of the family was always Pontiac and Oldsmobile, while my moms side of the family was always Ford products. I remember one Saturday my uncle ( moms brother ) came over with a brand new 1965 Mercury ( 390, C-6 automatic, 9" rear ) and my dad said "Ernie why didn't you buy a new LTD and save yourself some money???? It's got the same engine, trans and rear end as your Merc???".

My dad drove Lincolns, his cousin used to say that a Lincoln is just a Ford with lock washers.

Having owned a 71 and a 77 Nova my vote would be the Nova SS. I always liked the lines of the Nova. The 77 I had was the Rally version. It had a good suspension over the 71, but the 71 body was the one you saw at drag races. The Counting Cars TV show did a Nova Yenko tribute car during one of its recent rebuilds. It looked great. Can't say I've seen many 76 T/A's that looked that good.

Terry

Another consideration is the 1973 and after "Bumper Car Bumper" rule which led to plastic and rubber fillers that are hard to get now.

To bad the Pontiac Firebird wasn't a 70 or 71 with the 400 engine and chome bumpers.

All the advice about getting the best car you can to start with is right on. Also which one do you like? The Granny car with the SS package or the sporty muscle car? Buy what lights your fire, not mine.

Paul, there are a few place that sell "new" front and rear bumper covers (fascias) for most-if not all Firebird and Camaro 1974- early 80's. Since you said for 70-71 chrome bumpers meaning more than one, Pontiac Firebird has not used a chrome front bumper since 1969. The 70-73 cars do use a chrome rear bumper, ft is a Endura bumper same as 1968 -1974 GTO's.

Guest topangatxdan

im having trouble distuinguishing the differences between the 76-78 T/A other than a 400 engine and a bit of a facelift.

im having trouble distinguishing the differences between the 76-78 T/A other than a 400 engine and a bit of a facelift.

Not much except the big deal option of the 455 is gone after the 76 model year along with the T-400 that goes with it.