Wood Graining DIY

Bobby Rodd

I used the grain it kit on my 36 Chrysler. Super happy with it. The only thing I noticed was drying times on ink and the stains took quite a bit longer than I thought they would. I closed the pieces I was doing up in a car in the sun outside my shop for a couple of days to get them to really dry. The kit worked wonderfully though. I've been anxious to do my next car. Just haven't found one that needs graining yet.

I would definately order their kit again without giving it a second thought.

post-88682-143142304848_thumb.jpgHere're my 39 Packard model 110. Used the GIT system in oil base. They now push a water base which I have not tried. Beware, your car buddies will ask for small favors once they see your work. The burl patterns are a snap. The straight grains are a Pain.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]225902[/ATTACH]Here're my 39 Packard model 110. Used the GIT system in oil base. They now push a water base which I have not tried. Beware, your car buddies will ask for small favors once they see your work. The burl patterns are a snap. The straight grains are a Pain.

THAT IS BEAUTIFUL WORK! Yes, capitalized because I was shouting that at my computer.

post-88682-143142304972_thumb.jpgI not sure as to what to say. I'm not a painter. I saw the GIT booth at the Turkey Run at Daytona about 10 years ago and they had a display of just what I wanted to do to my dash and window moldings. Followed their instructions and there you have it. I will say...I cheated a little. They supply small amounts of the colors you order and it ain't cheap to get more. Well, it didn't take long to figure out that an art supply store sells the same stuff to artists who paint. I used DuPont high build primer and their clear coat. The original was low sheen but I wanted a hi gloss finish (it is a street rod as you can tell from the pic). I was lucky enough to be able to remove the dash and other parts. This made it much easier to paint in my garage, and no, I will not show a pic of what my brother calls a garbage dump. The GIT people were good people to deal with at the time, but it's been years. Like I said before, the straight grain stuff is a pain. BTW, the frog is my wife's idea. Edited by Beltfed (see edit history)

The problem with buying a used kit, as someone pointed out, is you get what they purchased for the inking boards. If you what another type or pattern you have to purchase. I'm not sure but GIT may have an exchange program. Also the color of the ink may be different than what you want. How the PO stored the rollers may also be an issue as the they are very soft rubber and will take a 'set' if not stored correctly. Learning how to use it can be frustrating, be prepared for a lot of re do. Yeah, I know if doesn't sound worth it but when you master it, the finished product will make the interior of your ride.

We borrowed a GIT kit from a friend a number of years ago and did these. I think this kind of job is as easy as it gets, since I can remove them from the car and lay it flat on the bench. In the past we have done wood graining on garnish moldings but using a different process. We resell these dash inserts and it boils down to ROI. Your point is well taken about the pattern and the care the previous owner took of the rollers. I don't like loaning out tools, so I don't expect my friend to do it either. We have always used printers ink due to the lower cost and availability.

post-54743-14314230561_thumb.jpg

post-54743-143142305615_thumb.jpg