1927 Standard Six Engine Break-in

Guest TomB

If all the planets in the cosmos align correctly, my 1927 Standard Six engine should return to me next month with new babbiting. As this is my first Pre-war project, I am wondering if anyone on this forum would be so kind as to share the proper break-in procedure for my 1927 Dictator. I was also advised to use break-in oil with a newly assembled engine. Anyone have suggestions/comments regarding break-in oils; such as preferred brands or vendors that offer break-in oils? All replies are welcome. Thank you.

Respectfully,

TomB

Tom,

The automotive OEMs typically create the best oil additive packages as they have the needs, history and, more importantly, the resources for development of oil blends. Speaking in terms of mineral oils, most oil base stocks are similar between the major oil companies. The differences are in the additive packages developed that are blended in. This is mostly true for the synthetics too, although there are several different types of synthetic base stocks. That all said, your engine rebuilder should have used an assembly lubricant when reassembling your engine. Personally, I have had good success adding a 16 oz bottle of GM assembly lube with a good quality, straight weight, ashless dispersant mineral oil (example might be the Pennzoil SAE HD-30 that is on the shelf at your local store). Start the engine, idle for a while then start driving it with some load, just keep the engine speed (rpm) to a moderate level for the first several hundred miles. The key is that you don't want to just idle it for extended periods, it should be run in under a load to seat (break-in) the rings to cylinder wall interface and keeping the rpm down will allow your new babbited to properly seat, wear off any high spots, etc. before increasing the loads on the bearings which go up exponentially with engine rpm.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-88862586/ or you can buy it at your local GM dealer.

I would change the oil after one or two hundred miles and just use SAE 30 oil and skip the ZDDP additives - no need for it in your car (the break-in oil has the required zinc for break-in, after that, save your money).

Scott