dr914

reskinned riviera dash pad

4 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

That looks like a `63 dash pad?

Tom

63 it is. No speaker grill; defrost only.

16 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Tom

Tom, yes it is a 1963 reupholstered dash pad. I bought from another ROA member.

Turbinator

Hi All,

Is 64 and 65 the same dash pad?  I was told that 65 had a dark saddle dash pad.  My 64 dash pad is a dark brown (saddle?).   Where is is all this info on what is correct.  Do the judges at a Riviera meet have all this info and where are they getting it.

Thanks,

Art 

Judging at ROA meets is not done by judges or a panel.  It's a peer judged event.  Every registrant gets to vote for one car in each class.  (Your wife is a registrant so she gets a vote as well.) Not too many members know the subtleties of each generation so chances of knowing which color dash goes with a certain color interior are nil.  At each meet, you'll find a number of 63 and 64s with rally wheels which are registered as "stock" and people will cast votes for them not knowing the wheels are wrong.  You have nothing to worry about. Paint it the color that looks best in you opinion.

On 11/26/2019 at 9:40 AM, 1965rivgs said:

Tom

Tom, you are 100 % correct it is a 1963 Riviera Dash pad. 
Turbinator

3 hours ago, RivNut said:

Judging at ROA meets is not done by judges or a panel.  It's a peer judged event.  Every registrant gets to vote for one car in each class.  (Your wife is a registrant so she gets a vote as well.) Not too many members know the subtleties of each generation so chances of knowing which color dash goes with a certain color interior are nil.  At each meet, you'll find a number of 63 and 64s with rally wheels which are registered as "stock" and people will cast votes for them not knowing the wheels are wrong.  You have nothing to worry about. Paint it the color that looks best in you opinion.

Nil? There are some members of the ROA I’ve met ( including you) I believe to be expert on the finer points of accurate restoration. It is my opinion if you know the answer to a question then answer to the best of your ability. Let the person asking the question proceed with accurate information. Not to worry what others not in the know do with their car. I’m lucky in liking everything original on my 63 Riviera. I try hard to keep the car as original as I think it can be. I do change the wheels up once in awhile. The change in wheel appearance are my original efforts knowing the wheel is not stock. Since the ROA meet is peer judged bring your Riviera any way you like.

” It’s your thing for what you wanna do.” 
Turbinator

Rivnut,

I really appreciate the answers to my questions on authenticity.  Maybe there should be a separate thread on all stuff related to Authenticity.  So the judging is not terribly serious if I ever decide to attend a ROA event.  Not like on corvettes.😀 Nothing against the corvettes.

So is a 64 dash pad the same physically as a 65?  I'm asking because I got a 64 pad from OPGI ( I know, I know, but choices are limited).  Nice pad, not what I think is the correct color (saddle), but it had a small defect, so they are sending me a replacement.  Come to find out they have a dark saddle pad, but they tell me it for a 65.  So that is why the question.  I thought the 64 and 65 were the same, but because I really cannot say I spent much time looking at a 65, I don't know for sure.

Art

Edited by awk409ak (see edit history)

20 hours ago, awk409ak said:

I really appreciate the answers to my questions on authenticity.  Maybe there should be a separate thread on all stuff related to Authenticity.  So the judging is not terribly serious if I ever decide to attend a ROA event.  Not like on corvettes.😀 Nothing against the corvettes.

Ah, yes, Corvette judging. The combination of production numbers, vast knowledge, and various levels of insanity. I could tell you stories …

… what RivNut says about ROA judging is true. There is more formal judging that a Riviera could be … subjected … to (AACA, BCA, etc.). There are also reasons to chase authenticity other than how well a car will judge.

Edited by J3Studio (see edit history)

i have had '64 & '65 dash-pads off & there appear to be the same in all areas.