302 motor mount advice needed for 56 fairlane

Guest silenmusicio21

Guest silenmusicio21

hi everyone, was wondering if anyone had a bolt on kit recommendation for a 302 that im going to be installing in my 56 fairlane soon. any help would be greatly appreciated, haven't been able to find too much on this. thanks.

Guest silenmusicio21

I have a y block that's going to go in eventually, I have a 292 but just cant afford the rebuild on it at the moment and would like to enjoy driving the car around for a little while before I spend the couple thousand building the y block. I have a 302 boss that im going to put in it for the mean time, just didn't want to have to weld motor mounts in it.

At least you're staying in-family with the 302. As far as off the shelf bolt-in kits it would probably be easier to go DBC.

Do you mean SBC ?? probably right, but this is newer than what most of those kit are for.

If the plan is to go back to the Y block some day down the road, I wouldn't do any welding even if you can't find a kit. I would set the motor down in it's desired location, and build my own mounts to bolt between the stock ones on the frame, and the motor. Seems to me that the 302 would be narrower, so a slightly larger mount should work.

In all obviousness, yes. Someday I might master this typing stuff.

I do that to. The D and the S are to close together. Now that I take another look, all of the keys are to close together. I tend to hit the caps lock on occasion and have to do a lot of retyping so you wont think I am yelling at you.

Glad I have spell check.

There are factory mounts that will bolt a sbf into your 56,63/64 galaxie 289 mounts will work but a one inch spacer will need to be used between the mounts and block. I think fox body mustang mounts will work too along with 80s trucks,I bought a kit to put the 351-w in my 55 but the motor is up against the firewall on the drivers side. A FE motor will bolt in with the Y block mounts after they are turned around or switched sides and would be the easiest to do,what I do not like about a sbf in one is you can not use the original throttle linkage and will have to use late model parts. I am going to put a Y block back in eventually but going to wear out the 351 before I yank it out.