65 Replacement Shocks - Which to you Use?

izo369

Hello,

Looking to replace original shocks this winter and was wondering if the members could provide feedback on what their using.

Have found several manufactures of Shocks for the 65, Gabriel, Bilstein, KYB, Monroe, Rare Parts ranging from 19.99 to 190 per shock. I would prefer stiffer than stock shock but original load is fine too. Are Rare Parts $190 really 9 times better then the Gabriels $19.99?

Thank you

Izo

Rock Auto has the Monroe's for <$17.00 for each shock. Part numbers are specific to the '63 - '65 Riviera, not some universal shock to which you need to add bushings or shims.

I've got them on both my '63 and '64 and can find nothing to complain about.

I don't know if the $190 shocks are 9 times better than the $19.99 Gabriels, but I'm convinced that Monroes are much better than Gabriels.

I saved up all my nickels & dimes until I had enough for Bilstein's. There are plenty of posts here of people who have bought them and say things like "worth every penny" or "by far the best upgrade". I wish I was better at searching old threads & cutting & pasting the link that might help u. It was something to do with making your decision based on how u drive your car. I want a "corner carver" so that's the set up I'm building.…can't wait

Regards,

David

I saved up all my nickels & dimes until I had enough for Bilstein's. There are plenty of posts here of people who have bought them and say things like "worth every penny" or "by far the best upgrade". I wish I was better at searching old threads & cutting & pasting the link that might help u. It was something to do with making your decision based on how u drive your car. I want a "corner carver" so that's the set up I'm building.…can't wait

Regards,

David

When I plugged in the 65 Riviera under vehicle type on the Bilstein home page. It said they don't make shocks for this vehicle. Where did you purchase yours and what was the model #. Thanks Dan

I have Monroe Sensa Tracs on my Buick. They are from Rock Auto. They are fine. Bilstein's are a great shock. I bought a set for a lowered Roadmaster station wagon I had. No complaints on the performance. But the price. I guess I'm too cheap to spend $500+ on shocks nowadays.

When I plugged in the 65 Riviera under vehicle type on the Bilstein home page. It said they don't make shocks for this vehicle. Where did you purchase yours and what was the model #. Thanks Dan

Huh, that's weird…I got my shocks in last night…

davyqu7u.jpgvama2aba.jpg

If your not an ROA member, you gotta get on that. Tons of resources for us in the back of the magazine we get regularly. I like to support the vendors there first whenever I can. A guy in Atlanta, GA, George Hussey 770-427-2844, your end of the world right, has an ad there for Bilstein's. The shocks shipped from a distributor not far from me here in Cali which was nice saved a bunch on shipping. That distributors name is RCD in El Cajon, CA. I talked to the distributor… turns out they are really nice people…he said he will re-valve these shocks if needed to the ideal shock travel once I get the car together since I told him I will be riding 2 inches lower than stock.

Part #'s:

Front 55-R101

Rear 55-R216

tugetanu.jpg

Hope this helped

Regards,

David