• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Machine Gun said:

And for New Jersey! Wait.....nobody says that.

New Jersey ?

Wait -- Is that one of the reasons I moved FROM New Jersey?

Maybe it was because of what else New Orleans offers:

Great Food

Hardly ever snow (maybe once every 20 years - and then just a dusting)

Great Food

Drive convertibles ALL YEAR LONG - top-down

Great Food

Great Music - even on the streetcorners, and I've played trumpet and trombone with some of the best over the years

Great Food

No need to "Winterize" antique cars (or any others unless you travel north)

Great Food

Some of the nicest folks anywhere

Great Food

No driving on icy streets

Great Food

Oh Wait, - Did I mention Great Food ???

Our only Snowballs come in a cup with many differing flavored syrups !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
20 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

New Jersey ?

Wait -- Is that one of the reasons I moved FROM New Jersey?

Maybe it was because of what else New Orleans offers:

Great Food

Hardly ever snow (maybe once every 20 years - and then just a dusting)

Great Food

Drive convertibles ALL YEAR LONG - top-down

Great Food

Great Music - even on the streetcorners, and I've played trumpet and trombone with some of the best over the years

Great Food

No need to "Winterize" antique cars (or any others unless you travel north)

Great Food

Some of the nicest folks anywhere

Great Food

No driving on icy streets

Great Food

Oh Wait, - Did I mention Great Food ???

Our only Snowballs come in a cup with many differing flavored syrups !

I think you forgot to mention hurricanes.

images.jpeg.610b571d3229df630e41f7ab53216dbd.jpeg

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, RivNut said:

I think you forgot to mention hurricanes.

images.jpeg.610b571d3229df630e41f7ab53216dbd.jpeg

That pic looks more like the result of west coast rain landslides.

Yeah, we get hurricanes here, and also had them in Jersey,

but unlike a tornado - with hurricanes at least you have a couple of days to decide to stay or to get out of the way-

but that wasn't the reason for moving here-

As you might expect, the real reason was a fantastic woman,

great at waterskiing, fishing, off-shore boat handling, hand-thrown pottery, tour/rallye directions & driving,

and after better than 51 years, it was still one of the best decisions I ever made !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

That pic looks more like the result of west coast rain landslides.

Yeah, we get hurricanes here, and also had them in Jersey,

but unlike a tornado - with hurricanes at least you have a couple of days to decide to stay or to get out of the way-

but that wasn't the reason for moving here-

As you might expect, the real reason was a fantastic woman,

great at waterskiing, fishing, off-shore boat handling, hand-thrown pottery, tour/rallye directions & driving,

and after better than 51 years, it was still one of the best decisions I ever made !

Don't know about west coast rain landslides, I just Googled "New Orleans hurricane" and this is one of the pictures that came up. It's pretty much representative of others that I found.  

23 hours ago, Elpad said:

As  you might expect, the real reason was a fantastic woman,

great at waterskiing, fishing, off-shore boat handling, hand-thrownpottery, tour/rallye directions &driving,

How about Buicks?

Nope - no Buick, at least not at that time, but it did happen later. She drove an almost new '67 Toyota Crown station wagon (Maybe a luxury dream of a Chevy II Knock-off?) Overhead Cam Straight-Six, Stick with Overdrive, and her father (a Pharmacist) had an Olds 88, the Boat and "Weekend Palace", a fantastic "camp" at Grand Isle, LA (barrier Island at the Gulf of Mexico) for off-shore fishing, skiing, shrimping, and generally good times. 

We eventually bought a new Buick, among other things, but traded the Toyota for a Citroen DS-21, later a series of Citroen models including the Citroen Maserati-engined SM sport coupe, 2-CV, DS-21 Pallas, three different D-21 station wagons, Ami-6, and others. Trimacar (David) got us back going down the "Antique" road back in the 1970s, and we've never regretted the cars, friendships, and memories - driving the "Lower-48" and more.

On 11/24/2020 at 3:15 PM, RivNut said:

Don't know about west coast rain landslides, I just Googled "New Orleans hurricane" and this is one of the pictures that came up. It's pretty much representative of others that I found.  

Maybe part of the trouble with google - there is no raised land like that picture here in the New Orleans area 😐

Sure, we have our issues - who doesn't - but we deal with what we have,

and if life deals you rain,

Pat O'Brien's (the location of my Bachelor Party back in 1969) makes their own style of "HURRICANE" :

Light Rum

Dark Rum

Jerro's Red Passion Fruit Cocktail MIx

Ice

Slice of Orange

Served in a tall Hurricane Lamp Glass

while sitting in a dueling-Piano Bar sharing Bawdy Songs and Backroom Ballads

Wishing all a peaceful and safe Thanksgiving

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

Nope - no Buick, at least not at that time, but it did happen later. She drove an almost new '67 Toyota Crown station wagon (Maybe a luxury dream of a Chevy II Knock-off?) Overhead Cam Straight-Six, Stick with Overdrive, and her father (a Pharmacist) had an Olds 88, the Boat and "Weekend Palace", a fantastic "camp" at Grand Isle, LA (barrier Island at the Gulf of Mexico) for off-shore fishing, skiing, shrimping, and generally good times. 

We eventually bought a new Buick, among other things, but traded the Toyota for a Citroen DS-21, later a series of Citroen models including the Citroen Maserati-engined SM sport coupe, 2-CV, DS-21 Pallas, three different D-21 station wagons, Ami-6, and others. Trimacar (David) got us back going down the "Antique" road back in the 1970s, and we've never regretted the cars, friendships, and memories - driving the "Lower-48" and more.

Growing among 🇺🇸 American cars, Citroen 🇫🇷 cars were a frightful thought. I remember reading about a model that could be driven with only three wheels.

Just now, Elpad said:

Growing among 🇺🇸 American cars, Citroen 🇫🇷 cars were a frightful thought. I remember reading about a model that could be driven with only three wheels.

Yes, that was our Hydraulic D-Series,

and if I hooked to the trailer using an Equalizer Hitch, I cold remove BOTH rear wheels and drive .

That was also the model featured in the movie "Day of the Jackal" where an attempt on the life of Charles DeGaulle was thwarted by the Citroen's ability to be driven at great speed even on four blown (shot-out) tires.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Talarico8447 said:

Notice no white wall on the rear. Snow Tires! Reminds me of my Grandfather rolling out the pre mounted snow tires on extra rims every winter. 

Reminds you of your grandfather? What, you trying to make me feel old? It reminds me of me when I used to roll out the pre-mounted snow tires every winter.

Edited by Machine Gun (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

12/17/2020 @ 9:54 AM EST...Weymouth, MA at 1 foot and still snowing, wind from the east off the ocean (very unusual, normally from the northwest) at 40 mph.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, JohnD1956 said:

12/17/2020:  Believe me, those are two of my Buicks.  In case you are wondering what the black mark on the side of the wagon is, it's the rear view mirror 

20201217_083717.jpg

OMG John!

Have been watching the reports and feel for you guys out east.

We have been fortunate here to have missed the brunt of this storm with only about 1 1/2 inches. Don't worry, our turn will come for sure before the winter is over.

Stay well and safe gang.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's 45° F sunny with no wind in the KC area today.  It's supposed to get into the 50's and 60's this weekend. 🌞 But there might as well be a couple of feet of snow; I'm still playing it safe.

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

12/17/2020:  Believe me, those are two of my Buicks.  In case you are wondering what the black mark on the side of the wagon is, it's the rear view mirror 

20201217_083717.jpg

Wow, I just didn't think it would be fair to give you a like, as you've been a friend for over 40 years!

We only got a fraction of that.

Take care digging out!

Keith

• Like 1

John:  I hit the like button for the creative way you dug the wagon out and left the snow on the roof.  It must have been a heavy wet snow to seemingly weigh the car down or is it full of camping gear?  In southern Ontario we were part of the same storm but on the western edge and received a trace amount, thanks for taking the hit for us.  Interesting pictures.

Stay well, Gary

DSC_4602 (2).JPG

• Like 3
1 hour ago, cxgvd said:

John:  I hit the like button for the creative way you dug the wagon out and left the snow on the roof.  It must have been a heavy wet snow to seemingly weigh the car down or is it full of camping gear?  In southern Ontario we were part of the same storm but on the western edge and received a trace amount, thanks for taking the hit for us.  Interesting pictures.

Stay well, Gary

DSC_4602 (2).JPG

I am glad others weren't impacted like this. It is a lot of snow but it wasn't heavy wet stuff, it is what I imagine skiers love, thick fluffy light snow. Problem is it still weighs a lot in these accumulations even if its a fluffy powder.  Where I live was hit by a confluence of two different storms which was not the early prediction. Original predictions was for 1-3 inches.  Instead we got 29-32. And further south in Binghamton NY they got 41 inches.  @KAD36 lives in that neck of the woods and @jackofalltrades70 lives about an hour south of him.  I imagine those two guys are still buried.  

Oh well, just chaulking it up to the changing "normal" like a lot of other things this century. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2