Winter Buicks

JohnD1956

Winter Buicks, Manitoba style...we don't get as much snow as a lot of places, but we do get wind, therefore drifting.  I was out to the country place today and took a few photos, one of the '54 Century parts car, and a general display of winter Buicks...and a Kubota.

20170115_2480_54Century.jpg

20170115_2488_ManitobaWinterBuicks.jpg

• Like 7

Only this measly pile of snow left today, but forecast is for 40-degree temperatures this week, so I had to take the shot before it's all gone...  The seasonal average snowfall here is ~120 inches, so I'm sure I'll get another chance for a real winter scene like Thriller's above!

IMG_0679.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, JohnD1956 said:

Now that's something you don't often hear..

I didn't have to go to work today, nor did I want to - I'm under the weather the Buick is snowed in and I've been driving it daily. My student debt for the quarter is paid off and I got accepted to the university of my choice so just waiting it out until transfer time in August. So I would consider it a blessing, others would call me mad. :P

• Like 1

Coast to coast colds?  Been battling one myself since last Wednesday. The only good thing about a cold this time of year is the prospect that it is done and over with for the summer.

Glad you got accepted to the university of choice.  Quite an accomplishment!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Sounds very healthy ! If you have to to crank that long , might be a good idea to prime the carb , though. On carbureted cars with accelerator pumps and conventional key or button start systems , (doesn't yours have the starter switch when you floor the gas pedal ?) , rapidly pumping the gas pedal while cranking after long periods of sitting can help. Enjoy the holidays back home on The Wet Side ! I hope your studies are going well on The Dry Side !    - Carl

• Like 3

EgggegZACTtically ! That is one reason you prime them first "after long periods of sitting" (see above - which your Buick had been doing). The engine should fire immediately if you also have spark. Rapidly pumping the gas pedal just as soon as it fires may be enough to keep running. Might have to prime again. If it doesn't fire at all on a prime , you may have an ignition issue (too). If you have to prime it half a dozen times , it fires and dies each time , give it a couple double dose primes. At this point , if it still dies out , peep into the carb while goosing the throttle (linkage). If you don't see gas squiring , uh you know what DAT means ! Fuel issue. Go in the house , do something else for a little while , and when you come back , the horse MIGHT just have learned to speak. Batteries can be low after long periods of sitting. Lots of info for free by priming before first start after long periods of sitting. You get the point ! Did you get your flu shot ?   - Carl

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I took the first picture yesterday and posted it under another topic. That's how things are sitting right now. Word is that the turkey will be ready a 5:00. It is almost 11:00 now. I just bumped the heat up in the garage and will be out there in an hour, doing absolutely nothing, just walking about, touching, looking, thinking. I'm not even going to slip in a CD or turn on the radio.

001.thumb.JPG.aace9f2ef50d9e56d7894cc1bfba29c4.JPG

004.thumb.JPG.9b5481150a9b7cbc7108bab593761efd.JPG

005.thumb.JPG.a27e91cf3ad8180549a56112de1bdef1.JPG

• Like 4

I took the Aqua Zephyr out on a Christmas Day run this evening.

IMG_20171225_172303_777.thumb.jpg.4af890a1162226f055502262ea229571.jpg

It's been a while since she has had a good drive. This evening was perfect with very light traffic and a long expanse of expressway to open her up on. 

IMG_20171225_200220_645.thumb.jpg.5c00ca555a7a5a0dc2800240313ec953.jpg

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 6