Fluid drive reverse problem

dberkham

I took my car 1950 Chrysler Windsor with fluid drive) in for service to fix leaks in the oil pan and pump, plus transmission seal. Never had a problem with the tranny but they tell me now there is no reverse. Any input would be appreciated. I'll pass along advice to the mechanics. Thanks.

It's a shift rod adjustment thats needed. They must of slightly moved the engine on the mounts ect. A common situation when working on the drive train on these cars. I have had to do this adjustment many times myself after drive train work.

One shift rod has 2 nuts up by the steering column. You either shorten them or lengthen to get the trans shifter lever to shift into all gears-Low/High range and reverse.. If you go one way too far-no reverse. Go to far the other way no low high.

• 1 month later...

You no doubt have the M6 transmission behind the fluid drive coupling. Basically this is Gyro-Matic as Dodge called it. With a torque converter it is called Gyro-Torque.

Fluid drive was what you had with a normal 3 speed manual transmission behind the fluid coupling.

Your M6 has 2 forward positions (Position 2nd and 3rd like a 3 speed) with a low/high range in each.

As explained by others, it is shifted the same way as a normal 3 speed transmission MINUS FIRST GEAR. LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT IS ALL IT SHOULD NEED. Fluid level is not an issue except if it will not go forward either. Did they drain the fluid coupling? It has to be refilled through the same hole in the unit. There is a floor tunnel access high up on the passenger side transmission hump, under the carpet. This is where you fill the fluid coupling, with 10 weight engine oil.