Sign in to follow this  
moldymac

1988 with suede bolsters

Guest BJM

It depends on who you ask but generally speaking suede bolstered 88's mean an early production car. IMO, that car is a steal and I would consider purchasing it if closer. Of course they never seem to be. But let's see, low mileage, no rust (subject to your inspection if interested) probably an early car, suede bolsters look like they are in nice shape and only $1375 or offer.

In very rough numbers about the first 1/3 of the 1988 Reattas had suede bolsters. Tan was the first color that switched to all slick leather and the other colors followed as the suede seats on hand were used.

Guest my3buicks

You know, statements like the above are fun, but can really mess up someone that is trying to research and come up with correct and factual information - if you must do this, I think a disclaimer stating that modifications are by owner would be a great idea. Would be sad to see someone sink a lot of money into having something redone incorrectly only to find out it was a big hoax.

If you ordered an option the Craft Centre would accommodate. That was the design of the Craft Centre's unique assembly process. A "code" for every special option didn't exist due to the limitations of computers in use at that time. I see more of these cars than any 10 of the self proclaimed "experts" and there are many variations unrecognized by the uniformed.

One of the ideas on this forum is to inform people about Reattas. We have owners that have their original car, and we have new owners. Each can be helpful in furthering the history of Reattas. When someone finds something unique, (paint, trim, options) it should be documented with photos and the vin number. This process will help us build history, and document these unique features. This is very important if the car is still in the hands of the original owner. This recorded history will also help future BCA judges properly judge Reattas at Buick events.

Back in Flint 2003 there was a white coupe still in the hands of the original owner. It had a blue vinyl top with a strange back window. The owner swore that that is the way he purchased it from the dealer. The feeling among the Reatta "experts" was this was a dealer installed top. The owner did not have documentation with him and this was not a judged event. This may be one of the examples of what steveskyhawk considers Craft Centre options.

Guest my3buicks

I find in hard to believe there wasn't documentation if some sort when/if a car had something unique or different than standard order. The no computer theory is BS, for instance, my 72 is a special order color, on the body plate it has SCO (special customer order). I have 4 separate build sheets for the car, all 4 have SCO 65 Flame Orange hand written in them. In the world of bean counters something extra would have been charged and documented, they didn't give extra stuff for free. I am a stickler for documentation. I don't buy the because I said so theory. The top Barney speaks of certainly sounds like a dealer add on and also something that the craft center would not have done without extra cost and a paper trail.

Steve: How many Reattas have you personally seen that have non-standard Craft Centre built configurations? The only one I have heard of was Frank Sinatra Jrs chrome exhaust tips. But any muffler shop can install those. Dealer-added options, which are quite common in the industry, don't count. Prototypes also don't count.

Speaking of grey valve caps, I am aware of, and have samples of, at least three different variants. Most of my samples did not come from Reattas. And only one is correct for my Reatta (and by extension Keiths, since his Reatta was probably built on the same day and shift as my Reatta.) However the 400 Point Judging Manual does not go into such a level of detail. I would assume that for the '400 point judging', any of the three variants is fine.

Edited by wws944 (see edit history)

PLEASE: enough with the bickering and negative comments or the ruler comes out. Some have now exhausted their quota of negatives (no, never, no-one). As far as I an concerned the only reliable data is what was entered in the computer and appears on the SPI sticker in the trunk, a build sheet, or a billing card. Hearsay ("the owner swore") isn't worth the paper it is printed on.

That said there are many things (mainly cosmetic) the factory could have done and many they could not. Either the EPA or the NHTSA would have Had Words if the certifications were violated. Am not familiar with the Craft Center in the '80s but when I was involved with Pontiac, "body in the aisle" on a billing record meant that almost anything could have emerged from the garage door.

Bottom line, "never say never" and if you do not have anything positive to say, use a PM.

Guest my3buicks

Excuse me, you have just done exactly what you are saying not to do, but under the guise of moderator, Given your opinion just as we did on the subject. In exactly the same tone. I didn't see anything malicious being said, it all appeared to be good constructive discussion and opinions.

my3buicks,

I will have to come to padgett's defense. I suspect that you did not see the post that was deleted from this discussion. The bickering and arguments need to end.

hhmm, I didn't
You didn't miss anything. It was basically the same sermon that has been preached to us non-believers for years. It really gets old.