Distributor Installation

Guest Tim Romans

Guest Tim Romans

Hey, happy to report that after a year and a half, I think the performance problem I was having with the '41 missing at high RPMs is solved. I pulled out the distributor and the gear at the bottom was waaay loose and there was play in the bottom bushing, plus the bushing pin was nowhere to be found.

So, sent it off and got it rebuilt and she's ready to go back on. Should I grease the gear before putting it back and if so, what type of grease? I marked where the rotor was pointing on the block and took extensive photos so that should be good prep. I know if it doesn't go in, not to force it. How do you get the shaft lined up again with the oil pump? Long screwdriver?

Any other tips, tricks, or warnings that I've missed?

Thanks again guys!

Tim

Hey, happy to report that after a year and a half, I think the performance problem I was having with the '41 missing at high RPMs is solved. I pulled out the distributor and the gear at the bottom was waaay loose and there was play in the bottom bushing, plus the bushing pin was nowhere to be found.

So, sent it off and got it rebuilt and she's ready to go back on. Should I grease the gear before putting it back and if so, what type of grease? I marked where the rotor was pointing on the block and took extensive photos so that should be good prep. I know if it doesn't go in, not to force it. How do you get the shaft lined up again with the oil pump? Long screwdriver?

Any other tips, tricks, or warnings that I've missed?

Thanks again guys!

Tim

Tim, hopefully you have not turned the engine. If you line the rotor up with your mark, the gears will do the rest.

Good luck.

Ben

Hi,

If you have not cranked the engine with the distributor out, the shaft should line up just fine. Fine tune the timing per specs.

If you HAVE cranked the engine, then 1) don't do that next time; 2) get yourself to top dead center, and 3) use a screwdriver as you asked about to align the oil pump to the shaft.

--Tom

Edited by trp3141592
Added add'l info (see edit history)