A Very Newbie Question here!

Howdy all!<P>I have been seriously considering purchasing my very first vintage/classic car.<P>I've always wanted a nice convertible, but shied away from buying due to my lack of knowledge.<P>So here's my question -<P>What is a good first car to buy in this category for someone who is not a mechanic and wants to stay under $10K? <P>I've been looking at 1962 -1969 Ford Fairlanes, Ford Galaxies and Oldsmobile Cutlasses. Am I on the right track with these? I don't want to show the car, just something to baby a bit and enjoy cruising around a couple of times a week in.<P>I apologize for the general nature of this question, but you gotta start somewhere. smile.gif" border="0<P>Thanks in advance for any tips and suggestions you have to offer. cool.gif" border="0

A litle partial but you can not go wrong with a Cutlass. There are several aftermarket companies making virtually everything you need to keep you car running or to restore it. The Oldsmobile Club of America is very strong in the Cutlass models and there is a wealth of help for you. Since the Cutlass was the number 1 midsize car for several years there are a lot of them out there and as long as you stay away from the 4-4-2's you will probably find one in your price range.

I think any convertible from the 60's could be a good buy for you. Just follow your tastes when it comes to make and model.<P>I do recommend one thing though - if you are not a hands-on person mechanically then be sure to have a reputable mechanic look over the car before you put your money down. Preferable the mechanic who will be working on the car for you after you purchase it. It could save you a lot of grief in the future.

I would have to agree with the Peter. One suggestion also that may be helpful now as well as when you aquire a car, seek out a local car club in your area. (hint hint AACA ) grin.gif" border="0 <P>If you want a Ford Thunderbird you may want to join the Vintage Thunderbird Club. If you are interested in the Oldsmobiles, seek out the Oldsmobile club, etc. It will certainly help to get with others who have a car similar to yours (or one you may be considering) for advice/assistance if needed.<BR>Good Luck

Thank you for your posts. I have a good friend who has done some serious restorations on late 60s Camaros, he's volunteered (a.k.a. been bribed with food and beer smile.gif" border="0 )to go with me and check out the cars. I'll be on the look out for a good mechanic also.<P>I'm definately looking for a model which will have good parts availability. Sounds like the Cutlass will be one of the best bets. <P>Joining a club is an excellent idea also. <BR>I'm also looking forward to learning how to do a little hands on maintenance myself. I think this is going to be a lot of fun. <P>Thanks again!<P>p.s. Looking for a car as close to stock as possible, planning on keepin' it that way too. smile.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0<P><BR>added on edit: Thanks for clarifying the useage of those terms Peter H. I did wonder which term(s) was correct. Collectable it shall be.<p>[ 07-30-2002: Message edited by: Gwenhwyfar ]

Any of the cars you mentioned would be a good first choice as they're simple to work on and parts and technical support is excellent. <P>If you decide to go Olds, I think I'd stick with a 64-72 Cutlass- the 61-63, while nice and interesting cars, have some components that can be hard to get repaired these days i.e their HydraMatic transmissions. The 64-72 are mechanically modern cars, can handle today's traffic easily, and have a style and panache most cars of that era can't begin to approach.<P>You might even want to consider a full size Olds ragtop for the same reasons. 1971-75 do have a weird top that scares off trim shops sometimes, but they are great cars.<P>In addition to AACA, you would have the Dixie Olds Chapter OCA in Atlanta for local club support, or if you're closer to Florida, the Olds Club of Florida. And if you're in north Georgia, you're fairly close to Mid Atlantic Olds Club which often meets in Charlotte area. <P>As always- get the best car you can afford to start with. It will save much aggravation in the long run, even if you have to pay a bit more for it initially.<p>[ 07-30-2002: Message edited by: rocketraider ]

Have you considered Chrysler products?such as the New Yorker, Newport, Imperial?<BR>Not only are the '60's Mopars well built and reliable with an excellent parts and collector info network but they are generally more affordable than their Ford or GM counterparts perhaps on account of their styling which runs the gamut from outstandingly handsome to unrelievedly dull..........but don't take my word for it........... wink.gif" border="0

If you're limited to $10K for the purchase and you're sold on convertibles only, you may have a better chance at a solid quality car with the Ford than with the Olds. Personally I prefer Olds over Ford during that period by a mile, but unfortunately most do and the value of Olds convertibles tends to be somewhat higher than the Ford. The last numbers I have show a price difference of $3200 between #2 condition (excellent) '67 Cutlass' and '67 Fairlane 500 convertibles. <P>You may also want to consider Mercury convertibles if you like the Ford. They often catalog slightly higher in value by a few hundred dollars, but with lessened club support over the Ford they're harder to sell and are usually more "negotiable". And in this timeframe the mid-size (and to a lesser extent, the full-size) Mercurys are visually and mechanically very similar.<P>Another strong candidate in this price range would be AMC convertibles of the same period. These cars happen to be some of the most stylish in the history of the company, easily the equivalent in appearance of the competators from the big 3. They are also overlooked by the collector market relative to the other cars. $10K could buy you the best #1 (true mint) condition '67 Rebel SST convertible in the country!<P>No matter what you decide, have fun now and after you start driving your purchase! That's the important part. smile.gif" border="0<p>[ 08-02-2002: Message edited by: Dave@Moon ]

Dave...ironic that you recommended the AMC Rebel. Stopped by the Macungie, PA show today and there was a Rebel in excellent condition. I forgot how nice the AMC line of cars was until today. Interiors are also sylish.<P>By the way, the Pagoda still stands here in Reading.<P>Regards, Peter J. wink.gif" border="0

Guest Skyking

Dave, speaking of 67 Rambler Rogue convertibles, there's a nice one on Cars-on-line now for sale for $9850. Can't go wrong with that car........

AMC's Dick Teague is my favorite designer of '60's cars. If he'd only had a real budget.... cool.gif" border="0 I still think some of his staff's more plebian designs ('64 American, '69 Ambassador, '71 Hornet SC, etc.) are among the most underappreciated styling excercises in history. Not to slight the Javelin and AMX, of course.<P>P.S. Peter, take the TR6 up Serpentine Hill for me someday. Now that I'm out here in OH, "hills" are better understood as a defunct chain of discount stores! Seriously, 100' is considered a <I>lot</I> of elevation change here! I'll be bringing my TR back to PA as often as I can after it's done just to enjoy the topography.<P>After they patch the roads. <P>Again.

I've got to agree with Dave. If your financing is limited and you want a muscle car, the AMX or Javelin is the best bang for the buck. As much as I love the lines of the '70-'72 Chevelle, and despite being an owner of several mustangs, you won't find a more economically priced car other than the AMX. The only issue is if you go to sell the car, you won't get the money out of it like you would a Chevelle, Camaro, Mustang, Firebird, Challenger, Barracuda, Road Runner, etc. The advantage to the AMX is that it is uncommon, the disadvantage, parts are more limited. The advantage to you is sooner or later it might evolve. I can remember as I kid, a lot of people wanted Model 'A's, when instead of paying a higher dollar, my father bought Chrysler products for a song. As in the restoration, parts are more expensive, and harder to find, but you have a vehicle that isn't as common. <P>Dare to be different!! sooner or later it'll come around where your "oddball" will be worth a good price. I can remember back in my youth when my father use to trade a crate of Ford stuff for two milk crates full of Mopar stuff. Food for thought!!

Guest Skyking

I think the AMC's are starting to come around. Who'd think a low mileage or nice restored Metropolitan would be bringing in 5 digit figures. My son bought a 69 Rambler SC/Rambler when everyone laughed at them. Now he pulls into a cruise and people gather around it like it just came off the line. Talk about different, the car stands out amoung the norm. cool.gif" border="0

I'll make a nostalgic run up there for you, Dave. The City has the Duryea Drive in good shape for the hill climbs. A climb will be held on August 8 and I'll let you know how it went. I could mail the newspaper coverage to you.<P>Tomorrow, the Blue Mountain Region-SCCA, is holding a British car show and road rallye at Maple Grove Dragway. I plan to attend.<P>Regards, Peter J. cool.gif" border="0

Hello, Bob.<P>There is a totally mixed bag of entrants. The Duryea Hill Climb has been an annual event as long as I can remember.<P>It is a race against the clock affair. I've seen VW Beetles, old Lotus', modern Corvettes, Camaros from the '60's, etc.<BR>There are 2 races each year. <P>What I'll do next week, is get as much info as I can from their officials and get it to you and Dave, plus post what I can on the forum.<P>Regards. Peter J. wink.gif" border="0