Greetings from a new member

Guest Rickybop

Guest Rickybop

Hello everyone. I'm new to the AACA forum, and I thought I'd use my first post to introduce myself.

My name is Rick and I live here in the "thumb" of Michigan...about 50 miles or so north of Detroit. Of course, I love the old cars...it's my only real passion. I'm old enough (56) that I can remember a time (very early '60s) when '50s, '40s and even late '30s cars were still being driven simply as older cars. I've had a passion for 'em since I was only 3 or 4 years old. Back then, my parents and my younger brothers and sisters and I lived in a big old 2-story duplex. The folks who owned the house had 3 teenaged boys, and I was influenced by their old cars...in particular, a loud late '40s Ford coupe...and others that I'd see driving by. We lived across the street from a church, and I used to love to sit on the porch steps on warm summer Sunday mornings and watch as the all the people would arrive and line the street with their beautiful cars...mostly '40s and '50s models...many of them finned late '50s cars. When we moved across town, there was a very elderly couple who lived across the street who I only saw use their car on Sunday...a perfect light gray 1937 Chevy coupe. They'd slowly walk down the sidewalk to their little wooden garage, and he'd have her wait while he swung open the big heavy garage doors with some effort, start the car and back it out. Then he'd get out and open the passenger door for her and go close the garage doors. Then he'd get in, and off they'd go almost silently down the street. I could only hear a slight whine as they took off. It was years later that I realized what I was hearing...the whine of first gear...lol. Our other neighbor... one of 2 sons of the folks who lived next door...was a gearhead and used to let me hang around. He also owned a late '40s Ford coupe. I watched one day while he heated a metal rod he had clamped in the bench-vise until it was cherry red. I was amazed when he took a pair of pliers and easily bent the rod to 90 degrees! I said, "I didn't know you could do that!!!" He just laughed...lol.

I've had a few old cars over the years. My first was when I was just a young teenager. The neighbors had a '38 Chevy 4-door for sale for $300. I asked my dad if I could buy it. He said yes, and we went to talk to the owners. I didn't have enough money saved from my paper route, but together, my younger brother and I had $237. We offered that for the car and they accepted. Yahoo! This was before I ever had my driver's license, so Dad would periodically take us out on surrounding gravel roads and let us drive a bit. Mostly though, we just cleaned and waxed it...lol.

I've had others since then...nothing fancy. Mostly projects and non-restored cars that I've serviced the mechanicals and cleaned up the best I could and drove 'em. Some of my drivers have been: '52 Chevy 2dr sedan, '51 Buick Roadmaster 2dr hardtop, '53 Buick Special 2dr hardtop, '46 Buick 4dr sedan, '46 Ford business coupe, etc. Projects have included: '53 Chevy pickup, '46 Chevy coupe, '37 Chevy coupe, body frame and other parts to build a '29 Ford roadster, etc. Never did finish any of the projects, and ended up having to sell all my cars and 25 years worth of collected parts due to a heart attack and some recent financial difficulties. So I have no old cars at the moment. But I'm hoping to get "back in the saddle" soon.

Well, I've gone on more than enough here, and won't bore you any further. Just wanted to say "hi" and say I'm happy to be here.

All the best to all you vintage car enthusiasts! - Rick

Guest Rickybop

Btw...my avatar is a picture of my father in '55 or '56...not long before I was born in '57. He's "barnstorming" atop his '32 Ford 2dr sedan and his buddy's '32 coupe that you can barely see. He and my mother used to date in that car. I think I may have ridden in it...before I was born...lol.