Value of 1940 Dodge Coupe

Clipper47

Hi, I know that this is a difficult posting to answer but I have been looking at an ad for a lovely frame off restored 1940 Dodge 5 window coupe for sale on the Belleville, Ontario kijiji classic cars for sale site. I live more than 1000 miles away from the location of the car so I can't comment on the quality or originality of the restoration but it appears in the photos to be excellent. The trunk lining is obviously incorrect and not sure about the seat fabric. Perhaps someone can comment about inaccurate restoration features if any. The price is $35000Canadian . The only price guide I can find to value the car is the NADA online guide which lists a high of $18000. I cannot find any restored 1940 Dodge coupes for sale anywhere on the internet that aren't needing restoration or are rodded. My question simply is what would be a ball park fair value for this car?

http://belleville.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-dodge-coupe-W0QQAdIdZ544150141

Edited by Clipper47 (see edit history)

That is a nice looking car.

If I was considering spending that kind of money I would think that a trip to take a look would be in order.

The few hundred bucks for a plane ticket would be insignificant compared to the price of the car and good insurance for your decision to buy or not..

Thanks for the replies. I will definitely go look at the car before purchasing in any event. I just can't find any price guide that will give me a value range beyond $18000. I think I would be willing to pay somewhat more but $35000 seems a bit rich for me as much as I like prewar Dodges. The owner has advised he is looking for $27000. Does this seem out of line for say a number 2 car if this car were fall within this category?

Just my opinion, if the car is as nice as the pictures have it too appear than I am sure the effort involved to get it too that condition exceed the 27 asking price.

It all comes down to its true condition and how badly you want the car and your plans with it in my opinion, I often pay too much for things because I want them and do not care what the current market value is, I am not the sort of person that tries to beat someone up over a price if I know that the asking price considering all involved is not totally out of line.

If you plan too buy the car only to re-sell within a few years ( I dont get that impression ) than yes the price seems high and good luck with your re-sale, if you are buying the car because you would really enjoy owning and caring for it than I would try and get him in the middle somewhere where you both feel you did OK.

I would think at that price it would be a bit of a tough sale but maybe not impossible.

How bad do you want it, you sound as if you can afford it so do what makes you happy.

Enjoy your new Dodge

BTW: I wouldnt touch a thing, I like the interior and it looks like alot of effort was made

Guest Henry White

$35K in USD would be the highest price I have ever seen for a 40 Dodge coupe. At that price everything would need to be flawless. I have seen a few nice 40 coupes at Hershey these last few years and they were around $12K but not fully restored. I have a green one ( 2 cpe ) for sale for $3K, it needs a total restoration, but I have almost any part one could imagine, ( many in triplicate, some in dozens ) which I could toss in for, asking $12K for car and all parts. Enough to mostly restore 2-3 cars with extras. A mind boggling 35+ year collection of NOS goodies from many swapmeets and dozens of dealership buy-outs.