WHAT DID I RESTORE IT FOR!!!!

Rooney3100

I have to ask everyone, because I'm sure I'm not the only one that is in this position...

My story begins with, back in the early 80's in Arizona I had a nice original Green 4 spd 1957 GMC 1/2 ton that I did a NON frame off restoration and drove the truck everywhere and had lots of fun with it, I only had around $4500.00 in the truck and sold it, what a mistake....

Moved back to Michigan, 20 years later in 2001 I wanted to get another 50's green 4spd truck, I purchased a 1956 Chevrolet 3100 from Oregon, instead of just fixing a few things and driving it around, I decided to restore it, 10 years later it is complete, thousands of dollars and NOS parts and lots of man hours later, I'm maticulus and so was my painter, We took it the extra mile in restoring it, I have not even washed it yet......

I just want to get everyone's opinion on when you get all this time into a vehicle which way does one enjoy it?

Right now it's in a Newly Built Garage with with all kinds of Old Car Memorabilia, it looks like it fits real well and looks GREAT, kinda like I put together a BIG MODEL....It's virtualy NEW...

I thought I would ask everyone's OPINIONS that have experienced this in the past that have done Nice Restorations....WHAT TO DO????........Thanks SM

P9180708_zps1072e471.jpg

You have a few of options. #1- drive it. #2- show it. #3- sell it and purchase something you can drive and enjoy. If you are worried about a scratch or dirt or getting in a wreck, you need to do what you will enjoy the most and what suits your needs. Chances are you will not recoup the money you have spent, so I say drive it and enjoy it.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

You will get a wide variety of opinions since there is no one answer that is right! It comes down to what you want to do with the truck (it looks great!). Some are going to tell you to start driving it and enjoying what a vehicle was designed for..surely a good answer. Others will tell you if you enjoy seeing it as a "museum" piece go right ahead as it is your car and you paid the $$ do it is your right to do what you want.

The important piece is you have brought back to life a great example of a 50's truck. We are restoring a 55 Chevrolet Bookmobile to the same condition but we will be driving it and using it. That was our purpose from the beginning.

I expect you will get some very strong opinions on your question! :)

You have a few of options. #1- drive it. #2- show it. #3- sell it and purchase something you can drive and enjoy.

Or, to follow the route of a couple of people I know, #1 Show it to get your trophies, including your AACA senior. Then #2 drive it until it needs restoration again.

Guest Skyking

They are no fun unless you drive them. I know of people that have nice cars sitting in their garages while the owners are getting old. Why let someone else enjoy them??

I know that 90% of the opinion on the forum will be weighted towards driving the truck in to the ground. It is kind of a badge of honor with many car guys. I'll go the other way and say that if it makes you happy every time you walk in the garage and see it there shiny with out a single blemish - leave it there. If you really want to drive something, get another similar truck that is not as nice.

There are many that feel if you aren't driving your car you are somehow wasting your time owning it. It is basically a form of snobbery.

What a beautiful job on that truck. It deserves to be driven on fine summer days so that the owner has that enjoyment but also so other people can get to see such a nice truck. Imagine that would bring a smile to a lot of old-timers faces but you may even inspire some young people to think about restoring something that means so much to them too. Don't forget all the pleasure that the truck brought you during the restoration process. Now it is giving back to other people.... :)

This is just my opinion but: One can enjoy the car/truck very much without driving it. I switch off my

cars in my "Man Cave" and enjoy looking/tinkering with them. Lot of people do not realize that there is

a lot of time/effort/money that goes into restoring a old vehicle. It only takes one mistake or event and all that

effort is gone. I restored my vehicles to suit me not others. Larry

Guest marlin65

Drive it on nice days,enjoy all the comments it will bring and get the same make/model etc to drive on not so nice days. Ed in Fla owner of 3 Corvairs.

I had a Model A pickup that took me 10 years to restore. It was nicer than most but not perfect and I had a lot of money invested. I drove that thing every chance I got letting other folks drive it too and I even hauled things in it (with protection)! Many folks asked if I was afraid to drive it for fear of damage but that's what I built it for...to have fum with. Naturally, you'll want to do your best to take care of it when you do use it and drive carefully but really what good is it if you can have fun with it. There will be some added maintenance but it will probably deteriorate faster if it just sits around for a long time. Enjoy it and let others enjoy it with you! Remember,it's just a machine!

I have a 1939 Chevy 1/2 ton. Like yours a body off restoration. What works for me is I use it as my breakfast truck to drive to the diner every AM but only in nice weather. In about 12 years I put 5000ish miles on it. A few years ago, as a lark, I spent a week detailing it and correcting all the little things and took it to an AACA regional show. To my amazement it got a junior and the next year it's senior. It still looks almost new but it never sees rain or even a wet road and gets a twice yearly wash job and detailing including a ride on my lift to clean the underside.

So there is a way to enjoy your truck without turning it into a used car. At least it works for me..............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Guest Skyking
I know that 90% of the opinion on the forum will be weighted towards driving the truck in to the ground.

I tend to disagree with that statement. You can drive it, show it, enjoy it and not drive it into the ground. I don't believe 90% of the people here do this.

It boils down to just a couple of questions.

When you get older, you'll look back and fondly remember all the good times. Are good times to you staring at the truck in the garage, or driving it and meeting people on the road?

If you decide to leave it in the garage, and just have "pride of ownership", who are you saving it for?

Beautiful truck, well done. Now, as you say, you have to decide how best to enjoy it.

If you decide to leave it in the garage, and just have "pride of ownership", who are you saving it for?

I know I'm alone on this but you can enjoy having your cars without having to constantly drive them. There is more to it than "pride of ownership". There are many aspects to the having a collectible car. You can drive them for ice cream, or breakfast. You can use them in your wedding, or your kids wedding. You can let your kid take them to his prom. You can drive them to a show. You can trailer them to a show. You can tinker with them. You can restore them. You can show them to other people that will appreciate them. You can buy them, you can sell them. Sometimes, you can just admire them as art work (assuming they are pre-73).

Perhaps the original poster can get as much joy from maintaining the truck as he restored it, admire it and show it.

Rooney3100: As you can see there is a lot of different opinions. Don't know much on your perticular model and don't know how deep

your restoration went. My cars/trucks are all "number matching" including engines/windshieds/ and etc. Some parts can not be duplicated.

I suspect most people that have responded do not have "number matching" original type cars. They can drive these cars with only time and generic parts at risk. Some original parts are getting near impossible to find or require enormous abouts of $$. Larry

I have a matching numbers (everything) 1960 Corvette. I drive it and run it up through the gears the way it was meant to be run. With the duntov cam and Fuel Injection it needs to be run above 3,000 just to run right or it will fowl the plugs. It's a no hit body as well. Fortunately it has a 30 year old paint job that is very respectable but not perfect. Yes I am concerned that if it gets hit or I lunch the motor (I'm not that Hard on it but things can happen) that I will ruin the value but as much as it's great to look at in the Garage it's more fun to run it the way it should be run. Of course if all I wanted to do was look at it I would have bought a 230 Powerglide car. What good is the four speed if you aren't shifting it. What good is the fuel injection if you aren't going to get on it and feel the acceleration. Yes it looks great in the garage but I think the view is even a little better looking at the instrument cluster with all the curves and Chrome inside from the Driver's seat as the wind blows through my ever thinning hair. You can't beat the sound of the pipes either. It's even better than the radio.

Enjoy it, treat it well, Be Cautious when you can, Stay out of the dirt/Mud/ rain. That's too hard to clean off. Keep it garaged and exercise it a little. You'll have alot better memories as others have stated than as part of a diorama in your mancave.

It'll be worth more if you ever sell it if it's turn key than as needing to be gone through.

With today's technology almost everything can be replaced or made from scratch. It's just how much do you want to spend to do it.

Guest billybird

Everyone gets enjoyment in different ways. Me; I like to see how spotless I can keep mine. Thats my enjoyment. I also love showing at National meets, cruise ins and just a very few local shows. I don't get mine out if I think it's going to rain. To some, my way would be considered boring; but it's how I enjoy MY vehicles. Diversity is what makes the world so interesting. So my opinion is; ever how you feel YOU would enjoy it most then do that. I've never apologized for trailering my vehicles or not getting them out in the rain etc. It's how I enjoy them. If you were to enjoy running it off into the river, hey, it's yours because whatever you do is not going to cost anyone on this forum a dime. Bottom line: whatever you decide will be right it it brings you enjoyment.

Guest Scott Roberts

The truck looks fantastic! Here is a thought for you. Get another truck of the same year and customize it, chopped top , lowerd modern suspension, and trailer the custom truck to shows behind the restored one and show both!!! Just a thought.

Rooney3100: As you can see there is a lot of different opinions. Don't know much on your perticular model and don't know how deep

your restoration went. My cars/trucks are all "number matching" including engines/windshieds/ and etc. Some parts can not be duplicated.

I suspect most people that have responded do not have "number matching" original type cars. They can drive these cars with only time and generic parts at risk. Some original parts are getting near impossible to find or require enormous abouts of $$. Larry

What a lot of different comments, Thanks everyone, Larry, My truck is Numbers matching and I did go the extra mile with alot of NOS parts, correct numbers on my parts, original paint colors and even date coded the glass thru LOF, I had a 67 Chevy truck I used as a driver up until last fall, and decided to sell it because of having to cover it up outside every winter, It was fun to drive and did get alot of attention which I miss, I used the money to build another garage for this truck, but this truck is different, I know that once it goes down the road (WILL IT BE THE SAME), I would like to get to a AACA event to get it judged, but I will have to get an enclosed trailer in a couple of years once my 2011 Silverado is paid for, I'm a lilltle leary about hauling it to shows, that will be another topic, I know for sure this truck would turn some heads any where it goes, I spent alot of money finding correct parts back in 2001 on e-bay when they were more plentiful and priced better, there is 850 hours in the body work alone and that not including my time putting the truck together.....I appreciate any and all comments, maybe this will make up my mind in the near future with WHAT TO DO WITH MY TRUCK.....I know that letting them sit it isn't good either, I do run it when I can and I did put silicone break fluid for storage, also stabilizer in the anti freeze, since completion 3 years ago, it still looks just the way it did by keeping it under wraps in a heated garage......STEVE M

DSCN0936_zpsd7474014.jpg

Edited by Rooney3100 (see edit history)

Everyone gets enjoyment in different ways. Me; I like to see how spotless I can keep mine. Thats my enjoyment. I also love showing at National meets, cruise ins and just a very few local shows. I don't get mine out if I think it's going to rain. To some, my way would be considered boring; but it's how I enjoy MY vehicles. Diversity is what makes the world so interesting. So my opinion is; ever how you feel YOU would enjoy it most then do that. I've never apologized for trailering my vehicles or not getting them out in the rain etc. It's how I enjoy them. If you were to enjoy running it off into the river, hey, it's yours because whatever you do is not going to cost anyone on this forum a dime. Bottom line: whatever you decide will be right it it brings you enjoyment.

Billybird, I completely understand what you mean when you like to keep it spotless, this truck is basically New again, I know I don't want to leave it for someone else to enjoy, I've allway's told myself when I retire in 7 years, I should jut get in the truck and go out to the west coast and back, have fun then park it back in the garage and say that was one Hell of an adventure, (NOT SURE WHAT THE TRUCK WOULD LOOK LIKE?) But if It breaks down and I need it serviced, know one would Know how to work on it, that would be interesting.....:)

I know I'm alone on this but you can enjoy having your cars without having to constantly drive them.

Well, not quite alone. I agree, and thats coming from someone who has zero interest (and even a bit of hostility) towards the competitive cosmetic competition of point judging. There are as many ways to enjoy your old car or truck as there are people who like old cars and trucks. I also agree that the "if you don't drive it you should collect clocks" attitude is a form of snobbery, as if to say "my opinion is the only one that counts", though I doubt very much it was intended that way. I'm enjoying working on my 1910 Mitchell and will continue to, even if I never manage to get it out of my shop, though if I live long enough to finish it, I will be driving it!

I sure understand your dilemma, as that's a beautiful truck. I, personally, get very itchy in the winter when I can't drive any of mine...it would become overwhelming for me NOT to drive that thing. I'm glad I'm more of a #3-#4 condition kind of guy so I don't have to worry about it! :)

What a lot of different comments, Thanks everyone, Larry, My truck is Numbers matching and I did go the extra mile with alot of NOS parts, correct numbers on my parts, original paint colors and even date coded the glass thru LOF, I had a 67 Chevy truck I used as a driver up until last fall, and decided to sell it because of having to cover it up outside every winter, It was fun to drive and did get alot of attention which I miss, I used the money to build another garage for this truck, but this truck is different, I know that once it goes down the road (WILL IT BE THE SAME), I would like to get to a AACA event to get it judged, but I will have to get an enclosed trailer in a couple of years once my 2011 Silverado is paid for, I'm a lilltle leary about hauling it to shows, that will be another topic, I know for sure this truck would turn some heads any where it goes, I spent alot of money finding correct parts back in 2001 on e-bay when they were more plentiful and priced better, there is 850 hours in the body work alone and that not including my time putting the truck together.....I appreciate any and all comments, maybe this will make up my mind in the near future with WHAT TO DO WITH MY TRUCK.....I know that letting them sit it isn't good either, I do run it when I can and I did put silicone break fluid for storage, also stabilizer in the anti freeze, since completion 3 years ago, it still looks just the way it did by keeping it under wraps in a heated garage......STEVE M

Steve M: Sounds like we come from the same mold. We try to go the extra mile when we restore a vehicle. The only issue is that when you restore a car/truck

to that degree it becomes more then just a car/truck. It becomes an investment and driving them is a very risky venture. It is nice though to get them certified

from one of the organizations. If you can get a newer reliable tow vehicle and a good "spec. out" trailer I would not be leary. But then again there is always risk

involved when your vehicle is moved. I for one will not tow my vehicles very far; try to limit it to 150 Miles one way. Seems like you are storing your nice truck

very well. The one thing I would suggest (maybe your doing it now) is to use 100LL Av Gas. It never sours and it has some lead in it to protect the valves. I would

never use the current pump gas for any length of time. I have used Av Gas for years with great results. Go to the NCRS discussion board as this has been discussed in great depth. BTW does you nice truck have the original V8 or 6 cyl.? Good Luck in the future--Larry

Guest marlin65

Rooney,log on to Stovebolt.com and look around. These people love Chevy and GMC trucks and will most likely talk you out of selling your truck or maybe talk you into selling it! Ed in Fla currently restoring a 62 Corvair Bell telephone truck.

Steve M: Sounds like we come from the same mold. We try to go the extra mile when we restore a vehicle. The only issue is that when you restore a car/truck

to that degree it becomes more then just a car/truck. It becomes an investment and driving them is a very risky venture. It is nice though to get them certified

from one of the organizations. If you can get a newer reliable tow vehicle and a good "spec. out" trailer I would not be leary. But then again there is always risk

involved when your vehicle is moved. I for one will not tow my vehicles very far; try to limit it to 150 Miles one way. Seems like you are storing your nice truck

very well. The one thing I would suggest (maybe your doing it now) is to use 100LL Av Gas. It never sours and it has some lead in it to protect the valves. I would

never use the current pump gas for any length of time. I have used Av Gas for years with great results. Go to the NCRS discussion board as this has been discussed in great depth. BTW does you nice truck have the original V8 or 6 cyl.? Good Luck in the future--Larry

Hi Larry, I did go last week an purchased 5 Gals of Ethonal Free Gas 90% octane fuel from our BP Gas Station for my truck, I'm putting that in this weekend, I'm also going to use it in my Rupp Snowmobiles I've collected, also my truck has the original 235 6 cyl. motor, when I had the motor rebuilt it had Harden Valves installed, also when I had the rear end gone thru I had a 3:38 ratio installed instead of the 3:90 ratio it had, I drove the truck for about 2 weeks before it was taken apart, it sure screamed RPM's at 50 mph, that is one thing that's not original to the truck, If I do drive the truck someday it would be easier on the motor for sure.....Otherwise the drive train is completely original down to the date coded spiral shocks, the one thing I got to say is I took the Old Smell out of the inside of the truck, my 67 chevy had that, I sure miss that........STEVE M

DSC04510_zps25580b04.jpg

Edited by Rooney3100 (see edit history)

Rooney,log on to Stovebolt.com and look around. These people love Chevy and GMC trucks and will most likely talk you out of selling your truck or maybe talk you into selling it! Ed in Fla currently restoring a 62 Corvair Bell telephone truck.

Hi Ed, I have my truck on the stovebolt pages Gallery....STEVE

Steve,

Congratulations!

You have done a fantastic job on your truck - I recall our discussion when it came to a decision on replacing new tires with new correct-size tires, and Larry was the gentleman who would have transported them to me.

Nobody else can tell you what is the best choice for you -- I know because I had the same concerns with our 1934 Buick http://forums.aaca.org/f115/should-i-keep-sell-my-1934-a-355175.html

Whatever you decide, you have had the pleasure and satisfaction of recreating a masterpiece. If you drive it, or trailer it to sows where others can appreciate it, or if you pass it along to someone else who may do the same thing, or if you keep it in your new garage and simply get to grin at how beautiful it is - this is simply your choice. My suggestion would be to use an enclosed trailer and take it to AACA Meets where it would get the recognition you expect. This would document your efforts, and would give the rest of us the opportunity to appreciate your efforts.

PS: despite all the comments, I still haven't decided to keep or sell my 1934 Buick.

post-54863-143142275232_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142275242_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142275251_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142275261_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142275271_thumb.jpg

post-54863-14314227528_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142275289_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142275299_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142275309_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143142275319_thumb.jpg

Hi Larry, I did go last week an purchased 5 Gals of Ethonal Free Gas 90% octane fuel from our BP Gas Station for my truck, I'm putting that in this weekend, I'm also going to use it in my Rupp Snowmobiles I've collected, also my truck has the original 235 6 cyl. motor, when I had the motor rebuilt it had Harden Valves installed, also when I had the rear end gone thru I had a 3:38 ratio installed instead of the 3:90 ratio it had, I drove the truck for about 2 weeks before it was taken apart, it sure screamed RPM's at 50 mph, that is one thing that's not original to the truck, If I do drive the truck someday it would be easier on the motor for sure.....Otherwise the drive train is completely original down to the date coded spiral shocks, the one thing I got to say is I took the Old Smell out of the inside of the truck, my 67 chevy had that, I sure miss that........STEVE M

Steve M: Well looks like you answered your own question. Maybe nice trailer is in your future; then you can get it certified. Still think you should get some

100LL Av Gas as it will last a long long time w/o spoiling and your engine will like it very much. As long as we are showing Chevy P/U trucks I have enclosed

a picture of mine. 100% original and the stripes can not be bought anywhere; that's why it can not be driven very far. Larry

post-94010-143142275328_thumb.jpg

Steve M: Well looks like you answered your own question. Maybe nice trailer is in your future; then you can get it certified. Still think you should get some

100LL Av Gas as it will last a long long time w/o spoiling and your engine will like it very much. As long as we are showing Chevy P/U trucks I have enclosed

a picture of mine. 100% original and the stripes can not be bought anywhere; that's why it can not be driven very far. Larry

Larry, were can I buy the type of gas your are talking about? would I have to thoroughly have to clean all the original gas out of the system?

Also your truck looks real nice, I have not seen one with that design...STEVE

Steve,

You can buy the AV-GAS at your local airport. I do not think you need to drain the system - it is OK to mix the current No-Ethanol with the Av-Gas in my opinion.

Considering how cold it gets in your part of the country, you should keep the tank FULL to minimize any condensation of water. The air in your partially full tank will allow the condensation of moisture from the air into the tank, resulting in water in the gas. Anybody in areas where it gets cold should know to keep gas tanks full to minimize condensation. Even though it seldom gets cold here in New Orleans, I still remember how it was when we lived in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, and I travelled throughout Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Ohio, and Iowa. I remember when folks would deal with gas-line-freeze, and had to add de-icer to their fuel. This was only necessary because there was water in the tank because of condensation --- keep the tank full and it won't happen.

Love the truck!

Larry, were can I buy the type of gas your are talking about? would I have to thoroughly have to clean all the original gas out of the system?

Also your truck looks real nice, I have not seen one with that design...STEVE

Steve: Any local airport should have it. All small planes use it. Best of all worlds--Has the octane-low lead-and won't

sour. It will have to be bought in Containers (due to road use tax). They can not fill a car. I use 5 Gal cans. I lot

of antique car owners, go carts, and race cars use it. They (airport) is very happy to sell it to us. No you will not have

to do anything with your system; it will blend in then become pure as you use it. It is expensive but it is the only way

to go. BTW; my truck has an original LS9 350 which was the last engine Chevy made that used regular gas as it has

the H/D emissions engine. The next year (78) all used no-lead with cat. converters on them.FYI Larry

Steve,

You can buy the AV-GAS at your local airport. I do not think you need to drain the system - it is OK to mix the current No-Ethanol with the Av-Gas in my opinion.

Considering how cold it gets in your part of the country, you should keep the tank FULL to minimize any condensation of water. The air in your partially full tank will allow the condensation of moisture from the air into the tank, resulting in water in the gas. Anybody in areas where it gets cold should know to keep gas tanks full to minimize condensation. Even though it seldom gets cold here in New Orleans, I still remember how it was when we lived in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, and I travelled throughout Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Ohio, and Iowa. I remember when folks would deal with gas-line-freeze, and had to add de-icer to their fuel. This was only necessary because there was water in the tank because of condensation --- keep the tank full and it won't happen.

Love the truck!

Hi Marty, I had my tank sealed on the inside when I restored it, Thanks for the info....STEVE

This is a fascinating thread. I've read a lot of thoughtful opinions, and haven't read a "wrong" one yet. Some posters don't do what I would do, but they do what THEY would do, and that's just fine.

One thing I haven't read yet, so I have an excuse to pipe up. This hobby is as much about people as about cars. You will meet a lot of car people at car shows, and some will become friends. You will meet a lot of car people on car tours - usually different people, because their emphasis is on a different aspect of the hobby - and some of them will become friends, too. You will have many brief encounters with people who aren't car people - those who come to shows to ooh and ahh, those who ask you questions at red lights or Dairy Queen parking lots, those who give you a honk and a thumbs-up when they pass you on the road. You are already meeting people, and making friends, electronically through this forum. Unless you're a hermit - and you don't sound like a hermit! - these personal relationships will enhance your enjoyment of your beautiful truck more than just polishing it, or just driving it, or just collecting trophies with it. Some of these people will become like family. But picking the kinds of things you do with your truck will help you pick the kinds of family members you want.

Best wishes for many years of pleasure from your fine restoration!

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Well, that's the beauty of a forum, where everyone can express their opinion, and in many cases there's no right or wrong, just thoughts of how one would handle the situation....

I'm curious, what does the bed of your truck look like? I recently heard a story about a fellow who restored a similar truck, using varnished natural wood boards, and was told at judging that they were incorrect and that's not how the truck came from the factory....although you see that treatment on about 99% of restored trucks which have wooden board beds!

Under hood shot is beautiful...nice detailing is an understatement....

Rooney3100: One thing we did not discuss was brake fluid. All my old Bowties where converted to DOT#5 (Silicon) Brake Fliud.This

is the only way to preserve the braking systems for stored cars. Have you done so?? I like your truck is reminds me of my friends

which I have pictures enclosed. His has the original 265 C/I SBC!! Larry

post-94010-143142276761_thumb.jpg

post-94010-143142276789_thumb.jpg