Is everyone in hiding?

Barney Eaton

The activity here has crawled to a stop. Doesn't anyone have a Reatta problem? Reatta story? Some pictures?

I think I will uncover the black 1991 coupe and take it to a car show today. Weather people could not make up their minds on the temp and some said rain.... sun is shining, now no rain until maybe Sunday. There was frost on the yard this a.m. and they are saying 80 on Saturday.

The picture is just a test,post-30596-143142272957_thumb.jpg For some reason Thunderbird email locks when I try to attach a picture or document.... anyone know anything about Thunderbird? My new computer seems to have continuing problems. First my Canon scanner will not work because Canon does not have software for it and windows 8.

To scan a document or photo, I use the wifes printer/scanner, download to a thumbdrive and transfer to my machine. Last time the scan was in Adobe and I can not figure out how to convert a pdf to jpg..... any suggestion there?

Definitely a quiet period on the forum. Been busy with several maintenance projects on the Reatta.

I installed the replacement intermediate parking brake cable that I got from Jim Finn. Easy installation and fixed the problem. On removal of the old cable I was able to determine that the cable corroded and broke exactly at the point where the plastic cable coating ended inside the larger protective sleeve (looked like water had collected at that point). I put a lot of heavy silicone grease into the area where I suspect water was entering. I still intend to investigate having an A&P make a new cable.

Installed salvaged door jamb switches (from Jim F once again) as the boots on mine had failed and the driver's side switch was a bit wonky. The salvaged unit's protective boots were in need of some TLC but after a thorough scrubbing to remove all the old dirt and working liquid silicone into them while carefully stretching them, I eventually got them back to their original pliable extended condition, properly seated and sealing the switches from the indignities of the door jam area. I coated them with a heavier silicone grease inside and out before putting them back on the switches. They should be good to go for many years and I intend to be more diligent at cleaning and lubing the boots going forward.

Recently I pulled the drivers door apart to lube the window track and door latch mechanism. The door latch mechanism was SO gummed up that the PDL would not operate it and opening with a key or the interior slider seemed to be a disaster in the making, due to the force required. I decided to pull the entire mechanism out so that I could really clean it and relube with white lithium. Getting it out was a challenge, but reinstalling it was a nightmare due to the way GM designed the door handle pushrod. I finally figure out that I could insert the door handle pushrod into its slot in the handle (nothing to hold it there except the latch mechanism). I then wrapped the lower end of the pushrod with a length of fine wire that extended out thru the top of the door to hold it in place temporarily. This allowed me to insert the latch mechanism and then snap both the handle pushrod and the keylock pushrod into their respective locations on the latch mechanism. Works like new, but it took me the better part of a day to accomplish. I now have to do the same on the passenger side as well as replace the window lift motor (only opens about an inch or so). After doing the drivers door, I anticipate the passengers side will go a bit smoother.

Finally got around to returning the IPC turn indicator/chime functionality after I did the LED swap out of all the rear taillight bulbs. I had originally considered using resistors to trick the module into thinking all was well, but I really did not like that option. Studying the FSM schematics put me on a different path. I realized that the IPC turn indicator/chime module simply needed a cycling 0-12v swing (0volt=no IPC indicator, 12V=IPC indicator ON&one chime). As the 88/89 turn/hazard module is all electronic it flashes the front and rear bulbs at a constant rate regardless of burned out bulbs (i.e. potential source of a cycling 0-12v signal). The rear outputs would not work due to the stop light mode (i.e. stop/turn are same). The front turn bulb outputs at first glance looked to be an obvious source of the cycling 0-12v signal. The FSM schematic and testing turned up an oddity. The front bulb output does NOT directly connect to the front turn bulb, but rather to a relay and the front bulb output at rest (i.e. NO turn signal) was at 12v not zero (this makes the front and rear bulbs flash out of sync to lower total amperage). The relay (located in engine compartment fuse/relay center) was controlled by the front cornering light output. So I wound up adding a couple (1each, left turn/right turn) SPST, reed relays with the coils connected to the front cornering light outputs/ground and with the contacts attached to the front turn light output and the IPC turn indicator/chime wire (relocated from their factory location). Basically, I just duplicated how GM did the front turn bulbs but using small silent reed relays as there is NO real amperage involved. I now have the IPC turn indicator/chime functional, once again. Granted I no longer have any interior indication of burned out bulbs, but that functionality was history once I swapped out the 2057 rear bulbs for LEDs, so no real loss.

Slowly crossing things off the gremlin list...

David T

Edited by drtidmore (see edit history)

Guest Mc_Reatta
I still intend to investigate having an A&P make a new cable.

Might also consider going to a bicycle and or a motorcycle repair shop to hunt for replacement cable options.

Guest Mc_Reatta
The activity here has crawled to a stop.

First time I can remember that there were no posts for more than 24 hrs.

For some reason Thunderbird email locks when I try to attach a picture or document.... anyone know anything about Thunderbird?

Sorry, can't help with Thunderbird.

First my Canon scanner will not work because Canon does not have software for it and windows 8.

Three choices, wait and hope Canon comes out with a Windows 8 driver, buy a new Windows 8 compatible scanner, or if your like me with a scanner that wasn't supported since Windows XP was used, consider using program called VueScan to allow you to use it. Think it's free to try, but requires purchase.

http://www.hamrick.com/#download

Last time the scan was in Adobe and I can not figure out how to convert a pdf to jpg..... any suggestion there?

Either in the scanner software default options, or as you perform the scan to file function, it should allow you to select the format you want the file saved in where you specify the name for the new scan file. Just select the one you want before hitting save.

It's been quiet in all the forums, not just the Buicks... even the renegades at the Speedster forum where I often hang out seem to have gone into hibernation. Depending on the age of your scanner, you may have a problem. I have an older HP scanner that works very well, but is not compatible with this computer (Windows 7) so I kept my old XP just for scanning (although my newer printer also has scanning capability, I just don't like it as well). My computer guru that builds my machines for me warned me that there may not be another solution, and in the 3 years I've had this machine, nobody has come up with a solution. As long as they can sell you a new scanner for every 2 computer programs, there doesn't seem to be much incentive for them to solve our issues. Good luck, maybe Canon will be more cooperative than HP.

Same here, just plain busy.

Had a great time at the SEMA show last week and even came out ahead playing Texas Holdem in LV.

Barney gets to take his cars out to shows but I am trying to get mine put away for the winter. Today I will be taking pictures of a '49 Olds coupe I have had since 1974 and want to sell it.

The weather will be nice today so I probably will take out my good '49 Olds coupe.

I use Thunderbird and Ubuntu and have no problems.

post-30613-143142274262_thumb.jpg

Guest wally888

Wonder how many like me lurk in the background?

I read the Forum each day but have little to say as I no longer own a reatta.

Could tell everyone about my dog, if I had one !

Been busy putting away the Eldorado and the Riviera for what is rumored to be a long New England winter this year. Been installing rear calipers/brakes and flushing the brake fluid on the Reatta. Will be setting 'er up for winter this weekend or early next week. Busy, busy, busy, happy, happy, happy but try to "lurk" daily at least.

Just busy with my day job - was in all-day classes 25 miles away through the middle of Orlando most of the week. Must admit I am thinking about a Chrysler Crossfire but do not fit in convertible, need to try a coupe. Seem to be quite a few with 3.2 V6 (I like sixes) and 6 speed manual (but close and stump puller ratios). Not sure yet. 'vert and heep are my daily drivers.

I've been busy welcoming my new Grandson, Nathan Gregory just 3 weeks ago. It is a great honor having someone named after you. Now we have one of each.

Next Reatta project is to install the new struts and bushings I have acquired. I am probably going to undertake this on next Wednesday afternoon depending upon when I can arrange the alignment shop. My vert rides like it was on the rims only on a gravel road. I remember the night and day difference when I did this on my first Reatta. I am hoping for similar results. The main difference will be that I am supplying the labor this time.

Guest crazytrain2

Not a Reatta but 89 Buick 3.8L VIN C story - With the temperature dropping I noticed heater wasn't working, radiator was low - cause was water pump weeping fluid. I swear these engines must be indestructable because it never overheated nor had did it. I'm not exactly sure when it had weeped out but it sure wasn't leaving fluid for some time. Not proud of the fact I hadn't caught it sooner just still amazed by the durability oh these engines. Even with 200K+ miles! Oh and yes replaced water pump and "Ol Betsy" is happy as a clam again :)