1939 Buick Special Model 41 4-door sedan

Guest MidnightBlue

Guest MidnightBlue

post-97592-143142281705_thumb.jpg1939 Buick Special Series 41 -- original, not restored. It has been in storage for years & will need work. But it was driven out of the garage recently. Serial #13557778, Engine #43741887. Original, not restored. 1 exception: inside front door panels.

Have original bill of sale dated May16, 1939, Kingfisher Truck and Auto Market, Kingfisher, OK.So have serial number & engine number.Has radio, turn signals.Low mileage. Have original tools, Buick owner service policy & other paperwork. Also a “1939 Buick Owner’s Guide” including the separate chassis lubrication chart, both in very good condition. Also received in 1966 from the Buick Co., “some sections from our 1939 Service Manual” pertaining to the interior.

History: original owner supposedly used vehicle on weekends, his main vehicle being a truck. When he passed away, his family sold the car to a local dealer, who in turn sold it to my Grandfather, residing in northwest KS. He gave me the car.The story goes, that the mileage was so low when the dealer received it, that he didn’t think it would be believed, & turned the odometer higher to sell it. Current reading: 51,663.

It was housed in a barn (?) during the Oklahoma years, and a couple garages while in Kansas -- both very hot, dry areas, thus the steering wheel is cracked & there is other evidence of dry heat storage. Since about 1980 it’s been garaged in suburban Chicago. We have just driven it out of the garage recently, so it can be viewed & in preparation to sell.It is titled and insured in Illinois.

Color is midnight blue, which is actually a very light blue. Buick Co. was contacted & confirmed the color as original. The rear window had a Roosevelt sticker, but my g-father, not a fan, removed it, but the imprint can still be seen. Front driver’s side window cracked. Front passenger wing window, slight crack. There are some paint chips in side door. Inside front door panels covered with red material (not sure what is underneath).

Asking $4444. It is being sold as is. You will need to arrange transportation.

Let me know if you need more information & I’ll do my best to answer.

post-97592-1431422728_thumb.jpg

post-97592-143142272803_thumb.jpg

post-97592-143142272806_thumb.jpg

post-97592-143142272808_thumb.jpg

post-97592-143142272811_thumb.jpg

post-97592-143142272814_thumb.jpg

post-97592-143142281693_thumb.jpg

post-97592-143142281699_thumb.jpg

post-97592-143142281702_thumb.jpg

Edited by MidnightBlue (see edit history)

Wow!!! Love that color. So did I understand you to say that you drove it out of the garage? So it is a running, driving and stopping car. Can you post pics of the front seats without the covers. Is that the original carpet in the back? And where is the car now, Chicago? Thanks for choosing to post this unmolested original classic on the forum.

Guest MidnightBlue

Thanks for asking. Yes, we did drive it out of the garage. Was slow to start & braking wasn't great at first, but it did work. It has been stored for years & will need work to be road worthy. Gaskets, wiring, brakes, etc. are all old & dry.

All upholstery & carpeting is original. Hand-hold loops in rear, above windows & on back of front seat are in good condition. Car is located about 1 hour west of Chicago, off I-88. Will try to add some additional pictures.

Additionally, it has the (optional) rear turn signals, which are incorporated into the Buick logo on the trunk. It does have the radio. I haven't tried it recently, but it did work & had great reception. Hubcaps are original, with "Buick" on them. Windows roll up & down (tried them today).

Guest MidnightBlue

Am having difficulty uploading new pictures. Will try & post asap. Thought maybe there's a 7 photo limit, so removed the old front seat (with cover) picture & have tried to upload a new one, without covers. Perhaps they need to be reviewed before they show up.

Guest MidnightBlue

Am having difficulty uploading more photos. Have sent some via direct emails to other interested parties. Have not yet taken a pix of your request, but will do so & would be happy to email it to you if you would like. (Bad weather in Chicago area, & power issues, so may not be on computer for awhile.) And also, am not sure where to plate is located, so will have to look for it. I did a search on the web, so I think I know for what I am looking.

In the meantime, I have 6 other photos, mostly close ups of the interior upholstery, that I can send you, if you would like. With the exception of 3 places in the front bench seat, the fabric & carpeting is very good.

Thanks for your interest.

Guest MidnightBlue

With the weather in our area, Buick is back in the garage. In fact, it started & drove easily, twice, as we drove it out to take more requested pictures, & then drove it back in the garage.

Guest MidnightBlue

Thank you for helping post these pictures for me.

Have requests for some more photos -- sides & fenders, so will try to post those later today.

Thanks again.

Bob

Please, consider the car sold !! I am in Canada and will arrange transportation.

Where are you located? - we can meet and finalise the sale ... ?

Congratulations (if you do buy the car) :) :cool:

From post 3 "Car is located about 1 hour west of Chicago, off I-88"

So now you can become a '39 team member as per the link in my signature

I owe everyone on this thread (especially MidnightBlue) an unconditional apology !!! Demon rum, coupled with my love (unrealistic love of old cars) resulted in my speaking out without thought. I am truly sorry if I created a "situation". 'twill not happen again - I have too much respect for the folks here ...

Bob

Guest MidnightBlue

Just took them off for pictures for an interested party. They are back on now. They come off easily, just a couple screws. Car looks just as shown in earlier photos.

As I'm new to "thread" discussions, the pictures posted for requests are throughout the discussion. Sorry for the disorganization. BTW, have had requests through private messages too, but thought if one person is interested, perhaps others are, so have posted pictures publicly.

What happened to the headlight rings, they are in earlier pictures ?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MidnightBlue

The Buick has found a new home, in Nebraska. Last Wednesday, Dec. 11th it left Illinois & made the trip. The new owner is Mike B.post-97592-143142319211_thumb.jpg

It has been a pleasure corresponding with all of you out there in Antique car & Buick world.

Jana

post-97592-143142319207_thumb.jpg