Rare restoration project

R.White

My guess is that the car would have started off as an imported chassis with a local coach built body. At some time in the past the back would have been modified for utilitarian purposes.

Obviously, the camera angles have been chosen to disguise the worst of the work required which is rather dishonest and I agree; at that price it will hang about. The cost of reinstating the bodywork will mean that this one will probably get turned into a "special".

Someone probably thinks they have got a gold mine - they will be digging for quite some time!

Ray.

• 2 weeks later...

The Netherlands, for some reason, seems to be the place to go if you want to make the most money from your vintage car. I have seen cars there fetching double what they would in the U.K. Personally, I am simply not interested. This is my hobby; if I was just looking for an investment opportunity it might be different but I have seen too many lovingly restored cars get into the hands of indifferent investors. These individuals come and go. As soon as the market turns down again they will disappear as quickly as morning dew.

Ray.