Chrome or not to chrome, that is the question??

Laughing Coyote

Hello All,

As I begin cleaning and polishing the chrome parts I noticed some pitting and some hairline cracking in the chrome. It doesn't look bad at all. Shines up nice. What I was wanting to know is should I go the extra exspense and rechome parts or just leave as is? Are most cars that go into shows like Hershey and other shows have new chrome or is it just cleaned up? I will drive the car around town to events and Sunday drives. The rest of the car will be redone with new parts and paint.

Thanks

Most judged cars at AACA shows have re-chromed parts, most of it "show chrome". It is extremely expensive and doing it for your car would far exceed it's value . If you are using your Merc for driving pleasure and local events you would be best off cleaning it up as best you can and simply enjoying it. If money is no object have at it....................Bob

I try to use the buy someone else's rechromed parts from an abandoned project technique, Good NOS or good takeoff parts from dry western Climates before sending parts off for replating. That's far cheaper than rechroming and you aren't out the parts which may get lost at the platers. I've found NOS and nice takeoff for 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of replating parts. Sometimes even alot cheaper. It just takes time and alot of searching.