1941 Buick hard starting

terrimc

Guest Straight eight

I had the same problem with my 41, and found the field coils in the starter were loose and needed to be replace. No more problems after that.

So I have been noticing that my ground strap was getting hot enough to smoke off the oil detritus while the starter was turning over. I got a new battery-to-starter cable a few weeks ago, so I finally got to installing it today. I also took off the ground strap and ran it across my rotary wire brush in the shop. Put all back together and the engine turns over a *lot* faster now!!

Guest Grant Magrath
Well Grant, it seems that Dave can speak and understand Kiwi. :) :)

Danny

Jeez!

I normally always say earth! I thought ground was an American thing! After you check the ground, maybe you can check your bushes and boot.......

Cheers

Grant

Congrat's Dave. Your learning the facinating world of 6 volts. Big honking wires for everything.

Now go to your local welding supply house an get a couple of lengths of arc welding cables (4X the size of your standard car "jumper cables"), and make a connection from the body to the frame and the engine to the frame, and you'll be all set.

For Grant and Danny, Throw the jumpers in your boot, not the bonnet.

Mike in Colorado

Mike:

Ha ha! Yeah, I certainly know P = I^2 R from my EE background. And these 6 V systems have a large I (current), so even a tiny R (resistance) leads to big P (power)! Which leads to S (swearing) and T (tears)! So I will definitely look into the large cables this winter, I like this idea.

Cheers, Dave

Dave,

When I go to the shows, all the hot rodders ask me how many "cubes" in that big straight eight ? And i tell them 320 cid.

Then they ask me how many horsepower does she make ? And I tell them, oh about 140.

Then they tell me their chevy/ford 350's make upwards of 300.

And I smile and say, yes, but you have to understand, MINE ARE'NT PONEYS, THEY'RE CLYDESDALES.

Mike in Colorado

The ground was connected to the engine block should I connect it to a starter bolt instead. It was the braided kind, should I change this strap to a larger cable, I have ordered 2/0 cable for the positive

Grounded to the block is correct. Will not hurt to ground to a starter mounting bolt. One would KNOW the starter has a good ground that way. The braided strap is correct, if it is large enough. Again , using a 2/0 for ground will not hurt.

Ben

Ben is right. Your battery ground should go straight across to the milled pad on the block just in front of the distributor.

When I took my braided groung strap off the first time, I found the word "Packard" stamped on the underside. WOW......

Soaked it in a baking soda solution to get all the green crud off, and soldered the frayed ends back together at the battery clamp end. Then I sprayed it with clear Krylon, and wire brushed the contact points.

I did go back and add the 2 welding cable connections mentioned in post # 10, body and engine to frame.

So far, she spins over nicely, even after a long "sit".

Mike in Colorado