remove clock from 62 Starfire

jmcap

Hello All,

Fall is here and repairs are being lined up. When I had the dash down for vacuum line repair did not plan ahead and remove the clock at that time. Would love to remove the clock without dropping the dash again. Know that there's a better way but darn if I can figure it out yet. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

post-67805-14314226569_thumb.jpg

John

This is not a fun project.

Take out the console. If you're not skinny or limber, you also may want to take out the shifter.

If your car has AC, you'll need to remove the duct that runs across the bottom of the dash.

There are three nuts holding the clock to the back of the dash- two on the bottom and one on the top.

You should be able to reach the lower two nuts at this point.

Unfortunately, the upper nut is sandwiched between the top of the clock assembly and the bottom of the radio. Depending on the tools you have available, and your dexterity, you may not be able to reach the upper nut.

In that case, you'll need to remove the radio, which pulls out thru the front of the dash after you free up the faceplate, remove the rear support bracket, and disconnect all the wiring.

You may also need to remove the switches for the courtesy lights, top, and power antenna from underneath the upper lip of the dash, or you may not have enough clearance for the radio to slide out.

Now you can remove the clock.

I'm a big fan of keeping things original, but this is one time where I highly recommend doing a quartz conversion on the clock. Trust me, this is not something you'll want to do more than once.

Good luck!

Chuck

Edited by Starfire61 (see edit history)

Chuck,

You only reinforced what I thought from the beginning. I am neither thin and or limber at the age of 66 to work blindly from down under. Been there done that all too many times in younger years. It is easier for me to drop the dash ( only because I've done it twice already on two other Starfires ) and work from above. Thanks for the shot of reality and thank goodness it's the off season so that I can lay the car up for awhile.

John

Yes, prudent advice from Glenn--get that baby quartzed!

The clock in my '62 Olds Starfire quit working a couple years back; it had been quartzed. The label on the clock had an 800 number on it, so I called it, and they mentioned to me that they must have done the quartz job on it at least 30 years ago, because the address on it was from another state (I believe Wisconsin).

These folks gave me several options, and had mine re-quartzed within a couple week's time from shipment on my end back to arrival, and it was reasonable--especially if I were to obtain another 30+ years of service from it. Cut and pasted from Hemmings...

<!-- Listed: Apr 1, 2013

--><!-- Offered By: Private Seller

-->Description: CLOCKS: quartz conversions. Do-it-yourself original electric and quartz kits for clocks. Optional instructional video available. Thousands of NOS clocks in stock. Restoration of speedometers, tachometers, gauge clusters and gas tank sending units. Free catalog. Instrument Services Inc, 11765 Main St, Roscoe, IL 61073, PH: 800-558-2674; ClocksAndGauges.com**12-YR**