Sign in to follow this  
royalcabTC

Hardtop Headliner

Hi,

The insulation in my hardtop has started to disintegrate and is causing the headliner to sag. The corner in the rear has pulled out and powdered insulation is getting all over the place. My question is, how do I get the trim off from the hardtop so that I can remove the rest of the insulation and tighten up the headliner? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

Dug up a photo of hardtop with big side trim removed, the black dots are fasteners that stayed in the hardtop and broke out the plastic slots in the trim when they were removed. Hope this works as an attachment to this post.

post-31433-143142265199_thumb.jpg

post-31433-143142265203_thumb.jpg

Dug up a photo of hardtop with big side trim removed, the black dots are fasteners that stayed in the hardtop and broke out the plastic slots in the trim when they were removed. Hope this works as an attachment to this post.

Thanks for the info Ghosty! Do you have a little more info on those fasteners? Are they the 'christmas tree' type that push in? Do you recommend a panel-popper type trim tool to remove trim without breaking the plastic slots?

Thanks again

Mike

Yes, they are the Christmas tree type push in fastener and need to be popped out with some kind of tool that can reach under the trim and around at least two sides of the fastener. I was unsuccessful at finding them with a tool while the trim was installed on the roof. Knowing where they are might be an advantage.

Hi,

The insulation in my hardtop has started to disintegrate and is causing the headliner to sag. The corner in the rear has pulled out and powdered insulation is getting all over the place. My question is, how do I get the trim off from the hardtop so that I can remove the rest of the insulation and tighten up the headliner? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

Best to get new headliner fabric, comes in multiple colors, the foam padding is integral to the fabric and once it starts to go the rest will follow. If you have an impossible to match color you can pull the whole panel, carefully scrape away the foam and glue on new, very hard to get a good looking result on the first try and very easy to make a real mess.

Best to replace with all new fabric, clean the glue and old foam from the top, light sanding surface where necessary.

Set headliner in place, pull one side over the other and use 3M Super 77 to spray cover adhesion area and foam as evenly as possible. When tacky roll out first glued section with a caress like like you're making love to the fabric, push to hard and you get glue up in the fabric, don't smooth it with pressure and you get air pockets that sag. When the one side is right pull the second side over the first and do it again.

Auto upholstery and trim removal tools can be found in the help section of most auto stores and online, best non sale price is Harbor Freight and sometimes when those fasteners don't want to come out, supplement your plastic pry tool with a needle nose pliers for extra grip and leverage.