1931 8-57 Sedan

Guest Roj

I had the disease, just not on anything this old. The more I work on the car, the more I'm glad I asked and didn't part it out. The engine was just fun to start and listen to it run.

One of the most enjoyable jobs for me is to get an engine started that has sat for a long time.. I get a real kick out of bringing one to life again. Sounds like you and your wife now understand that feeling.

I'm curious, what did you find in the oil pan?? lots of sludge and grit on the bottom? Or relatively clean?? Did the oil pump screen have a lot of crud on it?

And you lucked out on the fuel !! My last fuel system clean up was a nightmare!!

And please, we really, really love photos.. Please post some photos of the rest of the car, engine bay, interior, dashboard, and maybe a closeup of the wheels and radiator etc..

I will 'second' the comment from the above post: You are LOTTERY winner !! Congratulations..

Greg L

One of the most enjoyable jobs for me is to get an engine started that has sat for a long time.. I get a real kick out of bringing one to life again. Sounds like you and your wife now understand that feeling.

I'm curious, what did you find in the oil pan?? lots of sludge and grit on the bottom? Or relatively clean?? Did the oil pump screen have a lot of crud on it?

And you lucked out on the fuel !! My last fuel system clean up was a nightmare!!

And please, we really, really love photos.. Please post some photos of the rest of the car, engine bay, interior, dashboard, and maybe a closeup of the wheels and radiator etc..

I will 'second' the comment from the above post: You are LOTTERY winner !! Congratulations..

Greg L

When I changed the oil the first time, I filled the engine full of fuel and let it set for about an hour. I took the pan off, and then repeated the process two more times. The first time, yes there was some sludge that came out with a little grit. The second time same thing, the third time nothing so we stopped and buttoned the pan back up. I have a John Deere AOS that I did the same thing to many years ago when the motor was actually stuck. It worked for it, so I did the same thing for this. The motor was pretty sound, the carb wasn't stuck and moved freely, so we thought we would give it a try and see what would happen. The fuel pump was very clean after we did this also, but I didn't see it until after the first time we put the fuel in the oil to clean out the motor. I actually used Kerosen and not gas because it breaks down the sludge a little.

As far as lottery winner, I'm not sure of that, but it was alot of fun trying to get the old girl to run again. I'll try and post more pictures, I'm not very good at that because they are all to large, but I'll try to figure out how to shrink them down. Computers are not my strong point.