1931 8-57 Sedan

Guest Roj

Hi all, new to the forum, I just bought a complete sedan with wire wheels and the original black paint. Trying to decide do I part it out or restore it. Not really sure how common the sedan is. The body has little rust, but it has sat for 50 years and obviously it is going to take some money to restore. Any help, I will try and post some pictures.

Edited by Roj
poor spelling (see edit history)

post-97455-143142262717_thumb.png

[ATTACH=CONFIG]221604[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]221605[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]221606[/ATTACH]

The Plate , it is a pretty solid car, but as you can see, it needs some love too.

I paid $3,000 for it, was I crazy?

I wholeheartedly agree with 58Mustang! No, you are not crazy......it is well worth what you paid. Clean it up and get the main elements working & dependable and drive it as is.

Well, it's nice to know I'm not crazy. It's the first Buick I have ever owned. The engine turns over and very complete. I was just worried with 4 doors it was better to use as a parts car. Obviously I was wrong, time to start planning on cleaning it up.

Guest Texas Old Car Guy

If you have second thoughts about buying it, let me know and I'll give you your money back. Looks like a nice Buick!

Here's the same model "cleaned up a bit".

post-66120-143142263788_thumb.jpg

If you have second thoughts about buying it, let me know and I'll give you your money back. Looks like a nice Buick!

Here's the same model "cleaned up a bit".

Obviously the car above is restored, how long did it take you to restore? After reading these posts, since it can only be original once, I was just going to get it running and clean it up alot. Would I be better off to just restore it? Since you obviously have done one, what did you start with?

I wholeheartedly agree with 58Mustang! No, you are not crazy......it is well worth what you paid. Clean it up and get the main elements working & dependable and drive it as is.

+ again - that is a nice HPOF car that could be fun with little cash output if you can turn your own wrench.

Roj, congrats on a nice find. Sounds like you may have had a touch of buyer's remorse but hopefully upon researching you find it is something you are willing to stick with. Great looking old car.

To echo another poster, if you happen to be in the Northeast and are truly having second thoughts let me know I would be seriously interested as well and would have no problem replacing your $3,000.

Didn't have buyer remorse, just never owned a 31, or for that matter a car in the 30's at all. With 4 doors, I didn't know if the car was even worth saving. Obviously with the responses I have, it is. I just didn't want to put $50,000 in a car that was worth $10,000. I can do alot myself, but plating cost money along with painting a car. Mechanically I can get it going because it is in pretty good shape. The motor already rolls over, and the tranny is in pretty good shape.

As far as tubbing, I'll leave that to my grandkid when he gets it in 30 years. :)

From looking at your picture of the body plate it looks though you have a Model 8-67 which is a bigger car than a Series 50; 118" vs 114" wheelbase, 272 cid vs 220, 6.50 x 19 tyres vs 5.25 x 18, weight 3800lb vs 3200lb. Roughly similar productions figures - about 30,000 - but I think the 60 would go a little better than the 50. The series 50 replaced the previous year's Marquette whereas the 60 replaced the previous series 40 six. The 1930 series 50 six was replaced by the 80 and 90 eights in 1931.

4 doors don't have the "coolness" factor two doors have, especially coupes and convertibles. But, they cost a hell of a lot less and have more practical applications. I'm looking for a nice Buick or Cadillac 4 door just to drive a little and chauffeur the grand kids to special events. I may even decide to rent it out for weddings, just for fun.

4 doors don't have the "coolness" factor two doors have, especially coupes and convertibles. But, they cost a hell of a lot less and have more practical applications. I'm looking for a nice Buick or Cadillac 4 door just to drive a little and chauffeur the grand kids to special events. I may even decide to rent it out for weddings, just for fun.

The "coolness" factor in the car this post is about is the fact that it is such great original shape AND the sidemount spares add so much more class. 4 doors CAN be cool!

Different cars lend themselves to different things, not sure a professional ground up restoration will come back to you financially, but that is the case with most project cars.

What speaks to me about this one is the fact that it looks like it would not take too much to put it on the road, good for cruising around town, maybe a local show or two in the summer and of course a small town parade.

More presence than a Model A (not to knock them, had one for years and loved it.) - and more powerful on the road - all in all this was a good buy.

Join the Buick club as has been suggested, and AACA for that matter. JScheib can tell you a thing or two about this car.

Good luck with it.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Restored cars are everywhere, but original cars are not as plentiful. With today's prices for paint and interior work, I would not recommend a full restoration.

Give it a good cleaning, get it running, put some light furniture pads on the seats to protect them. Then drive it and enjoy it.

You will find that at many shows, cruise nights and other car events that the original cars get as much or often much more attention than a restored car.

That was a great buy, even if the engine needs some work, at least it appears to be all there, not missing a fender there and a door here..

Keep us up to date with photos and work progress..

Can you post a few photos of the interior and engine bay ??

Greg L

I'll try and post more pictures, still new at this, the interior looks ok, but just like the rest of the car it needs cleaned up. I got the car from Arizona, that is why there is little rust, but alot of dirt. I actually took the hood off last night and started cleaning up the engine compartment. I drained the gas, wow, and think with a little bit of luck it may get started this weekend.

The fact that the gasoline actually DID DRAIN is good news. The last car I resurrected from a decades-long storage didn't have gasoline remaining, what remained was a thick goo, much like Permatex #2. I put 3 gallons of MEK in the gas tank before trailering the car home almost 1800 miles, but the goo was still almost solid.. I had to remove the ends of the fuel tank and scrape out the mess.

Make sure you drain the oil, and if you can look in through the drain plug hole and verify that the oil pump pickup screen is not buried under an inch of sludge. Personally, if the oil pan can come down easily, I'd drop the pan and inspect the screen and pump. Pack the pump with heavy oil or I like vaseline, so the pump will immediately pull up oil and lube the engine. Use a light oil, like 10w-20 to start it on, then once it has been run for a bit, drain and refill with your favorite heavier oil.. I like Rotella 15w-40 Diesel oil from TSC.

It's also a good idea to remove the spark plugs and spin the engine until you either indicate oil pressure or you get oil out of a removed plug or line in an oil gallery or to an external oil filter if there is one..

The greatest potential for damage to the engine is in the first few minutes of starting it.

With a good, usable interior, most of the parts and the engine not stuck, your $3000 sounds like a real bargain.

Glad you got it and not a hot-rodder!!

Greg L

Edited by GLong (see edit history)

I can do alot myself, but plating cost money along with painting a car. Mechanically I can get it going because it is in pretty good shape. The motor already rolls over, and the tranny is in pretty good shape.

This is where the HPOF suggestion came from - you could preserve the car by getting it running and making sure the brakes and other safety related things are sound and then driving it all over the place. Dull plating is now called Patina and you will not have tens of thousands invested into her. The other thing is you need not worry about a scratch costing you more to repair and if a kid touches it, oh-well...

The fact that the gasoline actually DID DRAIN is good news. The last car I resurrected from a decades-long storage didn't have gasoline remaining, what remained was a thick goo, much like Permatex #2. I put 3 gallons of MEK in the gas tank before trailering the car home almost 1800 miles, but the goo was still almost solid.. I had to remove the ends of the fuel tank and scrape out the mess.

Make sure you drain the oil, and if you can look in through the drain plug hole and verify that the oil pump pickup screen is not buried under an inch of sludge. Personally, if the oil pan can come down easily, I'd drop the pan and inspect the screen and pump. Pack the pump with heavy oil or I like vaseline, so the pump will immediately pull up oil and lube the engine. Use a light oil, like 10w-20 to start it on, then once it has been run for a bit, drain and refill with your favorite heavier oil.. I like Rotella 15w-40 Diesel oil from TSC.

It's also a good idea to remove the spark plugs and spin the engine until you either indicate oil pressure or you get oil out of a removed plug or line in an oil gallery or to an external oil filter if there is one..

The greatest potential for damage to the engine is in the first few minutes of starting it.

With a good, usable interior, most of the parts and the engine not stuck, your $3000 sounds like a real bargain.

Glad you got it and not a hot-rodder!!

Greg L

Greg, the good, I and a friend who is a mechanic Saturday poored new fuel in, changed the oil by dropping the pan checked the main wiring, battery, and by about 6:00 p.m. we were satified and ready to try and see what our work had done.

On the 3rd roll over, she came back to life. We let the car run for about 30 minutes with no issues and were both amazed. After letting it run, we changed the oil again to 15W-40 desiel and started it up. It ran for another 30 or so minutes after starting on the 2nd roll over. The second time it ran very smooth fro a car that hadn't ran in my life time.

Now it's time next weekend to work on the brakes and transmission, we didn't put it in gear because of the brakes, and were so pleased with ourselves we got it running. Even my wife smiled, which I knew then it was a good day.................

Congratulations! You've caught the disease, and there's no cure!

Oohhh their comming to take me away.. Ho ho Ha Ha... :P Stay away from trees and buildings with ally ways. They like to hide there. ;) It is time to clean off my work bench again. It is so thick that I cannot seem to find anything. Dandy Dave!