Painting antique Car

FrankWest107

LOL... must have been the beetles. If it's any consolation I left work on a Friday night with a freshly painted bright yellow SuperBeetle in the booth. When I came in Monday morning I found out a big bumble bee had crashed in the center of the roof, slid down the windshield and spun around in circles down the hood when the paint was still wet. Even booths aren't totally sealed. As for the comments about the professional shops not knowing the risks of the early paint, they should have if they were paying attention. I took autobody and painting in 76/77 and we were informed of the risks of alpha-isocyanates and how they were fine enough molecularly to pass through your body like snot in a screen door whether you breathed it or not. Centari was new with it's early hardeners and I painted the first Miracryl (RM) job in the area a couple years later. Any new products usually meant a round of demonstrations and informational meetings for both the sales pitch and the warnings.

That is terrible! All that work! For nothing! I would have died! My heart goes out to you!

It reminds me of the following clip from Treasure of Sierra Madre, after all their work was for nothing, and they laughed like crazymen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYbjrlrqKOI

Edited by FrankWest107 (see edit history)

As far as any of the BC/CC systems are conserned do not breath it, do not get it on you skin if you spray it. minimum use a full face mask you will absorbe it thru your eyes. I will not do any spraying outside of my booth if I prime anything small the 2K can be rolled with a foam roller outside the booth but use protection. I ran megga body shops for 25yrs. (3 to 4 hundred cars a month) and constantly fought techs to protect themselves. what happens is 1 day you become sesative and at minimum you career ends or worse you do.

The old paints(enamels and lacquers) you could get to last 30yrs. the new finishes about 5yrs. ain't progress wonderfull.

That is terrible! All that work! For nothing! I would have died! My heart goes out to you!

It reminds me of the following clip from Treasure of Sierra Madre, after all their work was for nothing, and they laughed like crazymen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYbjrlrqKOI

Wasn't quite that bad... I think I got away with just re-shooting the hood and I was able to wash the pollen tracks off the roof with cold water and a chamois. Now if I had to listen to Robin Williams laughing like that on a Monday morning...