Question about heater blower motor performance

Guest Kitskaboodle

Guest Kitskaboodle

Compared to other cars I have owned the air flow out the vents of my 90 have always seemed mediocre. With fan on high it seems like the air flow is not that strong. So, the question is: Do blower motors slow down as they get worn out/older or are they like a switch, meaning they work or don't work and no in between? Lastly, if this is normal Reatta blower motor performance, then I am going to attempt to upgrade to a higher CFM motor!

Your thoughts? Thanks, Kit

Guest Mc_Reatta

Fan motors don't slow with age. It's more likely your evaporator is clogged with debris. One member just reported that a PO had replaced the motor with an incorrect PN that turned the wrong direction, but I would expect that to be a rarity.

Pull the blower control module and look down at the face of the evaporator and see if it needs cleaning.

Barney wrote a good thread on how to clean it if needed.

Guest MercWagn

It is easy enough to remove the blower motor, so I'd give the wheel a look over first since it could have broken fins/blades. When you have it out you could also bench test it to see if the rotation is correct.

I assume you have already checked the blend door operation??

Guest Mc_Reatta
Anyone have a link to Barney's blower motor housing clean-up?

Blend door? What is that? :(

Kit

http://forums.aaca.org/f116/c-tune-up-324800.html

Blend door not so important in regards to air flow. It's more for poor heat or cooling performance.

But do check for for good performance of the outlets. Do defrost and floor heat vents leak air when AC is called for?

Guest Kitskaboodle

I don't use my AC. It blows warm air anyways. I did recharge it a few years ago but it probably leaks a bit. :(

I will go ahead and turn it on and see if I hear leaking air as you mention. Oh, and thanks for the link. I am going to bench test the motor while I have it out as I still suspect the motor is weak or maybe has worn shaft bearings.

Kit

Guest Corvanti

when i replaced my blower motor earlier this year i got about a 25% improvement in air movement thru the vents. i purchased this one: http://thereattastore.com/four-seasonstrumark-35384-blower-motor-with-wheel/

agree with checking for how much air leaks thru the defroster and lower vents. also checking the cleanliness of the evaporator.

another "trick" to get more air thru the dash vents in the hot/humid summers here in NC is i block off the window vents on the doors. a wash cloth cut in 1/2 and placed in the outlets on each side of the dash going to the doors works fine. remove when the weather cools and a defroster is needed.:)