Cleaning up and restoring center caps?

Guest Caribou

Guest Caribou

Hey folks. I just finished cleaning up some ralleye rims for my car. I'm fairly happy with the result, but the center caps are still looking pretty sad. (Even sadder now that the rims are shining.) Does anyone have any tips for restoring these? Thanks!

post-77725-143142260863_thumb.jpg

They appear to be plastic with a design on the back side. There really is no way to restore them. Maybe a 30 footer fix up but that's about it. Any metallic design is vapor deposited aluminum not paint and crazing can't be removed. Perhaps someone is re-proing them already if not Emblemagic can use yours as a pattern to repro them if yours are not warped. Be prepared to open your wallet..........................Bob

Guest Caribou

Yeah, they're just stamped plastic, with paint on the back side. The paint has flaked off with time and age. Otherwise they're in good shape though.

Thanks for the information.

I'll try my hand at touching up the paint, and if that fails, I suppose I'm off to try to buy some used ones.

Yeah, they're just stamped plastic, with paint on the back side. The paint has flaked off with time and age. Otherwise they're in good shape though.

Thanks for the information.

I'll try my hand at touching up the paint, and if that fails, I suppose I'm off to try to buy some used ones.

You should look at Shadetree (Robert's) work on his 1952 Buick Special Deluxe trunk emblem he touched up by painting it. If you can access your centers with a brush, maybe you could save yourself some money, especially if the chrome is good on all four centers? Nothing to loose but an evening effort right?

Guest Caribou
You should look at Shadetree (Robert's) work on his 1952 Buick Special Deluxe trunk emblem he touched up by painting it. If you can access your centers with a brush, maybe you could save yourself some money, especially if the chrome is good on all four centers? Nothing to loose but an evening effort right?

Thanks for the tip, I'll check that out. The chrome is okay on them, so I might be able to make some headway doing it like this. The paint on the one I pictured is so bad that I don't have much to lose anyway.

Guest my3buicks