fuel pump issue

Guest panmanpaul

Guest panmanpaul

hey guys i am working on my 1957 olds , installed newly cleaned gas tank and fuel lines put on a rebuilt fuel pump { from a reputable rebuilder} have not started the engine yet , but i have been cranking the engine hoping to see some gas flowing to my glass bowl of my ac fuel filter ,. will i see gas doing it this way or will the engine need to start before fuel flows , by dumping gas into the carb...perplexed panman

You should see fuel flow into the glass bowl of the fuel pump within 15-30 seconds of starter action. Continue using the starter to fill the glass bowl, also let the starter rest after 15 seconds of cranking so not to burn up the starter. Once the fuel fills the glass bowl you will not see any bubbles, at this time you will need to continue to crank until fuel enters the carb. Of course the engine when running will activate the pump at a faster rate, I thought I would let you know that after cranking the starter for 1-2 minutes you should have gas to the carburetor. A good visual is having someone crank the engine while you witness the gas entering the fuel pump glass bowl.

If you do not see gas enter the fuel pump bowl (after 1 minute or so) check for a loose connection between the fuel tank and fuel pump. Pump will suck air before it will pull gas from tank.

• 2 weeks later...

All good comments, but using spray fluid is a relatively safe approach.

If you have added an inline electric pump (as low and as far back - close to the tank as possible - on as switched and fused line) this will be a big help.

The easiest way I have found to get a car to start that has not been fired up for a long time is to fill the float bowl(s). To do so I use an old fashioned catsup squeeze bottle and insert the tip in the float bowl vent tube(s) at the top of the air horn. Works like a charm!