Laughing Coyote

1961 Mercury Meteor 800 restore

I really like your car and I see a lot of great potential there just like Martin's car. Your car deserves it's own thread so you might want to look into figuring out your photo problems. I use a Macbook for all of my posting at home. The rest are done from a PC at work. I find it's much easier to get things done on the Mac.

Here's just an idea of what's out there for patch panels. I'm not sure of their quality but parts are available out there for the same year Fords.

http://c2cfabrication.com/product-category/ford/ford-galaxie/

Flyermark,

Since the sheetmetal is the same on the 800 model I know that Big M auto parts in California has a gold 61 800 sitting at his yard. I got parts for mine off of it. The front fenders are on it and the rear quarters are very straight. Straighter than mine. Give him a call and see what he can do for you. He may be able to cut out the pieces you need or be able to tell you what will interchange or where you can get the pieces you need for your repair. Worth a shot.

Thank you Bleach and Laughing Coyote. I will look into both.

Regarding the pictures I don't know what the issue is. Ipad and Macbook are a no go. The pictures i did get uploaded were from my work Dell. I will try that some more tomorrow though I ran into the same issues after I got these to upload. I'll get it figured out so I can start a thread. I don't want to tie this one up.

Left a message and email with Big M. C2 has '62 parts which I could probably work with. Turns out they are close enough I can walk there. Who knew?

I have browsed your photos. I am in awe of the job youre doing, that's some fantastic work. Makes me believe maybe I should do a little better on mine.

Thanks edhd58. What project are you working on? I bet your doing great work on your project too.

I saw the your thread on your project. Looking good from what I see so far. I will follow your thread as you go. It all takes time and money. :)

Edited by Laughing Coyote (see edit history)

Thanks. It's been a fun project so far. I managed the pull out all the old headliner material today and remove the old roof insulation. I need to do a good check on the roof to make sure there are no dents I can see before I put the new insulation in. Waiting for some small dash parts to come in so I can finish what I can on that. I also put some more adhesive on the steering wheel so I can start sanding on it and get it ready for the next round of interior itmes for painting. Have the front wind screen loose and ready to come out, but I'm goiong to buff the outside of the glass first before I flip it out. Steering column is all back together and waiting to go back in. I will load up a picture in a few days.

Thanks Martin, all because I saw what an awesome job you're doing I decided I could do better too. I say that as a compliment. I was gonna just kinda make my dash look better. Then darn it, as I am out there taking parts off to get ready to sand them and put them in primer I just couldn't leave the dash alone. It's now out and on the floor of the garage in among the pile of "ready to sand" stuff. I know I'll be more satisfied doing it right anyway, I just had to kid you a little though.

It's all good edhd58. You got to laugh and enjoy life. Goes by way to fast. I know what you mean. I look at things to work on and before you know it the parts are every where. It may be more work, but in the long run you know that it's been done right. Keep working at it everybody will notice the extra effort you put into your project. :o

Meteor update: Not much going on with the project. To much work going on. I did get my dash parts in and put them on. (glove box and bumpers, ash tray bumpers, and my turn signal knob) Not very exciting stuff. If I get a chance in the morning I'm going to get some insulation for the roof and see if I can get that in. I did manage to buff out the winshield and got the wiper haze marks out and some other smaller scratches. Still have some others that are a deeper. At $600 for a new window I will use this one for awhile. It doesn't have big chips or cracks and polished up pretty clear. Hope to have more excititing post here shortly.

post-96233-14314246431_thumb.jpg

post-96233-1431424643_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142464305_thumb.jpg

Martin, I always say that any progress is good progress! The dash parts are looking great.

You can see the attention to the little things you're putting in to this job. The results look as good as any pro shop from here.

Thanks for all the positive reinforcements guys. Seems like most of the time lately I get to look at it for a few minutes and don't get to do anything because of lack of time. (business, family, house, and other vehicles) There's no time left. I won't give up on it. Just have to stay focused and slate some time for it.

Well during the past couple of days I managed to remove the headlight housings and work on them. I tore down the drivers side housing and got it all cleaned up and polished up. Put some paint back on it where it use to be and put it all abck together. Looks pretty good. I will start working on the other side later this week. Still have to get the roof insulation so I can get that part of the project completed. Since the back of the car is going to need more body work and TLC I'm leaning towards doing all the front of the car from the firewall forward. The fenders are in good shape so not a lot of body work to do. The most time consuming part would be the frame and suspension clean up, repaint and assembly. Looks like I may have to get an engine stand soon.

post-96233-143142474766_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142474731_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142474736_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142474741_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142474746_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142474751_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142474758_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142474762_thumb.jpg

Well I have been working hard, but not that much on the car.:( I did have a nice surprise when I got back to the house from running errands this morning. Across the street from the house parked on the side of the road was a beautiful Caddy. No one around. So I snapped a few pictures and kept my eyes peeled for the owner. Sure enough about 30 minute later he pulled up in his truck. I went over to talk with him and come to find out he just lives a few streets away. We got to talking about cars and what I had going on so he wanted to check it out. He has owned the car for 50 years he told me. He was taking progress pictures and then decided to go around the block with it and it ran out of gas right there. The interior is out of it and he has been working on it when he can. One nice looking Caddy.

I did finally manage to get my blast cabinet standing upright. Not to much more work on it and I will be ready for blasting.

post-96233-143142486667_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142486663_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142486674_thumb.jpg

What a week. I decided to have some me time and work on the car finally. I installed the roof insulation and pulled just about everything on the front of the car. Guess I will need to get an engine stand soon. Been eyeballing the engine and I think it's coming out. Pulled some wiring hanesses out from the engine compartment and pulled off the old tape, looked them over and retaped them. Pulled a valve cover off just to take a peek to see whats in there. No sludge or gunk. Thats a good thing so far. Have to see what I find in the pan when I remove it.

post-96233-143142490786_thumb.jpg

post-96233-143142490773_thumb.jpg

post-96233-14314249078_thumb.jpg