Laughing Coyote

1961 Mercury Meteor 800 restore

That's the one I'm looking to buy.  I will keep my eyes out too and see what I can dig up.

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Reading through I thought I’d add along with the Merc coming along nicely is I have both the 4” and the 9” shrinking disks. I find the 9” works better as it heats the area faster and more of the high spots at one time. When you spray or wipe with the water the area seems to shrink more evenly. The disadvantage to the big disk is the size of the grinder so the workpiece has to be secured if it’s separated from the car.

• Like 2

Today turned out to be pretty nice day after all. The day started off cloudy and hot so I really wasn't in the mood to do much, but I had to do some work on jobs for customers. That didn't last long since I just couldn't get motivated. It was just one of those days. Then about 3:30 I decided to start sanding on the roof of the Merc. It was still cloudy, but the heat seemed to drop and wasn't too bad so I kept on going and before I knew it I had it all sanded and ready to re shoot primer again. Then I thought, well why not since there was no wind and still cloudy. So I shot it again. Now I just have to sand again with some 600 and ready for paint.

IMG_5985.JPG

IMG_5986.JPG

• Like 8

Looks great!  Those days that you can bust through some stuff are really great.  I need one of those days. lol

Had some time and a cloudy day today so I decided to do some work on the old Merc. I put some body filler on the drivers side rear quarter Saturday after diner and let it cure up overnight so I could work it today. Used the cheese grater to knock down most of the high spots and get it fairly flat. Then 80 grit and a long board with lots of sanding. Then followed it up with 120 grit.  Pretty happy with it so far. Next step is to lay a heavy coat of primer and long board it with 220.  Guide coat it and see what I got after that. They really did a number on the rear quarters. The passenger side is beat worse so that ought to be fun. 

IMG_6018.JPG

IMG_6019.JPG

IMG_6017.JPG

• Like 7

Talk about a LONG board for this car.  Nice work Martin, I'll be paying attention, as we're doling similar work at this point, always good to pick up more tips.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Had another good day on the Merc. The weather here has been overcast a lot so today I was finishing up a few spots that needed some sanding and decided to put some primer on the rear quarter.  It sprayed out nice. It doesn't have a heavy grainy texture. Just a nice heavy smooth coat. When I get some time again I will sand it out with 220 and see what I'm dealing with. It looks pretty good, so I'm hoping there's not to much more to do to it. 

IMG_6024.JPG

IMG_6025.JPG

IMG_6026.JPG

IMG_6027.JPG

Edited by Laughing Coyote (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Looks pretty smooth to me! Nice!

From one of your pictures, it seems that the rear fender is made with two parts, spot welded at the molding's recess. If this is the case, this is a cheaper way to modify the rear quarter for a visual change, or between Ford and Mercury models!

Roger,

The Meteors and Monterey's in 1961 are sitting on a Ford Galaxie platform. The rear quarters are different between the two. The doors are the same. The hood and trunk have minor changes along with the front fenders. The roof is the same as a Galaxie hardtop. The exterior and interior trims are also different. There are a lot of Galaxie parts that I can use which makes it easier to find parts.

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments! Maybe the lower rear quarter is the some on the Ford cars. However, you did not answer the question: are the rear quarters made with 2 pieces or is that a large single stamping?

Sorry, Yes Roger they are two individual panels that are spot welded along the belt line. They have a lead seam at the end and just under the rear of the door.

IMG_6024.JPG

• Like 2

You can see on the Galaxie that the molding line is lower than the Mercury. 

unnamed.jpg

Since the clouds are gone and the heat has risen again I decided to work on some inside trim pieces. I did a quick sandblast and primed them. Just have to clean them up, paint and clear.

IMG_6029.JPG

IMG_6028.JPG

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Roger Zimmermann said:

From one of your pictures, it seems that the rear fender is made with two parts, spot welded at the molding's recess. If this is the case, this is a cheaper way to modify the rear quarter for a visual change, or between Ford and Mercury models!

Roger, that was common practice with auto makers in those years to make the quarter r panels  in two sections, and weld them together. I owned a 1960 Pontiac that had quarter panels that split along the upper piece of chrome trim that ran from the door to the taillight. 

• Like 1

Martin, that is a lot of block sanding on the Mercury. Those are long quarters. That is a neat car.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, John S. said:

Martin, that is a lot of block sanding on the Mercury. Those are long quarters

Isn't that the truth.  I have another long side to go and that side is going to need more work. I'm hoping to be spraying paint on the roof and quarters by late October when it's cooler and I can have more work time with the paint. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, John S. said:

Roger, that was common practice with auto makers in those years to make the quarter r panels  in two sections, and weld them together. I owned a 1960 Pontiac that had quarter panels that split along the upper piece of chrome trim that ran from the door to the taillight. 

Thanks for that comment! There was certainly a reason to do the rear quarter panels that way.

As I restored Cadillac cars, I do know much less what was done on other brands. On Cadillac, the rear quarter panels are made in one piece. An exception: on the '57-'58 Brougham models, the front fenders are made with 2 stampings and spot welded in the middle. The joint is hidden by a molding.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I got all the interior trim pieces primed last night so this morning I gave them a sand with some 600 grit. I decided today to take a little break from the business today to shoot some paint and clear on them. They look good so the next step on them is to order some window rattle strips and get them installed. Then I can set those aside for later. Next I will start to work the other quarter panel. The temps have been over 100 with no end in sight so it makes it hard to go out there and do more hard labor. Not fun.

IMG_6037.JPG

IMG_6039.JPG

IMG_6040.JPG

IMG_6042.JPG

Edited by Laughing Coyote (see edit history)
  • Like 6

Looks great Martin! I'm thinking you'll end up with one of the best full size '61 Mercuries on the planet! As to the temp, we've been watching AZ temps closely for a while. We'll leave for AZ the day after tomorrow to move my son into ASU in Tempe... first year of college. It was 108 degrees there a couple of days ago. 😬 STAY COOL!

Thanks for the comment James. Yes It's pretty toasty here right now. Tempe will be hotter here than in Vail by a few degrees. Drink plenty of water and have your son stay safe. As for me today, I acquired a new tool for the Mercury. A Mercury industrial sewing machine. Couldn't pass up the cost. $450 all in and works nice. Looks like I'm going to have to learn car upholstery too. 

• Like 2