Laughing Coyote

1961 Mercury Meteor 800 restore

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, STEVE POLLARD said:

family life, work etc. takes priority

Isn't that the truth.  I guess all we can do is just pick away at them until they're done.

Edited by Laughing Coyote (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Martin, it's a lot like life. Glad to see you're back on the Merc. John

Even know it's been hot as heck, I did some more work on the Merc.  I'm under a make shift tarp awning which helps some and the sun sets behind the shop in the afternoon so I'm not totally roasting, but still hot.  I started cutting the rusted areas out along the trim line and patching them up.  The old seam sealer is long since gone on the inside of the panel lip and the water was running down the inner panel skin and setting right where they come together.  After the rust is fixed then I will have to handle that mess and get it all cleaned up, re sealed and under coated.  At least I'm making some progress.  

IMG_5504.JPG

IMG_5505.JPG

IMG_5506.JPG

IMG_5507.JPG

• Like 7

A little piece here, a little piece there, but they all add up to a nice finished car when we’re done! I remember doing the same thing on my Olds and now it’s really satisfying looking at those areas and seeing nothing but smooth shiny paint. It will all come together and be worth it.

• Like 1

It's looking great. Real progress.

I'm under a make shift tarp awning which helps some and the sun sets behind the shop in the afternoon so I'm not totally roasting, but still hot.

I can't imagine working on a car in Arizona in summer. Last month I was in in AZ for the first time since I was 6 years old...and it was 114 degrees! And we were north of you (in Tempe.)

13 hours ago, chistech said:

A little piece here, a little piece there

At least they're little pieces now.

13 hours ago, JamesR said:

it was 114 degrees! And we were north of you (in Tempe.)

It's hotter up that way.  I'm south / east of Tucson so not too bad, but we do get to 114 / 115 some hot summers.  This year it's been about normal with highs around 104 / 105.

8 hours ago, Roger Zimmermann said:

I hope that you don't have too much warpage at your rear fenders!

Roger,  There is some where the patches are. About 1/16" in depth, but easily can be managed. Better than rusty metal.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looking great, nice work! 

Martin, how are you doing? Any updates  with the Mercury? Hope all is well, John

Still here John, Been busy with the business.  This year has been really busy.  Good and bad.  Good for making the money, bad for not having much time for anything else.  Also I'm having to paint the house and shop which doesn't help either.  At least the house is done and the shop is next up.  Thank god it doesn't have very many windows.  Should go pretty quick.  I told my wife if we don't end up moving by the time it needs painting again then someone else gets to paint it.  This is the last round for me.

I'm hoping to get some time this Sunday on it.  I need some car therapy. 

• Like 2

On 10/17/2019 at 5:10 PM, Luv2Wrench said:

I made the same statement... but I'll be painting the house and shop later this fall. :(

I hate when the “have to do” house stuff gets in the way. Pretty soon the wife and I will be trimming back all our shrubbery and cleaning up all the beds to get the yard ready for winter. This year is my second using my Kubota and the enlarged bucket I made out of plywood. I’m getting too old for a ton of multiple trips to the back edge of my property with a wheel barrow. Also bought myself a good gas husky hedge trimmer. I go right through the bushes like they’re butter now.

Edited by chistech (see edit history)
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, chistech said:

I hate when the “have to do” house stuff gets in the way

There's truth to that. The reason why I'm hot to get this stuff done this year is we may be moving.  I've been trimming, cleaning, painting and getting things sorted.  There is a place we're looking at on 16 acres, 5000 sq shop with a 1000 sq guest quarters inside of it, plus an additional 3 car garage, green house and the main house also.  LOTS of room for the business and the Merc project.  Best of all  peace and quiet.  We will be talking with the realtor this week and see about putting in an offer.  

• Like 5

Good luck to you, hope it works out. Sounds great and have to admit, makes me a little jealous! 

If it all works out, I will post some pics. of the place.  The market in are area is hot right now.  Houses selling in days for good money too. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Laughing Coyote said:

There's truth to that. The reason why I'm hot to get this stuff done this year is we may be moving.  I've been trimming, cleaning, painting and getting things sorted.  There is a place we're looking at on 16 acres, 5000 sq shop with a 1000 sq guest quarters inside of it, plus an additional 3 car garage, green house and the main house also.  LOTS of room for the business and the Merc project.  Best of all  peace and quiet.  We will be talking with the realtor this week and see about putting in an offer.  

That sounds FANTASTIC!!  I'm actually thinking of doing the same next year after the final kid goes to college. 

• Like 1