Laughing Coyote

1961 Mercury Meteor 800 restore

Recommended Posts

Well the weather has finally broke to a point where the sun is out and warming up some.  We had 6" of snow for the 1st and 2nd day of the new year followed by rain every other day mixed with cold temps.  When the weather was somewhat decent I had a ton of work to get done for the business.  Since the weather was nicer today I decided to repaint the front rock guard.  I had it painted and cleared a while back, but the clear ran bad and I wasn't happy how it came out.  I resanded it and got it repainted and cleared and it looks nice like the fenders.  Now I'm debating on if I should put the grill and headlight pieces on after I put the rock guard back on.  I will be able to mask and cover those pieces when I get ready to do the cut and buff so they won't get damaged and dirty or be in the way.

 

IMG_5116.JPG

IMG_5117.JPG

IMG_5136.JPG

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty, almost looks like a movie set. I would cut and buff before you put on  the chrome.  Really nice work, Martin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Luv2Wrench said:

Is that Vail Arizona or Vail Colorado

After two days of it I was starting to wonder.  Things will green up nice this spring with all the snow and rain we had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the snow pics Martin! (Our son in Scottsdale sent us a few pics of one of the golf courses at Desert Mountain with snow from the same storm......)

 

Still enjoying your reports on the progress of the Merc, keep them coming. Paint is coming out beautiful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The weather was great today.  Sunny and warm.  I know you back easter's don't want to hear that.  After hanging a new glass shower door for the Mrs. I then was able to work on the car.  I painted  the black on the front of the fenders.  They used a brush on them from the factory, so I used a brush and the same gloss black paint for the radiator core.  I guess the reason for the black is so that the slots in the head light housing will show up better and to match the black in the center grill.  I then installed the front rock guard, filled the tank with some gas, and took it out for a ride around the block.:D Still running great.

 

 

IMG_5138.JPG

IMG_5139.JPG

IMG_5140.JPG

IMG_5141.JPG

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This easterner is toughing it out at -15 last night but your sunny pics give me hope! Great job, one of my favorite restorations on the AACA forum... always look forward to updates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think these are the first pictures I've seen of the painted exterior surfaces outdoors in the natural light. That color looks great in real daylight, too...very "1961."

 

I forgot to ask - did you need to replace major body panels or bumpers? (Probably in the text somewhere, but I haven't read everything.) If so, can you share your source? I found a refurbished and replated  nice looking front bumper on ebay back when I bought my car a dozen years ago. IT WAS ONLY $185...but I thought, nah! Dumb move that I regretted. As I've said before, my front bumper has a sizable ding on the driver side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lahti35,  Don't give up yet.  The warm weather will be coming.  I lived in Michigan and Wyoming when I was younger so I had my share of the freezing cold temps.  Thanks for the comments.

 

JamesR,  I didn't have to replace any of my body panels thank goodness.  It's just going to be little patches here and there and knockout dents.  Since it's a one year model it's very hard to find fenders, hoods, and trunks.  There's no sources I know of making any big repair panels.  My bumpers are beat up, but still solid.  I'm going to heat up the bad areas and bang out what I can and have the chrome shop do the rest.  

 

Just some information for you.   I had "Then and Now" make the original style E brake pedal pad from my old worn out one.  I wanted the correct one and you can't find one anywhere.  He has them for sale if you need one.  They also made the special rubber blocks for the front of the rear leaf spring mount.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today was a gloomy wet day so I decided to paint the trunk brackets.  They were just sitting in the shop on top of the Vidmar box already in primer so why not.  Now that they're done I have some more room on top of the Vidmar and another completed part to put on the car.  I will install them later on in the week.  A little more progress.

 

 

IMG_5158.JPG

IMG_5159.JPG

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were times that I only could work on small parts on some of my projects. It's amazing how many smaller parts can need attention and can keep you plenty busy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...