1961 Mercury Meteor 800 restore

I know the humidity pains. Up here in the NE it’s bad plus I live 1.5 miles from the ocean. If that isn’t bad enough, it’s south of me so the wind brings the salt spray inland right over me. I can’t bring anything down to bare metal and leave it for more than a day or two before it starts rusting again! You learn to schedule your blasting, sanding, all other prep work, and priming together so you can do one thing right after the other so there’s no time lag. It’s a pain but it’s part of our lives depending on where we all live. Looking goo and it won’t be long before you’re on the road!

• Like 3

I finished up sanding and working the flaws on the hood yesterday afternoon since there has been a break in the rain.  Today I took some time to put down a heavy coat of primer.  I will start sanding on it later this week and see how everything looks.  If I'm happy with it then I will lay down another thinner seal coat and then I will be ready to flip.  Then the final sand the bottom with some 600 then color and clear.  Starting to make some headway.

IMG_6671.JPG

IMG_6672.JPG

IMG_6673.JPG

IMG_6674.JPG

• Like 9

Looking good, Martin!

Question: Would the incremental way your car is being painted also allow a person to use a smaller air compressor? I ask because I sometimes ponder tackling a painting project, but don't ponder it very seriously because I can't afford/justify the big compressors everyone says you need for a car. But then I see how you are (successfully) approaching your Mercury project, and I start to wonder if maybe I could get by with my smaller compressor. I probably won't do it, as I have no experience, but I think about it.

• Like 1

Thanks James. I attached a link that talks about CFM ratings of air compressors.  Maybe that can help you out too.  The air tools that I've been mainly using are an angle die grinder, DA sander, and an in line sander.  They use a good amount of air and if the compressor is too small then it will run constantly and you won't get much time to use the tool.  All you can do is look into it.  I'm no master painter or body man, I just get tips from my brother that has painted a lot of his own cars and has done great work.  It's really not all that bad to do, it's just time consuming to get everything flat, straight, and smooth.  The more work you put into it the better the product will come out.  I get painting tips from my paint supplier guy.  He helps me out on what products to use, how to use them and what type of finish I will get.  I use a HVLP gun with it's own compressor to paint .  That way I don't have to worry about air pressures and spray patterns.  I just have to adjust the amount of paint coming out of the gun.  I bet you could learn how to do it easy enough and the information is out there.  I decided to panel paint my car since I don't have a big area to leave it and work on it from time to time.  I figured that if I break it down by panels then I can work a piece at a time without too much space being taken up in the shop.  Hope this helped you out.

https://aircompressorsusa.com/how-much-cfm-do-i-need/#main

I did manage to get the hood finished up with sanding and fixing the flaws.  It's now ready for another coat of primer and if should be ready for a final sand and paint.

IMG_6676.JPG

IMG_6677.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JamesR said:

Looking good, Martin!

Question: Would the incremental way your car is being painted also allow a person to use a smaller air compressor? I ask because I sometimes ponder tackling a painting project, but don't ponder it very seriously because I can't afford/justify the big compressors everyone says you need for a car. But then I see how you are (successfully) approaching your Mercury project, and I start to wonder if maybe I could get by with my smaller compressor. I probably won't do it, as I have no experience, but I think about it.

Look on GovDeals, Craigslist, eBay and other places for used big air compressors.  There's a good chance you can find an old Ingersoll Rand (or similar) with a 5HP motor for less than $500.  You might need to purchase a rebuild kit but those are not that expensive.  While somewhat harder to find, you might find a dedicated HLVP system like Martin has.  This site https://www.autobody101.com/forums/ has a wealth of information and a lot of forum members that will jump right in to help out.

Thread hijack over. ;)

Looking great Martin!  I'll be in Phoenix in 2 weeks but we're flying in so we will not be driving past your neck of the "woods". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luv2Wrench said:

Looking great Martin!  I'll be in Phoenix in 2 weeks but we're flying in so we will not be driving past your neck of the "woods".

Dang, too bad.  You could've been here to spray the color coat and clear since you did such a good job on yours.  I guess maybe next time. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I sprayed the hood again with a nice wet coat of primer yesterday and it came out nice.  I will just need to hit it with 600 grit when I'm ready for paint.  I just have to flip it over and do the final sand on the underside this week and hopefully painting it this weekend.  I need to order some insulation for the underside.  Can't wait to get it done so I can move on to the next phase. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

My hood insulation and dampening stuff came this past week so today I put on the dampening stuff on.  I used modern stuff that will be covered up by the insulation.  The front two openings and center opening will get the waffle matting like the factory.  Should be ready to flip it this coming weekend and work the top side.

IMG_6701.JPG

IMG_6703.JPG

• Like 5

I've found a few places on line.  Search waffle hood insulation.  It's running about $20-$35 for a 2' x 3' piece.  Kind of pricey.  I was going to cut the shapes and glue them in.  To redo the hood like the factory you would have to pull the frame work from the skin off the hood since the matting was sandwiched together as one big piece.

• Like 1

Just finished up the insulation.  Just have to flip it and get the top side done and put it back on the car.  I can still add the waffle matting after the hood is back on.  There wasn't any insulation up front due to if it came loose it would end up in the fan.

IMG_6704.JPG

IMG_6705.JPG

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Roger Zimmermann said:

The color you choose is not my favorite, but well suited for the period!

Not my favorite either, but it's the factory color.  It does have yellow or rose tints to it depending on the lighting.  I'm sure that there's not many out there that color.  If I get another car down the road I think it will be white.  ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2021 at 11:02 AM, Laughing Coyote said:

I know that.  That's why I stuck with a solid color car.  And a light color too.

Good to know this info, I wasn't aware that was "allowed," so I think I may end up doing the same, since I'll have an off-white color.  How long is the paint good once you open up a can and paint in this piecemeal way?  How will temperature and humidity affect the paint color, if you don't do it all at once?  Thanks!!!  -Chris

Hursst,  I've been using my paint for a year now.  Yes, I have it stored where it's not too hot, cold or humid.  I make sure after pouring that I wipe the can and lid edges really good so it doesn't let air in to dry it out.  I also mix it very well before each use.  The panels are still color matching and I don't see any differences in them.  Once I'm finished with the painting then I will be doing a cut and buff on the whole car after it's assembled like Jeff did.  This will get out any imperfections in the clear.  Hope this helps you out.  I found it easier to do it this way since I don't have a real paint booth.  If I have issues with the paint or clear than it's easier to handle a panel then having to tape off a whole car and work a fixed panel.  

• Like 2

This morning my wife and I were able to get the hood on the car.  I set some trims on it to see how it's going to look. I still have some adjustments here and there to do yet, but it was getting hot already today so I will tackle that a little later on.  It's on and shuts good.  

IMG_6715.JPG

IMG_6716.JPG

IMG_6717.JPG

IMG_6718.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Looks fantastic, Martin! 

I know the color may not be some folks' cup of tea, but I really like it, I think it will really set the car off against the chrome trim.  Especially appropriate for a hot weather car, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, hursst said:

Looks fantastic, Martin! 

I know the color may not be some folks' cup of tea, but I really like it, I think it will really set the car off against the chrome trim.  Especially appropriate for a hot weather car, too.

I totally agree with hursst. I love that color. There are some shades of turquoise or pastel pink that I'd never want my pants to be, but they look awesome on a 1950's or early 60's car. I kind of wish my '61 Mercury was the same color as Martin's but I don't waste time worrying or thinking about it. I just like that it's original.

Which reminds me of an incident from a couple of years ago: My wife and I were driving through the mall parking lot and I excitedly pointed out an old Jaguar XKE coupe, one of the most beautifully styled cars of all time. Her response, however, was, "Oh yuck! I hate the color!" 😄

• 2 months later...

It's been a long time since I have posted anything on the old Merc.  I run it and drive it around the neighborhood weekly, but no progress lately.  I have been looking into the seat materials, door panels and other things that I will start to gather up.  The business has kept things busy and by the end of the day I'm pretty beat.  The other big sticking point is that this year we've been looking to move to a place with more land.  The way the housing market has been out here it makes things kind of tough.  We're looking at rural areas with lots of acres.  We have found two that have 40 acres, but will require a shop.  I'm looking at putting up a 2100 sq ft shop.  Then I should have plenty of room for whatever I need to do.  More to come and soon.  

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Hey Steve, Thanks for checking in.

I haven't done anything with the old Merc other than starting it every week and keeping things moving.  I've been busy with my business and doing some other things around the house.  We've also been searching hard for a house with a bigger shop and land.  That's also been taking quite a bit of time and yielding no luck.  Everything we've come across is nothing but overpriced wrecks.  So after discussing things more and with house prices and interest rates going up we're just going to stay where we are.  Now I will be able to get my head back into the game and get back on the car and not have more distractions.  Hope to be posting progress soon. 

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Martin, I thought you might get a kick out of this: There's a near new '61 Mercury Meteor 800 that shows up in this old movie. It's a four door sedan rather than a two door HT, but other than that, it reminds me of your car. It's later on in the film. I rarely see these in old movies.

If you don't like watching old movies, you can skip right to the 54:00 minute mark, where it first shows up. It appears off and on til about 55:30. I doubt it will give you much info you don't already have, but it's kind of fun to see how wide the white walls were for Mercs in '61. The movie was made ion Feb. '62 so the car is in great original condition.

If you do like watching old movies, there are some other cool old cars, including a Comet, maybe from the same year. There's also an awesome '61 or '62 T-bird convertible, and maybe a glimpse of a nice old Buick Skylark convertible from '53-4.

"DEADLY DUO" Craig Hill, Marcia Henderson, Robert Lowery. 2-16-1962. - YouTube

That's pretty cool.  The one guy was beating up on that Thunderbird coming off the road and up the hill.  Got to love those old movies and all the other cars.  Thanks

I plan on getting back on the Merc this weekend if the weather will give me a little break. It's been cold and windy lately.

• Like 1