1961 Mercury Meteor 800 restore

Okay. Now we are making some headway. Since the last post I fired the car and it wouldn't even stay running. Just stumble and cough and acted like its got the flu. Also the starter got hung up and wouldn't retract back in. I was about to sell the damn thing.  Then after a few days I took it back apart. Got it at TDC again. Put in hotter plugs, pulled the starter and solved the issue with the bendix hanging up. Re-installed the distributor again and got the rotor set. Points where re-gaped and everything doubled check. Today I fired it up again and it actually ran. With all the test equipment hooked up, checked the high idle RPM's and set at 1500 RPM's . After it warmed up I checked the low idle and adjusted to 600 RPM and in gear I'm at 550 RPM's. Vacuum was at 19 during high idle and settled down to 16.5/17 at low idle. Dwell is at 23.5 at low idle. The manual shows 26-28 on the dwell so it's a little low. Have to look into that for more adjustment. I had to increase the fuel mixture richer since I had a little back fire thru the carb. It does run a lot better than before. The hesitation seems to be gone now and it has more pep. I took it around the block for some exercise and it was great. So it was a good day, for once.

Edited by Laughing Coyote (see edit history)
  • Like 10
  • 2 months later...

After a long pause of not working on the Mercury due to weather, the business, and several home projects I got to work on it today. I decided to paint the roof. since there wasn't much to do and I have the paint.  I did the final sand with 600 and got it done. It came out pretty nice. Is it a perfect pebble beach paint job? Well no, but it's a nice local car show and driver paint job. The little things I see should come out once I cut and buff.  After the car is done I planning on driving the wheels off it.  Feels good to get something done. I think the next thing is the hood so I can get the front of the car finished. The rear quarters are going to be a fun time and I really can't get to the front jambs good until I pull the doors. We are considering of moving so I don't want to be in the middle of that headache until we get where we want to be. If and it's a big IF it works out. Things aren't looking all that great out there.

IMG_6432.JPG

IMG_6434.JPG

IMG_6435.JPG

IMG_6437.JPG

IMG_6440.JPG

IMG_6441.JPG

• Like 11

Thanks Bleach! The over spray on the rear quarters will be sanded and covered with at least two more heavy coats of primer to get the imperfections fixed. Plenty to do yet. ;)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks great! There's something about a shiny roof and hood. When you come out of a store and see the straight, shiny roof, hood and trunk lid of your old car  in the parking lot, it's a great feeling! Glad to see you working on the Mercury again.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Since my neighbor went to Ohio to see family for a while I washed my tractor this morning and parked it in his shop. That freed up some room for me to work on hood. After digging the hood out of my trailer I started by removing most of the hood insulation. Still have more in the front to remove. There are some spots where it's stuck good still. The fun part is removing the black tar stuff. It's a mess to remove. I also was looking it over and found a lot of things that need attention. The hood mount on the passenger side is pretty messed up so that will take some work to straighten out. The fun has just started.

IMG_6530.JPG

IMG_6531.JPG

IMG_6532.JPG

IMG_6533.JPG

IMG_6534.JPG

IMG_6535.JPG

Edited by Laughing Coyote (see edit history)
  • Like 5

As I said, the fun just started. After a break I was closely looking at the hood bolt mount areas and they didn't look factory to me. There was brazing all around one threaded hole and the ones on the other side look about the same.  Sure enough someone did some repair work on the hood mounts. Why? don't know. I have one hole that is factory so I will have to go with that and fix all the others to match. And I wounder why the hood never sat right.

IMG_6536.JPG

IMG_6537.JPG

IMG_6538.JPG

IMG_6539.JPG

• Like 5

Did some more work on the hood today. I was able to get the brazed nut off and everything cleaned up. I made a new nut out of some 1/2" square bar stock.  After getting everything all straightened back out it was time to weld it all back together.  I have to get my other welder out to finish the welds up.  My shop welder doesn't like the thin metal even on the lowest setting.

IMG_6540.JPG.9dfe844215dc81e0671794a93a970224.JPG

IMG_6541.JPG.ea1982e55a924bc8f7299f80b88ed32f.JPG

IMG_6542.JPG

IMG_6543.JPG

• Like 2

Wow, sorry that this part of the job was more involved than desired. Looks like you're doing a great repair, though.

I'm going to check again and see how securely my hood is fastened to the hinges. Maybe this was a common repair for common problem back then??

If you can think of any photos that might help you, let me know and take some when I'm up at storage.

No worries James, I don't know why it would have needed a repair like that unless the factory nut mounts rusted away on the back side of the hood frame and gave way causing the hood to be loose. The other side looks like the factory square nuts where brazed back on.  Doesn't look like a dealer type repair.  I will know more when I tear into that side.  More to come.