1961 Mercury Meteor 800 restore

Okay. Now we are making some headway. Since the last post I fired the car and it wouldn't even stay running. Just stumble and cough and acted like its got the flu. Also the starter got hung up and wouldn't retract back in. I was about to sell the damn thing.  Then after a few days I took it back apart. Got it at TDC again. Put in hotter plugs, pulled the starter and solved the issue with the bendix hanging up. Re-installed the distributor again and got the rotor set. Points where re-gaped and everything doubled check. Today I fired it up again and it actually ran. With all the test equipment hooked up, checked the high idle RPM's and set at 1500 RPM's . After it warmed up I checked the low idle and adjusted to 600 RPM and in gear I'm at 550 RPM's. Vacuum was at 19 during high idle and settled down to 16.5/17 at low idle. Dwell is at 23.5 at low idle. The manual shows 26-28 on the dwell so it's a little low. Have to look into that for more adjustment. I had to increase the fuel mixture richer since I had a little back fire thru the carb. It does run a lot better than before. The hesitation seems to be gone now and it has more pep. I took it around the block for some exercise and it was great. So it was a good day, for once.

Edited by Laughing Coyote (see edit history)
  • Like 11

• 2 months later...

After a long pause of not working on the Mercury due to weather, the business, and several home projects I got to work on it today. I decided to paint the roof. since there wasn't much to do and I have the paint.  I did the final sand with 600 and got it done. It came out pretty nice. Is it a perfect pebble beach paint job? Well no, but it's a nice local car show and driver paint job. The little things I see should come out once I cut and buff.  After the car is done I planning on driving the wheels off it.  Feels good to get something done. I think the next thing is the hood so I can get the front of the car finished. The rear quarters are going to be a fun time and I really can't get to the front jambs good until I pull the doors. We are considering of moving so I don't want to be in the middle of that headache until we get where we want to be. If and it's a big IF it works out. Things aren't looking all that great out there.

IMG_6432.JPG

IMG_6434.JPG

IMG_6435.JPG

IMG_6437.JPG

IMG_6440.JPG

IMG_6441.JPG

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great! There's something about a shiny roof and hood. When you come out of a store and see the straight, shiny roof, hood and trunk lid of your old car  in the parking lot, it's a great feeling! Glad to see you working on the Mercury again.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Since my neighbor went to Ohio to see family for a while I washed my tractor this morning and parked it in his shop. That freed up some room for me to work on hood. After digging the hood out of my trailer I started by removing most of the hood insulation. Still have more in the front to remove. There are some spots where it's stuck good still. The fun part is removing the black tar stuff. It's a mess to remove. I also was looking it over and found a lot of things that need attention. The hood mount on the passenger side is pretty messed up so that will take some work to straighten out. The fun has just started.

IMG_6530.JPG

IMG_6531.JPG

IMG_6532.JPG

IMG_6533.JPG

IMG_6534.JPG

IMG_6535.JPG

• Like 6

As I said, the fun just started. After a break I was closely looking at the hood bolt mount areas and they didn't look factory to me. There was brazing all around one threaded hole and the ones on the other side look about the same.  Sure enough someone did some repair work on the hood mounts. Why? don't know. I have one hole that is factory so I will have to go with that and fix all the others to match. And I wounder why the hood never sat right.

IMG_6536.JPG

IMG_6537.JPG

IMG_6538.JPG

IMG_6539.JPG

• Like 6

Did some more work on the hood today. I was able to get the brazed nut off and everything cleaned up. I made a new nut out of some 1/2" square bar stock.  After getting everything all straightened back out it was time to weld it all back together.  I have to get my other welder out to finish the welds up.  My shop welder doesn't like the thin metal even on the lowest setting.

IMG_6540.JPG.9dfe844215dc81e0671794a93a970224.JPG

IMG_6541.JPG.ea1982e55a924bc8f7299f80b88ed32f.JPG

IMG_6542.JPG

IMG_6543.JPG

• Like 5

Wow, sorry that this part of the job was more involved than desired. Looks like you're doing a great repair, though.

I'm going to check again and see how securely my hood is fastened to the hinges. Maybe this was a common repair for common problem back then??

If you can think of any photos that might help you, let me know and take some when I'm up at storage.

No worries James, I don't know why it would have needed a repair like that unless the factory nut mounts rusted away on the back side of the hood frame and gave way causing the hood to be loose. The other side looks like the factory square nuts where brazed back on.  Doesn't look like a dealer type repair.  I will know more when I tear into that side.  More to come. 

Just wanted to mention if you decide to blast any of the under hood bracing, make sure you tuck some plywood or rubber sheet under the bracing and against the bottom of the hood sheet metal. I blasted my 83' blazer hood bracing as it was rusty in places. When we flipped the hood over to work the top it was warped anywhere the sand had even lightly touched it. The hood surface is a big span of unsupported metal that is easily warped because it's only fastened at the front, sides, and back. While the bends are purposely put in them for strength, some hoods like my 83' Blazer hood, has almost a totally flat surface that is structurally weak.  It was pretty amazing how just incidental contact from the sand warped the steel. You could actually see the shape of the bracing on the top of the hood when looking at it at just the right angle. Ended up getting another hood as the time to try and shrink it then work it wasn't worth just buying a good original hood. Lesson learned.

• Like 2

Chistech, I will be sanding the outer skin with a DA sander and chemically treating any rust that's on the inside of the hood and sealing it up.  It's mainly around the edges and the front lip area.  By the time it rusts thru out in this dry dust bowl climate I will be long since gone.  

• Like 1

I had a little time this afternoon so I cut the other side out of the hood hinge area and looked just as bad with rust, but the repair job was worse than the other side.  I got the area cleaned up and treated and welded in new mounting blocks.  It won't be coming apart in my lifetime.  Just have to remove all the brazing crud, clean up, straighten, and reinstall.

IMG_6545.JPG

IMG_6546.JPG

IMG_6547.JPG

IMG_6548.JPG

IMG_6549.JPG

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

This weekend I decided to brave the heat for a bit and work on the hood.  I got the hood mount areas all welded up and cleaned up.  Just a little spot filler here and there to fill any imperfections and that would be done.  The other issues I had was to go and pull out all the dents and dings in the brace areas.  I have a lot of them pulled out, just have to do a little filler here and there and they will be finished also.  The really fun part will be the front edge where the rust is the worst and will require straightening the front edge.  Once that is complete and I'm happy with all of it then I will lay down a heavy coat of primer and see how it looks.  Then I will probably install it on the car to see how it fits and if there is anything out of wack that will require a tweak here and there.

IMG_6606.JPG

IMG_6607.JPG

IMG_6608.JPG

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

This afternoon I had a chance to get the rest of the hood sanded.  I have already addressed the areas that needed some attention so the next step is to work the front lip area. Hopefully it wont be too big of an issue to get cleaned up, but you never know when you start getting into it.

IMG_6622.JPG

IMG_6623.JPG

IMG_6624.JPG

• Like 8

So... one of my girls is headed your way... well close.  My middle daughter graduated from Georgia Institute of Technology this spring with a BS in Earth and Atmospheric Science and a minor in Physics.  She has been accepted to the doctoral program in the Schools of Earth and Space Exploration at ASU in Phoenix.   It looks like that's a good bit north of you but at least the same state!   If I end up driving with her to get there we'd probably drive right by you.  I'm thinking that we're probably not going to drive and rather I'm just going to lease her a car in Phoenix.  If we do drive, I'll let you know!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I finished up all the body work on the hood last night and did a fit test.  It looks pretty good for fit.  Today I laid down the primer.  It went on very well since it was very humid this morning.  I will just need to hit it with some 600, spray and clear when I'm ready.  The hood hinge repair areas look good too.  I will flip it over in a week and start working the top side after I let it cure out.  

IMG_6641.JPG

IMG_6642.JPG

IMG_6644.JPG

IMG_6643.JPG

• Like 6

A little moisture in the air will help it flow a little better and keep it from drying out to fast when spraying.  Out here in the desert at 90 degrees and dry the primer just dries out to fast and gives it a grainy look.  We are having our rainy season so it helps. It's not super high humidity just a little moist. You see guys in paint booths spray down the floor with water to keep the dust down, but that would incorporate moisture in the booth also when spraying.

Here in the south, our idea of "a little moisture in the air" is also called "rain without clouds overhead"... ie; 80% humidity.  In those conditions your air system has to be really good at removing water or that's what will be in whatever you're trying to spray.  That, Roger, might be behind what you've heard.   I have a pre-tank intercooler on my compressor and it pulled out nearly a gallon as I sprayed 4 coats of clear yesterday.   If I didn't have that, 50' of copper, multiple water traps, 2 quarts of desiccant beads and a sub-micron filter at the end... I would have been spraying water along with the clear this weekend.  So yes, what you've heard is generally true.  Where Martin lives, however, spit evaporates before it hits the ground.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Luv2Wrench said:

Here in the south, our idea of "a little moisture in the air" is also called "rain without clouds overhead"... ie; 80% humidity...Where Martin lives, however, spit evaporates before it hits the ground.

Having a brother who lives in Georgia and a son who goes to school in Arizona (not that far from Martin) I can attest to what Luv2Wrench is saying. They are different worlds with different definitions of humidity. 😉

• Like 2

Over this past week I decided to sand out the hood.  I had some areas that needed sanding with 220 to smooth out and the rest came out nice with 600.  Today I put on another coat of primer and it came out great.  I will hit it with a light sand and it's ready for color after the top side is ready.  I will give it a few days and flip it over later this week and sand the top.  It looks ugly, but should sand out nice with no surprises (I hope).  Once it's done then a heavy coat of primer, sand and should be ready for color too.  On another note my old neighbor has decided that it's time to move back to Ohio to be closer to family since he's 80 and can't do the VW transmission work anymore.  I've been helping him sell off his equipment.  So far he has given me a 20 ton HF press, parts washer tank and a HF engine hoist.  I'm sure there will be more as he goes through the shop.  Now I need a bigger shop.

• Like 5

Got the hood flipped over today.  Started to sand on it.  Other than a few small nicks to fill and surface rust it's not to bad.  I got half of it done and treated the metal with some OSPHO.  I will go over it again with the DA one more time and on to the other side.  Should go pretty fast.  We're expecting a bunch of rain this weekend so I will have to spray primer next week.

IMG_6658.JPG

IMG_6659.JPG

IMG_6660.JPG

• Like 3

Looking great Martin.... once completed and on the road, ever think of taking your 8 years of restoration and turn it into a restoration book / guide ? Your detail pictures and your explanation of work is top notch, just like some other restoration threads here on the forum !

Steve 

• Like 1