1961 Mercury Meteor 800 restore

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks James, I have a area picked out for my photo shoot when I get it all finished. I did some more work on the rear quarter on the passenger side today. I know it's nothing exciting. Believe me I'm as excited doing it as getting a root canal, but it has to get done. The smoke from the fires has cut down on the blazing heat and sun so it's not bad. I got the panel as straight as I could since that side got pretty beat up. Applied a skim coat of filler and started sanding. More sanding to do yet, a lot more. I also had a small rust area under the rocker I forgot about, but patched it up and got it ready to be primed when I lay down another coat. I got a nice tool for my birthday to help with all the sanding. 

IMG_6069.JPG

IMG_6070.JPG

IMG_6071.JPG

IMG_6074.JPG

• Like 5

I'm pretty good on a fire buffer. Surrounded by lots of concrete and rock. The trees that I do have are on the outer parts of the property and not close to the house.  We're getting a lot of smoke from the California fires. The sun is orange during sunrise and sunset. Just grey during the day. Here's the sun at 5:30pm

IMG_6067.JPG

IMG_6068.JPG

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

More progress on the Mercury today.  Did more sanding and filler.  Looks pretty good, but will see how it sands out after it's primed.  I'm sure I will have more to do.  I discovered a repair that was done long ago on the lower rear quarter just in front of the rear wheel.  With all the things I have found on the car by taking it apart it had to come off the road at one point .  The panel got damaged along with the lower rocker, the oil pan was dented and scratched deep, so was the transmission cross member, trans oil pans had scratches, the U joint ring on the drive shaft had a big chunk taken out of it, the rear axle on that side had a newer bearing and seal, the rear leaf spring hanger in the back was bent, and the rear diff had a broken roll pin in the spool.  So apparently the guy like to drink and smoke and had a few to many and went off the side of the road.  With all the beer can openers I found and butts in the ashtray.  Fun times.

IMG_6083.JPG

IMG_6085.JPG

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

Last weekend I finished up the filler work and didn't bother posting since it still looked the same.  Today I pulled the old Merc into the shop that I do all my painting and clear coating in for the business.  I'm glad I had taken down the tree. I would have never been able to get the car in.  I had to drive up the hill and make the turn to get it close.  It still took me about 6 times going forward and back to get it into the shop.  Big car, tight area.  So today after getting the car into the shop I was able to lay down 3 nice heavy coats of primer.  It looks pretty good, which I was surprised at since it was so beat.  So next weekend I will be sanding both sides with 220 and see how much more little things need to be addressed.  Once I'm happy with it I will lay down a few more coats.  Then sand 600 and be ready for color coat.

IMG_6091.JPG

IMG_6093.JPG

IMG_6094.JPG

IMG_6095.JPG

IMG_6096.JPG

• Like 6
6 hours ago, Bleach said:

Looks like your car had a similar fate as this one.

Mine wasn't that bad, but bad enough for me to do a bunch of body work.  Next one, if there is one will be in better shape body wise. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 10/11/2020 at 3:41 PM, Bleach said:

Looks like your car had a similar fate as this one.

image_582fa363d681121e044db3d4e829f516f5

Oh man. I LOVE that photo! I know the plate, says Conn., but that picture could've been taken in my old neighborhood in the 1960's.

I would definitely not envy the person trying to restore that car. Both front and rear bumpers for the '61 full size are very difficult to find in nice condition...at any any price. After a dozen years I'm still kicking myself for not buying the very nice replated front bumper on eBay ...for $185!!☹️

Thanks John.  Now that the weather has started to cool a bit (under 100 at least) I'm starting to get some steam back and get rolling on the car.  I also started making a Pontiac Service wall sign that lights up to put in the shop.  I know I don't own one, but you never know.  Actually I have a few more lighted signs I'm going to be making to jazz up the place.

IMG_E6097.JPG

• Like 5

Thanks guys. It's pretty easy with the plasma table. Design it, cut it, clean it, weld it, and add some paint.  Takes a day or so for the rusting effect otherwise It would have been done sooner, but I like the weathered look.  I had a LED strip left over from another sign I made for a customer and have plenty of lens material so why not use it.