1961 Mercury Meteor 800 restore

I'd put the vette outside and buy a high quality UV protected cover and let it wait its turn.  I want to see you finish the Merc...just my opinion.  It's a win-win either way.          -Chris

• Like 1

I'm with Hursst as well.....I can't wait to see this Merc completed, you put a lot of time into in, plus, this thread has been a motivation factor with my own restoration....( which I'm hoping to get started on again ) put the Vette in storage and save it for your next project.

Steve

• Like 2

Well Martin, I'm sorry I haven't been catching up on the restoration threads...I've missed some big news! The Corvette is stunning! A free Vette is a very unusual occurrence, but I'm guessing the very generous previous owner saw the beautiful work you've done on your Mercury Meteor 800 and decided you'd be the ideal steward for his Corvette. Good decision on his part. Who wouldn't want their former car to be in the best hands possible?

I wish I possessed the talent, resources, experience, space and equipment to buy your Mercury Meteor (should it go up for sale) but I don't. I love those cars greatly, but I wouldn't be the right person to own and complete the restoration on such a beautifully executed project. I own survivors and drivers, and put forth a lot of effort just to keep them running. My hope is that you'll change your mind and complete and keep your Mercury, but I understand if you don't. Just before I found out that you were possibly selling your car I noticed that it's coming up on 10 years of owning and working on the Mercury project. THAT'S A LONG TIME...and life is short. Best wishes and THANKS for all the help and advice on my '61 Mercury. It's helped me immeasurably.  - Jim

• Like 1

Jim,

The neighbor that gave me the Corvette is 65 and told me he has too much stuff and he doesn't have time to mess with it. He has a 68 El camino that's hopped up, a 2004 Z06, a newly purchased 97 Chevy half ton 4x4 that he really likes, and a 4 seater UTV that keeps him busy enough. Plus he has a lot to do with his yard and house yet. He knows I will get it straightened out and enjoy it. As far as the Mercury, I still like the car since it is unique and not seen very often. It's a good running solid car and would be nice when finished. I'm still on the fence with it. With everyday items doubling in cost every time you turn around it makes it harder to set aside the funds to get it finished. If I do sell it then that would free up some funds for the Corvette. I agree, life is short, very short. You got to do what makes you happy.

• Like 6

• 3 months later...