1961 Mercury Meteor 800 restore

I had some time this afternoon and decided to do a little more on the car.  I hooked up all the E brake cables and brackets, speedo cable is in and installed the H pipe.  Waldon did a great job.  Fit like a glove.  Very pleased.  Have to buy some hangers and clamps when I'm out next time.  Also I will be tacking the inner fender wells to the coaters to get sand blasted so they will be ready for paint.

IMG_4001.JPG

IMG_4002.JPG

Thanks John S.  I took the inner fender wells to the coaters and she told me to come back in a few hours and they will be done.  I had to run a few other errands and when I stopped back by they were all done.  I have to straighten a few things on them and they will be ready for paint.

IMG_4009.JPG

IMG_4011.JPG

IMG_4012.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend I was able to work on the car some more.  I picked up the muffler clamps and hangers for mounting the pipes.  Got those all hung.  Installed the power brake booster vacuum hose and hooked the transmission cooler lines back up.  Ran the wiring harness to the generator and the engine harness.  Still have to work the valve cover gaskets and get them all finished up.  Hopefully I will get time to paint the inner fender wells this week.  Going to be a busy week.  I also made a piece of yard art for my kids earlier in the week.

IMG_4013.JPG

IMG_4026.JPG

IMG_4027.JPG

IMG_4028.JPG

IMG_4029.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks Paul. I cut out the art piece on my plasma table.  It's about 24" tall.  I can make them even bigger.  I have 3 others I'm going to make to place in the flowers beds and around the yard.  They go together like a 3d puzzle.  I'm going to work on some other ideas.

Well it's already getting hot again. Got to 101 a few days ago. Not looking forward to the heat this early. I did manage to get the inner fenders painted earlier in the week and they came out nice.  I used a polyurethane gloss black paint.  Started to assemble the right side and got the wiring finished up.  I have to get my hose clamps ordered so I can install the radiator and buy some heater hose. I also ordered my dash pad on Friday and should have it next week. Can't wait.  Just have to work the new gas tank neck and work out a dent in the trunk.  It's right above where the filler neck sits so I can't install it until that's taken care of.  Making good progress still.:D

IMG_4070.JPG

IMG_4071.JPG

IMG_4073.JPG

• Like 1

I received the dash pad on Thursday and it looks nice.  I purchased it from Rhino Fabrication out of Oregon. I'll be stopping in to see the automotive paint supplier that I use to discuss the painting process of the pad. I also had taken the windscreen out a while back so I cleaned up the mounting area to make sure there was no rust lurking about under all that window caulk.  Has a couple of bare metal areas, but everything else looks good. Once the pad is painted then I will get the dash put back in and be one step closer to getting it back to moving under it's own power. The radiator hose clamps that I ordered were suppose to be in stock. There not, so I have to wait on those now. I will be working the fuel tank next since I really can't do a whole lot more up front. I did manage to get the power steering hoses all hooked up. Just need the two small ones for the steering cylinder. 

IMG_4088.JPG

IMG_4089.JPG

Thanks for the comments guys. I was able to get more time to work on the car today even though it was Mothers day. I got the OK from the Mrs.  So I took the dent out of the trunk area where the filler neck sits. It's been sanded and primed. Will put the base and clear coat on it in a few days. I brought the two fuel tanks into the shop to start to work on switching the filler necks since the new one has a straighter neck. I also had to add the vent stub on the new tank just like the old one has.  I was going to machine the whole part from scratch, but had an idea to use a bolt so I can have a built in shoulder to weld too. I put a shoulder on the back side so it would line up nice and centered on the tank. I didn't have enough time to do the necks, but I will try to get them swapped this week. I also got the valve covers all taken care of so I shouldn't have any leaks (I hope). If everything goes as planned I will be putting the tank in this coming weekend.

IMG_4091.JPG

IMG_4092.JPG

IMG_4093.JPG

IMG_4094.JPG

IMG_4095.JPG

IMG_4096.JPG

IMG_4097.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks Gary, I hope it's been an enjoyable project for everyone that's been following it so far. I did manage to get the filler necks changed out on the fuel tank. I have to add some webbing to the tank holding straps so they don't rub the bottom of the tank.  I have some foam  left over from Mcmaster carr that I used when I rebuilt the heater box doors. It has a sticky side so it will stay in place on top of the tank. That way there's a little cushion between the top of the tank and the underside of the trunk pan. Also I stopped by the automotive paint store and got my shopping list for the dash pad paint. It's going to cost $60 for everything. Not to bad, but need to get it done so I can get it glued to the main dash and get it installed. Still have to paint the inside of the filler neck area on the car. Planning on getting to that this weekend. 

This weekend I got the filler neck opening painted and was able to install the fuel tank. I have to hook up the fuel line and it will be ready for fuel. One more step closer. I wish the radiator clamps would get here so I can get the rest of the front done. I hate waiting for back orders.:(

IMG_4116.JPG

IMG_4117.JPG

IMG_4118.JPG

IMG_4121.JPG

IMG_4122.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliments gentlemen. I got some good news yesterday. I was checking my status on the hose clamps and they are on the way.  They were suppose to ship on June 17th. I'm going to run to the auto parts store tomorrow and pick up my heater hose, clamps and a few other odds and ends. Then to the paint store on Thursday to get my paint supplies for the dash pad repaint. :D

Today I got all the radiator and heater hoses all hooked up. Also managed to get the fuel line connected to the tank and installed the fuel gauge wire tot he sender.  Filled it with coolant and no leaks.  The paint shop had everything except my flexible primer for the dash pad repaint.  They ordered it in so I should have it Tuesday or Wednesday.  Hopefully I should have it painted by this coming weekend and be ready to glue it to the dash.  Getting antsy to run it again.  I also received a replacement speaker for the dash since the other one was way to far gone.  I know you can buy a re coning kit to rebuild them, but it was cheaper to buy one.  I will still keep the speaker frame.

IMG_4141.JPG

IMG_4142.JPG

IMG_4143.JPG

• Like 2

Beautiful work, Martin.  Almost there.

Thanks Chris. Today I had to run into town and was able to pick up all my dash pad painting supplies. I wiped it down and prepped it. Sprayed on the adhesion promoter.  A few nice light coats of primer and then the final paint coat. Came out nice. It has a little shine to it, but it should flash out nice and cure out to a more satin look.  Going to do the steering wheel tomorrow.  I still have to get the glue to mount the pad. Once that's done then time to start putting it back together. 

IMG_4149.JPG

IMG_4150.JPG

IMG_4151.JPG

IMG_4153.JPG

Today was a busy day with yard work and 104 degrees.  The heat is here. Yea.:(  I did take a break later on in the afternoon to go pick up my ignition switch assy and key cylinder.  I should have the dash glue by Wednesday.  I also wanted to change out the brake warning light bezel with one that's a little bit more clean and matches the shinny chrome on the dash. The car just came with a sleeve that sits flush with the dash trim piece and didn't have any flash to it. I saw that you can buy them for $25 or more, but after looking at it I decided to make my own. With all the machining going on in some of the other threads I fired up the lathe and went to town. After about a 45 minutes I had it done and polished. Fits nice. Just have to make the lens and done. Looks good and with give the dash a little extra pop. The steering wheel is all ready too.

IMG_4156.JPG

IMG_4157.JPG

IMG_4158.JPG

• Like 2

Today I was engraving plates with my laser and decided to cut the lens for the brake indicator I made. It was cut out of 1/8" plexi. It worked out great since it was designed to engrave and cut. It was the first time trying the cutting feature. I then painted it with transparent red paint and then printed the words Brake on some clear vinyl and stuck it to the lens. I left a little vinyl overhang so when I push it into the housing it will give it a nice snug fit. Should be installing the dash pad this weekend. The auto paint supply store had a hard time trying to get the adhesive for the pad so I'm going to have to find something else.

IMG_4164.JPG

IMG_4165.JPG

IMG_4166.JPG

• Like 1

As promised, over Fathers Day weekend I finished getting the dash all installed along with the steering column. I still have some little things to take care of, but the hard part is done. I still have to install the speaker, do the wiring, and hook up the heater and vent control cables. I also purchased a battery and cables so I will be ready to fire it back up. The other inner fender well was installed and the vacuum can is hooked up again. Just have to get some gas, transmission fluid and should be ready to run again. I know the pictures of the dash aren't as clear. Bad lighting in a garage.

IMG_4183.JPG

IMG_4184.JPG

IMG_4186.JPG

IMG_4187.JPG

IMG_4188.JPG

IMG_4189.JPG

• Like 2

I looks like great. I see things done with quality you rarely see on a lot of restoration. The only thing that I would comment about is your choice of the speaker. I would have looked for an NOS speaker even if you really won't see it. That's the only thing that doesn't measure up with the rest of your great work.

Thanks for the comments fellas.

DJ, I looked high and low for a NOS speaker and no such luck. I just found used ones that were in just a bad as shape as mine. I'm keeping the original basket for later on down the road when I can get it rebuilt. I made the same mounting frame so changing it out wont be a major task and I installed the original wiring so it still plugs in like the original one with out hacking up wiring. 

I guess I mistook the difficulty of finding an NOS speaker. My apologies. I often search for NOS parts for my 56 and have seen speakers for my car on fleecebay. I guess they're probably different.

Keep up the outstanding work and keep cool. I hear it's been super hot in the SW.