Sign in to follow this  
Dodge1934

New LED headlights on old style bases

A few years back I bought some halogen lights on old bases... I think they came from Australia but I picked them up at Hershey... the taillights were fine but did draw on the battery when the brakes were applied... the headlights were way too much power draw on my poor 6 volt generator so I took them out the same day I put them in.. I don`t want to change from my 6 volt system

I assume LED lights won`t do the same thing.... is anybody getting there made yet on old style bases?...

Original bulbs just don`t compete on the road these days....

Thanks

I convert old lights to halogen all of the time. I was not aware that there were 6 volt bulbs for these but it is always good to learn what is available.

There is a guy on ebay that sells a one wire 6 volt alternator in pos or neg earth. This works well in lue of going 12 volts. In my experience going to 12 volts is only a good idea if it is a complete rewire job. And if you are going that far then change out the gauges too.

There are shunts and such that will let you use your old 6V gauges, wipers, radios, blowers and such but are tricky at best.

Nothing wrong with the old 6 volt systems if they are in good shape.

I agree 6 volt systems are fine... make sure you get the larger battery and insure your main cable is a thick one designed for 6 volt systems... the 12 volt cables tend to be too thin.

I contacted the LED folks mentioned above.... they weren`t much help except to say they don`t have them and to do custom production would take a significant order.. I don`t want to be in the business... just want the lights FYI

6-volt halogen bulbs for tail and brake lights, etc. have been around for a long time and there are several sources, Bill Hirsch for one. I've installed them in several prewar 6-volt cars; they do draw a bit more current but nothing the generator couldn't cope with easily.

I installed quartz-halogen bulbs from Classic And Vintage Bulbs in Australia in my car maybe 10 years ago. They had two different wattages available and I went with the lower (25w) version as they draw about the same power as the #1000 bulbs that had been in there before. By my calculation the 35w bulbs they also had would have overloaded not only the generator but the headlight switch.

Since a typical quartz-halogen bulb puts out about 40% more light for the same power as an incandescent bulb, going with the same wattage still gave more light.

I've been very pleased. But will admit that having Uvira do their magic on the reflectors, installing a new harness and putting a hidden voltage regulator on the third brush generator all are part of the package so how much of the improvement was the bulbs and how much is attributable to other fixes/upgrades might be debatable.

All that said, if plug-in 6v positive ground LED headlight bulbs became available I would be very interested. LEDs are very efficient and it might be possible to get up to modern lighting standards without overloading the generator.