1930 model verification?

studebrooklyn

hello pre-war buick friends -

can anyone confirm the model of this 1930 victoria coupe?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380755220322?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

the artillery wheels and lack of sidemounts led me to think originally that it was a 58, but the owner confirmed a wheelbase measurement on 132''.

it is advertised as a model 68.

many thanks!

hello pre-war buick friends -

can anyone confirm the model of this 1930 victoria coupe?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380755220322?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

the artillery wheels and lack of sidemounts led me to think originally that it was a 58, but the owner confirmed a wheelbase measurement on 132''.

it is advertised as a model 68.

many thanks!

Sidemounts and wire wheels were a factory option on these cars although one cannot swap one for the other without making additional changes to the chassis. Mine has wire wheels and sidemounts. Of those that still remain today (and there are not many left) most I have seen have artillery wheels and about 50% have no sidemounts.

Edited by michaelod (see edit history)

Sidemounts and wire wheels were a factory option on these cars although one cannot swap one for the other without making additional changes to the chassis. Mine has wire wheels and sidemounts. Of those that still remain today (and there are not many left) most I have seen have artillery wheels and about 50% have no sidemounts.

hi - thanks so much for the info!

just curious what you mean by: "Sidemounts and wire wheels were a factory option on these cars although one cannot swap one for the other without making additional changes to the chassis. "

why would chassis need to be altered for wheels or sidemounts?

Michael,

My response applied specifically to the wire wheels, not the sidemounts. The wire wheels bolt on exactly as does a modern wheel where artillery wheels do not. Cars as delivered from the factory with artillery wheels are therefore not compatible with wire wheels.

Are you the new owner of the Victoria Coupe? I notice the auction closed early.

Edited by michaelod (see edit history)

Hi Michael -

Thanks for explaining. I understand, you'd have to change all the wheel hardware in order to swap to wire wheels.

I think the artillery wheels are neat on this car.

Yes, I am the new owner of the Victoria coupe. Went up and drove it yesterday; really drives well and is mechanically sound which is what sold me.